Potential new guy
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Potential new guy

Potential new guy

Hey everyone,

This subject has likely been covered but I'd appreciate respectable feedback. I'm highly interested in the F6B, coming from cruisers already. I have both a Harley Wide Glide and a Victory Kingpin. I like both, albeit for different purposes. The Victory is my real bike and I put about 10k a year on it. I like to travel and enjoy several days on the road camping. The Victory is outstanding and has served me well. But...I'm curious for change. I feel I've been gravitating towards travel comfort, high mileage, and enjoying the road...more than loud pipes, bars, and ape hangers.

Other reasons for a change include ergonomics for back and shoulders, along with extras like a radio and navigation. I have done the Victory demo and do not care for the Cross Country bikes. My feet are too far foward in that riding position, putting a strain on my upper back/neck. The Vision is nice, but still selling myself on the looks. I recently rented a Harley Ultra for 200 miles and loved it. I was only able to ride the F6B for about 15 miles as a "test ride", but loved it too.

So I've narrowed it down to the Harley Ultra or F6B. I like the Harley stock. Not into modifying much. My objective is too get on the bike, ride, and enjoy the scenery and rack up some miles...in relative motorcycle comfort.

Everyone that has a F6B came from something, so feedback from those coming from Harley/Victory cruiser style is welcomed.

Thanks!

Welcome!
    If you search for Kingpin or even victory, you can see why some other people switched over.
    I have no experience with Victory.
    I have had Harleys, but a '73 Sporty and now a '95 Heritage.
    I have had a '98 Valk and an '81 Wing.

You mentioned a few topics:
    Nav - F6B has no stock Nav system, although many have found ways to mount GPS devices.
    Camping - with a luggage rack, or a trailer, I'm sure provisions can be made to accommodate, but for a larger percentage of us here, "camping" means the Holiday Inn.
    Back & shoulder issues - a few riders were unable to get the proper seat/handlebar relationship for their personal issues/injuries and invested in the "Heli-Bars" and either Ultimate or Russell Day Long (RDL) seats.
    Again, search for "shoulder" or "lower back" and a few threads will come up.

Having written all that? As a "heavy cruiser" - this bike is just unbelievable from a handling and power perspective.
    I do not know how much the Ultra's amenities are worth to you as far as the difference in cost.

Use the Search function and do some reading....lots of info in the annals.
    Again, welcome aboard.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I appreciate the response. I would add a navigation if needed. And I should clarify, by camping I mean strapping a tent and sleeping bag to the back seat. No trailer. Oh, and I never ride 2 up. So far both the ultra and F6B put the seat and handlebars right where I like them.

if only between the Ultra and F6B then you have two distinct bikes with about as far apart in performance, and ergonomics as you can get.

The Ultra will not perform nearly as well or handle as well as the F6B. If you are into playing in the twisties, or twisting the wick then the F6B is a great bike.

Unless you spend big bucks the Harley wont even come close to running with this Honda.

The seating position is forward controls for the Ultra, and mid for the F6B. I still find that bothersome.

The ultra is easier to work on in that you don't have tupper wear to remove to get stuff done.

The F6B does not need much other than an air filter that is a real pain to do every 24,000 miles. Normal oil and filter can be done without removing anything.

Paint and finish are 100% better on any Harley than the F6B. The Harley will hold value much better than the F6B.

Yes I've heard about the paint on the F6B and not that concerned. I mean yes, it is a thought, but I aim to ride, not always clean. The resale does concern me however. Only because you just never know what will happen and what you may want next and selling could be an issue with the F6B. I LOVE the idea of oil and filter only on the F6B in comparison to the Ultra.

Not riding two up gives you nearly a third more luggage add on. You can add a luggage rack and then as well the back seat becomes another storage spot. The biggest luxury of the F6B is the interchangeability as morphing capability. You have most surely landed in the right forum to see the multitude of configurations these folks have. Welcome to the show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Yes I've heard about the paint on the F6B and not that concerned. I mean yes, it is a thought, but I aim to ride, not always clean. The resale does concern me however. Only because you just never know what will happen and what you may want next and selling could be an issue with the F6B. I LOVE the idea of oil and filter only on the F6B in comparison to the Ultra.
    I have owned both the Victory Kingpin Tour and the Vision Tour..Both excellent bikes in my judgment and I could have kept either one..I took a ride on the F6B and was again "hooked" on the smoothness and power of the flat six motor. I also felt it handled better than the heavier Vision...I have never owned a Harley and after riding a couple probably never will....For highway touring you cannot find a better road bike, in my opinion, than the Victory Vision..Great wind protection, adjustable windshield, smooth and stable, big floorboards to move your feet around and just a great bike on the super-slab...I don't ride two-up any more and longer trips are a thing of the past, so the F6B works great for me and I would consider it the nicest/best bike I have owned out of the 16 or so I have had....I would not hesitate to buy one any day over what HD offers...unless your into noise, shakes, and the "good-old-boy" thing, I think you will be very happy with the Honda..I added a Baggershield windshield, Mustang seat, Cobra pipes, Kury grips, and extra chrome goodies and I am good to go!!!

Nice to hear from a previous Victory owner. Yes, I would agree the Vision is awesome on the open road, hence why I was very serious about it. At this point of my riding I've found the loud pipes to become an annoyance on longer rides, especially in the mtns. I'm a day long ride into the Smokies where I live, so mtn twisties are what I ride.

I came from a Kawaski Nomad.
    I'm 6'1" and the f6b is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever driven. I have had a back surgery survived 21 yrs beating up my body in the military and this bike relaxes me. I have added nothing for comfort with regards to seat or pegs because it is friggin comfortable as it is, no aches or pains after driving long distances. It's a powerhouse full of torque and just plain fun to ride.
    Good luck with your choice just make it based of what you feel when you ride.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Nice to hear from a previous Victory owner. Yes, I would agree the Vision is awesome on the open road, hence why I was very serious about it. At this point of my riding I've found the loud pipes to become an annoyance on longer rides, especially in the mtns. I'm a day long ride into the Smokies where I live, so mtn twisties are what I ride.
    Okay, the F6B will certainly feel better on those roads...having said that, somewhere on these pages is a video of me on a fully loaded F6B chasing my buddy (Amateur racer) on a not-so-stock Road Glide on Hwy 129 (or 119?) and I am able to hang, but certainly not get by him. I'm saying the Harley is capable in the right hands with the right mods. Stock Harley? I don't think it would have been an issue of "close."

This might be it...and yes, Hwy 129/19 in GA - a favorite of sportbikes.
    https://www.facebook.com/53driver/vi...31397551956575
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce