Easy Stereo Add-on - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Easy Stereo Add-on

Okay, makes sense. Maybe some day I'll get in that far ...
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Okay, makes sense. Maybe some day I'll get in that far ...
    FWIW, page 9 of this PDF shows a couple of good pictures of the amplifier box.

Amplifier Box, see page 9

Audio Parts Diagram - Head Unit is #3, Amplifier is #14

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    FWIW, page 9 of this PDF shows a couple of good pictures of the amplifier box.

Amplifier Box, see page 9

Audio Parts Diagram - Head Unit is #3, Amplifier is #14

Thanks. Good info. I bookmarked it.

I am happy that I didn't have to get in anywhere that far for my upgrade, though.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by wildrooster View Post
    I am thinking about doing just this. I haven't taken off the seat yet to look at everything. Can you give me a description of how to connect to the amp.
    Sorry, I missed your question originally ...

Connecting the amp is pretty easy. You can take power straight from the battery. It's pretty close there. Fuse it, of course.

The amp has to be enabled. Right now, I am using the accessory out for that. It is right by the battery and was real convenient. Some time, I may track down the audio "on" wire and use it instead.

For the inputs, I used the rear OEM outputs which are right there also. It's a 4 pin plug on the brake side (you can see it in one of my pics). I used the high level inputs of the amp, so it was just plug and play with that wiring.

The amp outputs go to your speakers of choice. I like the housing of my speakers. And surprisingly, they sound pretty darn good. Better than my front speakers.

Hope that helps!
    Albuquerque, NM

So let me get this right the factory harness provides the input so it still uses the stock front input. Seems simple enough
    Matt Russell
    First Officer
    SCRC Chapter 189
    Orangeburg SC

Thanks. Good info. I bookmarked it.

I am happy that I didn't have to get in anywhere that far for my upgrade, though.
    I am working through my prioritized mod list while working up the courage to tap into the pre-amp lines in the harness between the head unit and the OEM amp to add a Biketronics BT4180. It would love to know the size of the stock amp to determine if the BT4180 would fit in the same box. Also need to find a pair of tour pak speaker pods (preferably 6.5" or 7.1") that don't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by wildrooster View Post
    So let me get this right the factory harness provides the input so it still uses the stock front input. Seems simple enough
    Yes, the front is all stock. The rear uses the OEM rear outputs (normally unused) to feed the new amp directly (via the high level inputs). So, now I can adjust the new amp to make the rear volume match the front volume, with the fader adjustment in the middle.

It sounds surprisingly good!
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I am working through my prioritized mod list while working up the courage to tap into the pre-amp lines in the harness between the head unit and the OEM amp to add a Biketronics BT4180. It would love to know the size of the stock amp to determine if the BT4180 would fit in the same box. Also need to find a pair of tour pak speaker pods (preferably 6.5" or 7.1") that don't break the bank.
    Wow, that's a lot of amp! Still it has about the same dimensions as mine. So, it should fit easily under the seat with free air around it. Then tap into the outputs of the OEM amp for your inputs. Pretty easy if it works.

Now, find a nice place for those behemoth speakers.
    Albuquerque, NM

Wow, that's a lot of amp! Still it has about the same dimensions as mine. So, it should fit easily under the seat with free air around it. Then tap into the outputs of the OEM amp for your inputs. Pretty easy if it works.

I have on question here. When you used the rear speaker output did you go and change the
    balance between the front and rear using the controls for the speakers or the mode conteols.
    I was just wondering if maybe that was the problem with output.
    shortleg

Amp won't fit in the OEM amp box. Did a quick measure last night without pulling the rear apart. It will also not fit under the left/right glove boxes so under the seat is the last option.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    I have on question here. When you used the rear speaker output did you go and change the
    balance between the front and rear using the controls for the speakers or the mode conteols.
    I was just wondering if maybe that was the problem with output.
    shortleg
    I was wondering the same thing last night. It looks like the bike only has front/back fader, not left/right balance. I checked mine last night and it is cranked all the way to the front.