Arsenal of Democracy - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal of Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    My promotion of hope :

1) to cherish a desire with anticipation ,

2) to desire with expectation of obtainment ,

3) and expect the best with confidence .
    4) and carry a big stick.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    My best teacher was Miss Thompson in HomeEc. As I said history is against you. Keep on hoping and I'll keep watch.
    So tell us about this Miss Thompson Stro.

Wish I coulda been there to see this.

As a side note... why do so many insist on calling ourselves a democracy? We are not; we're a republic.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    As a side note... why do so many insist on calling ourselves a democracy? We are not; we're a republic.
    Hummmmm...

Republic(noun): a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them. any body of persons viewed as a commonwealth. a state in which the head of government is not a monarch or other hereditary head of state.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/republic

Democracy(noun): government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/democracy

I guess the key words are "State" verses "Government", the Republic of California is in the Democracy of the United States....correct?

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Other delta: we don't have a "free electoral system" - we have an electoral college.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Using democracy is just a simple reference to a philosophical set of governance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

How would you call the System , which in "Democracy Principals" support Monarchies and in the same time militarily overthrowing democratically elected leaders of another countries ? I just want to clarify the meaning of Hypocrisy .

Republic yes

" I pledge alegience to the flag of The United States of America. And to the Republic for witch it stands". That should end the question of A Democracy or a Republic. Either way you describe our Country, It is the BEST on the Planet! If someone disagrees, then they can go somewhere else to live. I'm proud to be an American. We don't always do the correct things, but no other place does either.

I understand the colloquial usage... but it's inaccurate. I wouldn't call a chicken a turkey and I don't refer to my bathtub as a tea kettle.

I also don't get how it seems to be a "Patriotic" fad to tell people who disagree to move out; this can be argued to be just the opposite... un-Patriotic... un-American... un-Free Thinking... and simplistic. If I wanted to live in a country where we were all FORCED to think in lock-step with each other, well, I guess there are countries that favor that.

We as a PEOPLE are great... and we as a GOVERNMENT are also pretty darn good. But as a GOVERNMENT, we've also done some conniving under-handed, and, yes, hypocritical things. Shall we put on the rose-colored glasses and look upon these things with smiles? Or shall we recognize such actions for what they are and strive to be better?

We show no integrity if we can't recognize our own faults; the greatest honor that can be bestowed upon the guys who died in WWII is to hold ourselves to high standards and continue being a place worth defending.