New Google Maps? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Google Maps?

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon186 View Post
    On another note: MapQuest has a good feature many people may not be aware of that I really like. You know how Google Maps or Waze will navigate you to your destination by either fastest route or shorted distance. But they don't offer you the most fun route or best scenic view. If you go to MapQuest on your computer and put in your starting point and destination, you can then drag your route to different areas on the map to take you to the roads you really want to ride (it's like waypoints). Then send the link to your smart phone and it will navigate you on that custom route. I find that feature very useful.
    That's cool!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I use a Zumo and a Iphone... my last long trip the phone route was a hour longer than the Zumo...I use it as a backup but not my main GPS !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Mapquest!!!

That is nice, last year I went for an 8 hour ride one way stayed overnight and then 8 hours the next day home without leaving Missouri and I never rode on the highway. Google maps would not let me do that. I could plot the course out by moving points and then print the map. But I could not get it to stay in my phone. It always wanted the start and end points and would fix the course to the fastest path.

Cool I love this, I like to stay off the highway sometimes.

Steve

How do you mean Steve? Does mapquest give you waypoints on your iPhone or not? I'm confused.

I am in the same boat sometimes I like to just backroad it all the way in. I have set my GPS up to do that and I have been places I normally wouldn't have been. You can set it up for back roads on Google maps but since I normally keep my phone on my side it's only good for music as I ride
    Matt Russell
    First Officer
    SCRC Chapter 189
    Orangeburg SC

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluciano View Post
    How do you mean Steve? Does mapquest give you waypoints on your iPhone or not? I'm confused.
    If you go to MapQuest on your computer and put in your starting point and destination, you can then drag your route to different areas on the map to take you to the roads you really want to ride (it's like waypoints). Then send the link to your smart phone and it will navigate you on that custom route.

Nice concept... but execution gets a grade of "C". I just tried using this Mapquest drag-route-to-change feature and it's a bit of a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I use a Zumo and a Iphone... my last long trip the phone route was a hour longer than the Zumo...I use it as a backup but not my main GPS !!!
    Hey Steve did you end on a dead end road or in some water on that trip?...lol My fellow Smokey Riders know what I'm talking about!!!
    2004 R6
    2006 Black Ducati 749s
    2007 Special Edition ZX-14
    2009 HD V-Rod Night Rod
    2013 Honda F6B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]