Potential new guy - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Potential new guy

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Per tozco...and that's cool.
    I have 2 quick thoughts:
    1. I think I'm ready for less mechanical intervention, if that's what he finds boring.
    2. I want to know what "heavy cruiser" he finds not boring????
    The throttle on the F6B was far from boring in my opinion.

Of course, you could always do something like this with a Victory XC...

Attachment 13862
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

After owning Guzzi, Ducati, a Hayabusa, and now a Confederate, I just think the F6b is boring. It does not change direction quickly, nor does it have much ground clearance. It is big in weight and length and width, but has a cramped cockpit, I'm glad you guys love it, I'm just not sure it has worked out for me..
    The almost complete lack off mechanical presence or soul, is a problem for me. You guys like it, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by tozco View Post
    After owning Guzzi, Ducati, a Hayabusa, and now a Confederate, I just think the F6b is boring. It does not change direction quickly, nor does it have much ground clearance. It is big in weight and length and width, but has a cramped cockpit, I'm glad you guys love it, I'm just not sure it has worked out for me..
    The almost complete lack off mechanical presence or soul, is a problem for me. You guys like it, simple as that.
    I do understand your comments and even agree with some of it. And, you do have a very interesting experience base for reference. It's all about trade-offs and compromise, don't you think? For some, and apparently for you, a bike that runs quietly and smoothly is boring. I get that. For me, the BMW K12LT was like that. It was just too "automotive-like" for me. I couldn't wait to unload that thing. I guess what keeps me interested in the "B" is the combination of power, handling, comfort, looks, dependability, low operating and maintenance cost, etc. Maybe not all these features are the best available but as a package, pretty hard to beat.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Ken, you get what I'm talking about. I just thought anyone coming from American v-twin world should consider it from all of the angles.

In the past, I did the 1000 Ninja and then the Concourse. Got tired of laying on the tank and sore wrists. However, they were definitely fun rockets! Now, I'm just an older guy, looking for what the F6 offers me- all day comfort, power, style, and rely ability. At this time in my life, I'd rather be riding, than sitting in my garage twisting wrenches for a couple more HP. What are you thinking you want next?

Your question of what's next is a good one. I have been unable to find a mile eater that also excites me. Maybe a California 1400. Maybe a custom build on a RG. I'll probably finish out the season with the Honda. My wife sure likes it when she is along. Don't get me wrong the Honda is a really nice bike, I understand why so many guys love them!
    Mike

Did Moto Guzzi, so I don't understand the excitement you speak of when owning one of them.
    They are about the most uncomfortable,boring motorcycles I ever rode.
    No power,buzz box for a motor and as dependable as a Yugo.
    The only excitement I got from mine was when I made it back home.

I rather think riding the F6B is like driving a Mercedes, BMW ,Lexus, or Lincoln..Smooth quiet, comfortable, powerful and a generally nice ride..HD, Victory, Ducati, etc. are all nice bikes and each serves it own purpose..For me I will take the F6B as it does all I want and need it to do..Easy to ride, comfortable, quiet, smooth, powerful, etc.,etc. What ever "floats your boat" as they say....Ride safe

I get what you're saying Toz, I was just pulling your chain. I get the rumble and mechanical connection you feel on a v-twin and for guys who like machinery, there is certainly an appeal to that. My best description of it is when you drive an electric car for the first time; most times you have no idea if its' even running and the lack of feedback is the "boring" part.

However, my point is that the GL1800 is no electric car

No it doesn't put on a show and thump its' chest, it speaks quietly and walks softly. The excitement of a GL1800 comes about when you make this bike do what it is so adeptly made to do...RIDE...HARD... in any condition. The excitement also comes when you realize that you don't have the riding skills to max this bike out; unless you're in the top 5 or 10 % of riders, it'll take everything you can throw at it and ask for more.