Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery. I would like to thank all of you that have posted your ideas and tour pak installs. I have gotten many ideas from your efforts and they have been shamelessly copied here.

Here is a start of a WIP (Work In Progress) HD King Tour Pak install. After reading many threads, studying your posted pictures, considering various options and examining the tour pak that I bought, I decided to try the following.

My tour pak has tomb stone shaped recession on the bottom that backs up against the internal steel plate. The recession was also filled with ridges in the ABS for various HD tube mounts which would prevent a plate from being flush mounted. I considered hacking down one of the HD mounts but decided against it.

To utilize a matching tomb stone shaped flush mounting plate, I needed to get rid of the various ABS ridges. Here is a shot after I have shaved the ridges off.

Attachment 13711

I measured the depth of the recession and then bought a piece of 7075 1/4" Aircraft aluminum. I replicated the radius-ed corners of the recession onto the aluminum plate. I used a sawsall for the rough cuts and finished up the radius with a grinding wheel. I then used the grinding wheel and orbital sander to round all of the edges. Sorry, no CNC toys.

Attachment 13712

I then shot a coat of primer on the bottom of the tour pack and gave it a test fit. The plate sits flush in the recession and is pretty much level with the non-recessed bottom of the tour pak.

Attachment 13713Attachment 13714

I have to wait for the wifey to finalize the how far back the mounting holes will be made. After a quick dry fit, I anticipate they will be around the front/back middle of the plate.

Note: I did not extend the plate over the non-recessed portion of the tour pak because the steel plate inside is not tight against this portion of the trunk, thus would only serve as a shelf and not a bolting surface. Also, the HD hardware does not cover these areas either.

Attachment 13715

With this configuration, the top steel plate, ABS bottom and aluminum plate are all tightly sandwiched against each other. This means I can bolt from the inside of the trunk sandwiching all 3 layers (and not just the aluminum plate). I will probably oversize the ABS holes and insert a washer in the over-sized ABS hole so not to stress the ABS when cranking the sandwich down. The sandwich will then be steel plate, washer, aluminum plate versus steel plate, ABS, aluminum plate.

I am also considering placing rubber bushings inside of the standoff legs so they stay on the bolts and make it easier to install/remove the tour pak with a single person.