Backrest installation on standard model: drill holes or 1 of 2 attachment options?

Thread: Backrest installation on standard model: drill holes or 1 of 2 attachment options?

Backrest installation on standard model: drill holes or 1 of 2 attachment options?

Anyone able to provide some clarification.

I have a standard F6B that I recently bought a used backrest and brackets for.

I did not realize that I needed Honda's OEM attachment kit as well.

I have two questions.

One, per BikeMP3, it sounds like you can drill holes in the existing covers to install either the backrest, rack or both?

I am fine with this option, but am not clear if I would still need Honda's OEM kit.

Second question is, if I do need a kit does anyone know if Show Chrome's part # B52-830M is a less expensive alternative to Honda's unit, Item#:HO08L73MJG670ZB? It looks like it only comes with two pieces instead of four, so I'm not sure if it accomplishes the same task.

If you are able, I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you.

Also, one more question.

Does anyone know the specs on the four bolts needed to attach the backrest and brackets to the bike?

Length, mm, thread pattern? For backrest only, no rack.

Quote Originally Posted by buda315 View Post
    Anyone able to provide some clarification.

I have a standard F6B that I recently bought a used backrest and brackets for.

I did not realize that I needed Honda's OEM attachment kit as well.

I have two questions.

One, per BikeMP3, it sounds like you can drill holes in the existing covers to install either the backrest, rack or both?

I am fine with this option, but am not clear if I would still need Honda's OEM kit.

Second question is, if I do need a kit does anyone know if Show Chrome's part # B52-830M is a less expensive alternative to Honda's unit, Item#:HO08L73MJG670ZB? It looks like it only comes with two pieces instead of four, so I'm not sure if it accomplishes the same task.

If you are able, I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you.
    I *think* that Show Chrome mount is only for the Show Chrome rack, and can't be used with the Honda rack. I'm not at all sure about this... maybe someone can clarify.

As for drilling holes in the existing covers, I would not recommend that. First, it wouldn't be easy to get the alignment right; you may end up with a hack job. Second, the surfaces to be drilled are curved which again adds to the difficulty. Third, you may very well want to run the bike without the rack; I know I did and was glad I still had the original inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by buda315 View Post
    Also, one more question.

Does anyone know the specs on the four bolts needed to attach the backrest and brackets to the bike?

Length, mm, thread pattern? For backrest only, no rack.
    I don't have the specs; if I can remember, I'll try to take one to Home Depot tomorrow and use their bolt-size tool to get this info.

I don't have the specs; if I can remember, I'll try to take one to Home Depot tomorrow and use their bolt-size tool to get this info.[/QUOTE]

That is very kind of you.

Thanks for offering... if you remember

Regarding a possible, and probable, hack job. I'm not too worried as I will run a backrest always and the bracket covers nearly all of the covers.

I'm still unclear what purpose the attachments serve. Mind you I haven't seen them in person or even take the trunk apart to see what it looks like yet. I assumed four bolts would screw into the bike, even if I had to drill access holes into the covers. Do the attachments make it more secure?

Cool The Holes

I did this last night for the Givi rack mount from Twisted throttle, you can download the installation instructions from them and there's a template you cut out and stick to the top of the small panels you pop out.

I actually copied the sheet that I got as the were instructions on the reverse side, checked the scale was still correct (it's on the template side) cut out, took a minute and prayed to the god of workshops before pressing center through with a soldering iron and using a 20mm step drill to do the job. Worked out rather well. Haven't found the part no's for the blue 2015 color yet so I elected to do this.

Anyways.. Pics..

Attachment 13736Attachment 13737Attachment 13738

And the brackets.

Attachment 13740

Looks good to me.

What attachments did you use, OEM, Show Chrome, or something else?

Do think the attachments, the parts poking through, are essential or would bolts running through the holes into the frame or screw holes of the bike suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryster View Post

I did this last night for the Givi rack mount from Twisted throttle, you can download the installation instructions from them and there's a template you cut out and stick to the top of the small panels you pop out.

I actually copied the sheet that I got as the were instructions on the reverse side, checked the scale was still correct (it's on the template side) cut out, took a minute and prayed to the god of workshops before pressing center through with a soldering iron and using a 20mm step drill to do the job. Worked out rather well. Haven't found the part no's for the blue 2015 color yet so I elected to do this.

Anyways.. Pics..

And the brackets.

Good info!