Potential new guy - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Potential new guy

I went for the '15 for the cruise and the potential for resale even though there were awesome deals on the '13/'14 . I think the factory cruise is great and may be a desirable option to future buyers. Is it worth $4K? Time will tell, I suppose. I sure enjoyed it on my Arkansas trip during the extended highway sections!

Regardless, the F6B is an incredible motorcycle. I feel this bike has brought back the simple joy of just riding. On my prior bikes, I was falling into the feeling of needing a destination to go somewhere. Now, I just ride and love every second!!

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Ok, just got back from the dealer. Here's the scoop with both trades;
    NEW 2013 Black - no cruise, no abs, no heated grips
    Vs
    NEW 2015 Matte Black - + abs, heated grips, cruise
    I'm confused. The 2015 F6B is not available with ABS in the USA. And, matte black has never been offered as a factory color.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

I'll have to double check on the abs. Thought so, but you make a good point. The color is a matte black/grey color. Charcoal maybe?? I took a photo of it. Let me see if I can load it.

No ABS, common mistake. I thought mine had them for a week after I bought it. You get that DELUXE sound in your head and you think it has a coffee maker as well. Matte Silver for the 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

New 2013 vs new 2015 at a $4,000 difference... hmm... yeah cruise and heated grips can both be added for about $1,300 if you do the work yourself... and I agree with the above about no ABS being available in the American market.

If you take the 2013, the depreciation is essentially being erased. Personally, I'd lean in this direction but I'd see if I could squeeze another 1 or 2 grand out of the dealer; I bet these guys are getting a little nervous about their old new-stock.

I've had a 2004 Victory Touring Cruiser, and a 2012 Victory Crossroads. I had other bikes for sport but used the Vics for travel. I found that neither one was really great out on the road for big miles, because the sound and vibration was fatiguing, that's why I got the big Honda. I am still having problems with fatigue on long days because of the cramped quarters compared to the Vics, and the gear noise or whirring, really stinks. I'm not sure the Honda is an interesting enough machine to keep for the long term. I still have my 1951 Panhead I restored 25 years ago, and an early Confederate with a big s&s motor, only weighs 500# wet. Those bikes are fun on shorter rides, but aren't going to cut it out on the road like the F6b can, but coming from very mechanical type bikes, the Honda is capable, but a bit boring, not a keeper for me anyway. Just my opinion here.

The best handling Big Bike that has ever existed... is boring?

That's a head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    The best handling Big Bike that has ever existed... is boring?

That's a head scratcher.
    Per tozco...and that's cool.
    I have 2 quick thoughts:
    1. I think I'm ready for less mechanical intervention, if that's what he finds boring.
    2. I want to know what "heavy cruiser" he finds not boring????
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Smalls, I traded in my Yamaha FJR and Victory Cross Country bike for the F6B Deluxe. I found myself becoming more of a touring rider than a sport bike rider. The last couple of years, I go on 3-15 day motorcycle trips. And the Victory was supposed to satisfy that. I was having a lot of warranty problems with my Victory...approximately eight issues. And my Victory dealer/mechanic was almost 40 miles away. Victory parts are like gold...hard to get and rarely in stock. I did enjoy the comfort of the Victory, but when it came to performance, dealer and parts availability, it sucked. I was on a four day trip the week before my alternator died...I purchased the bike brand new and had it for less than a year. With all these warranty issues with the Victory, I could not part with the Yamaha...as that has been very reliable. Also, my maintenance costs would be at least $300 for each service at the Victory dealer.

I demoed the 2014 HD Street Glide and Ultra Limited CVO to see if that would be a reasonable alternative to the Victory. Well, I didn't care for the ride...at idle, both bikes rattled like a paint shaker. And when we were traveling at slow speeds around town, the bikes would get hot around the legs. When the demo crew asked me how I like the bikes, I told them...I thought this was the Rushmore line...where it made adjustments based on customer's wants...why does the bike rattle so much? Their response...it's always going to rattle...it's a Harley. Also Smalls...keep in mind all the maintenance costs...HD is expensive!!! I have a friend who purchased a 2014 Ultra Limited...he's had more warranty problems than me. But the good thing is...HD takes care of their customers...parts arrive fast, and HD will make it up to you.

Overall...I love my F6B...I'm so glad I purchased this bike...it handles great, faster than any Vic or HD, well balanced, easy to maintain, reliable, parts/dealer availability galore, comfortable, and I seem to have more people approach me about my F6B than my Cross Country and FJR combined. Even Harley guys come talk to me and ask me a ton of questions about it. Maintenance intervals are every 4,000 miles, and cost approx $150-180...way more reasonable.

Smalls, if you do get a F6B, definitely get a center stand with it...and heated grips. The ride is a little more cramped than the Victory or HD...but I just use the highway pegs...and all is happy. If you purchased a used B...then you are way ahead already and shouldn't worry too much about the resale value. I personally don't really use cruise control. I just purchase a $35 Go Cruise and a $10 CrampBuster...works great on long trips...or just to take my hand of the throttle for a minute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I can't thank everyone enough for the honest opinions! All appreciated!

VP8, your story sounds very familiar to me. Yes, Victory did steal my heart and I have loved that bike. It has provided many great adventures. The Harley and maint does deflect me a bit, and the Honda seems to attract my interest more with lower maint costs and smooth riding. Similar to you I've found riding many days at a time for the long stretch is what I enjoy, and the F6B provides the smooth version of that.

Often times on both my Harley and Victory I've found what sounds great around town (exhaust note) just doesn't appeal to the ear on mile 300 in the mtns. Also, the smooth highway riding is a plus on the F6B.

I'm slightly less worried about the cramp feel. When I ride my Victory I tend to keep my feet on the floorboards only. Adding some of the highway pegs on a F6B would be fine.

As for ABS, yes def glad I went back to check that! Cruise control is a must have on my next bike, but adding it to a 2013 doesn't scare me off, so if the price is right I'm gonna take it. I do wish I could buy private, but in order to get the F6B I'll be trading in my other bikes.

I'll keep you guys updated and hope to make a deal this week!!