WIP Harley King Tour Pak Install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP Harley King Tour Pak Install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WIP Harley King Tour Pak Install

Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery. I would like to thank all of you that have posted your ideas and tour pak installs. I have gotten many ideas from your efforts and they have been shamelessly copied here.

Here is a start of a WIP (Work In Progress) HD King Tour Pak install. After reading many threads, studying your posted pictures, considering various options and examining the tour pak that I bought, I decided to try the following.

My tour pak has tomb stone shaped recession on the bottom that backs up against the internal steel plate. The recession was also filled with ridges in the ABS for various HD tube mounts which would prevent a plate from being flush mounted. I considered hacking down one of the HD mounts but decided against it.

To utilize a matching tomb stone shaped flush mounting plate, I needed to get rid of the various ABS ridges. Here is a shot after I have shaved the ridges off.

Attachment 13711

I measured the depth of the recession and then bought a piece of 7075 1/4" Aircraft aluminum. I replicated the radius-ed corners of the recession onto the aluminum plate. I used a sawsall for the rough cuts and finished up the radius with a grinding wheel. I then used the grinding wheel and orbital sander to round all of the edges. Sorry, no CNC toys.

Attachment 13712

I then shot a coat of primer on the bottom of the tour pack and gave it a test fit. The plate sits flush in the recession and is pretty much level with the non-recessed bottom of the tour pak.

Attachment 13713Attachment 13714

I have to wait for the wifey to finalize the how far back the mounting holes will be made. After a quick dry fit, I anticipate they will be around the front/back middle of the plate.

Note: I did not extend the plate over the non-recessed portion of the tour pak because the steel plate inside is not tight against this portion of the trunk, thus would only serve as a shelf and not a bolting surface. Also, the HD hardware does not cover these areas either.

Attachment 13715

With this configuration, the top steel plate, ABS bottom and aluminum plate are all tightly sandwiched against each other. This means I can bolt from the inside of the trunk sandwiching all 3 layers (and not just the aluminum plate). I will probably oversize the ABS holes and insert a washer in the over-sized ABS hole so not to stress the ABS when cranking the sandwich down. The sandwich will then be steel plate, washer, aluminum plate versus steel plate, ABS, aluminum plate.

I am also considering placing rubber bushings inside of the standoff legs so they stay on the bolts and make it easier to install/remove the tour pak with a single person.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery. I would like to thank all of you that have posted your ideas and tour pak installs. I have gotten many ideas from your efforts and they have been shamelessly copied here.
    Like the rest of us, you had to design your own mount. You are spot on, looking good. I still can't believe that no one markets a great looking, detachable trunk for this bike. Keep us posted! FWIW, I put mine on and take it off by myself too.

custom tour pack

I am manufacturing a custom tour pack.
    After seeing the one u put on some time back I decided to make my owm.
    Using pretty much the same mounting as mentioned in this post, the sandwich method.
    Prices range from $500.00 to $ 1000.00 dependig on paint, back rest,liner,latches hinges,and mounting hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Like the rest of us, you had to design your own mount. You are spot on, looking good. I still can't believe that no one markets a great looking, detachable trunk for this bike. Keep us posted! FWIW, I put mine on and take it off by myself too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SKSFOX

Custom tour pack

After seeing the one HD done by HIFLYER decided to make my owm.
    Using pretty much the same mounting as mentioned in a post, the sandwich method.2 steel plates and billett aluminum standoffs.
    Prices range from $500.00 to $ 1000.00 dependig on paint, back rest,liner,latches, hinges,and mounting hardware(It can be painted to color match)
    SKSFOX

Whoa... looking good T; way to improvise and make that plate.

Maybe at some point you'll show us that gap... and what you didn't like about the latches?

SKS, nice work! Any thoughts of doing a full size trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

Maybe at some point you'll show us that gap... and what you didn't like about the latches?

Got the measurement with the wifey on the bike, made the the standoffs, drilled the plate, bought some longer M8-1.25 pitch metric bolts, mounted the trunk and took it for a late test ride. Still need to paint the mounting hardware (may lower it by 1/8" to 1/4" yet, standoffs are currently 1" and 1.5"). Also have to add/wire the running/turn/brake LED lights.

I will post more pictures in this thread including the gap and the latches.

As for the weather stripping, I discovered I had some leftover plastic garden drip-line that is @ the same diameter as the inside of the weather stripping, so, I gave the weather stripping a "catheter" to fatten it up. Sprayed some WD-40 inside the weather stripping and was able to thread the plastic drip-line inside. The weather stripping was too long to "push the rope" in one piece, so I did half from one end and the other half from the other end. This improved the trunk seal and rattle, but the lid still has a slight shift when closed and leaned back on by the passenger. I am going to try lining the lip of the bottom tray with automotive door edge molding to see if that addresses the shift (descent latches would fix this).

I think I can improve the latches somewhat by thinning the underlying shims, else I will be looking for different locking latches.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

SKS, nice work! Any thoughts of doing a full size trunk?
    Yeah , ditto that. I like the looks of the pizza box, but if I'm gonna put something on there with the idea of on and off at a whim , then I think I'd want more useful space when the mood struck me that I needed the trunk.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by sksfox View Post
    Using pretty much the same mounting as mentioned in a post, the sandwich method.2 steel plates and billett aluminum standoffs.
    Prices range from $500.00 to $ 1000.00 dependig on paint, back rest,liner,latches, hinges,and mounting hardware(It can be painted to color match)
    Bravo!!!

Your bike looks like it was a Goldwing converted to a F6B.

How do I order one?need one for trip in July.

Please contact me by email(paulsperling123@yahoo.com) or 315-240-0740. Thank you