Lane Splitting...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane Splitting...

Lane Splitting...

Interesting take on the safety of lane-splitting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Here in Calif. it is the way if ya want to get around the mass congestion found daily on our freeways, highways & byways. I have been safely splitting lanes for over 50 years (technically called lane sharing). It is endorsed by the CHP and there is a WRONG way and a RIGHT way to do it.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

lane splitting

I think it is an okay practice, in the right place. I think my F6 may be a bit wide to be splitting lanes, especially if you have extra footrests. I also have a dual-sport Honda 250, that would slip between the cagers just fine. I would hesitate to do it anywhere except for California, for 2 reasons. !st , its illegal everywhere else, 2nd, if other states passed the law to permit it, the drivers in their cars and trucks, wouldn't know how to react. I can picture many panic attack accidents.

A lot of out-of-state cagers will try to cut you off, including foreign tourist cagers.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Here in Calif. it is the way if ya want to get around the mass congestion found daily on our freeways, highways & byways. I have been safely splitting lanes for over 50 years (technically called lane sharing). It is endorsed by the CHP and there is a WRONG way and a RIGHT way to do it.
    Concur. That the video didn't cover the specifics of the California Lane Sharing by-laws was a bit troublesome.
    When I got my license in Long Beach, CA, it was "no more than 5 mph faster than traffic" and "no more than 15 mph in stopped traffic."

Is this still true?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    I think it is an okay practice, in the right place. I think my F6 may be a bit wide to be splitting lanes, especially if you have extra footrests. I also have a dual-sport Honda 250, that would slip between the cagers just fine. I would hesitate to do it anywhere except for California, for 2 reasons. !st , its illegal everywhere else, 2nd, if other states passed the law to permit it, the drivers in their cars and trucks, wouldn't know how to react. I can picture many panic attack accidents.
    I have no problems with lane splitting on my F6B even with the ergo footrest, but a person has to know their bikes limits like going between an 18 wheelers and city buses, the space can be a tad narrow and I'll just wait till one passes the other then go on my merry way. I run headlight on high and wave as I pass cages who move over to give me a little more room as I pass. I also get a lot of thumbs up from drivers as I pass with that good looking F6B

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Concur. That the video didn't cover the specifics of the California Lane Sharing by-laws was a bit troublesome.
    When I got my license in Long Beach, CA, it was "no more than 5 mph faster than traffic" and "no more than 15 mph in stopped traffic."

Is this still true?
    That is the general rules not "set in stone" law, but unless the LEO motorman who catches you is a azzclown you can do a tad more easily In fact I like a lot of riders like to follow the motormen as they lane split as they will run much faster and cages always open up more as they come through. Only a LEO motorman is going to catch you as LEO cages are just stuck in traffic like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    That is the general rules not "set in stone" law, but unless the LEO motorman who catches you is a azzclown you can do a tad more easily In fact I like a lot of riders like to follow the motormen as they lane split as they will run much faster and cages always open up more as they come through. Only a LEO motorman is going to catch you as LEO cages are just stuck in traffic like everyone else.
    Thanks. They (the private MSF instructing company) also told us that "if you are ticketed while lane splitting for speed/danger/whatever, that you will be found guilty because (as you mentioned) only motormen will get you and if they decide you are unsafe, you probably are."

Can you comment on that good sir knight?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    A lot of out-of-state cagers will try to cut you off, including foreign tourist cagers.
    But as you know when the traffic is bumper to bumper, side by side ain't much they can do other than purposely try the squeeze play and that is why I carry a pocket full of 5/8" ball bearing. Ball bearings are self cleaning, roll off the freeway and leaving no evidence. I have also been know to remove a few driver side mirrors to cages with my size 15 boot who obviously try and play the "you ain't going to pass me" game.

Now before someone gets their panties in a wad, I do no endorse doing anything illegal or destructive to my fellow commuters, but when it is an obvious attempt to hurt, maim or even kill me while doing something perfectly legal I will respond in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Thanks. They (the private MSF instructing company) also told us that "if you are ticketed while lane splitting for speed/danger/whatever, that you will be found guilty because (as you mentioned) only motormen will get you and if they decide you are unsafe, you probably are."

Can you comment on that good sir knight?
    Basically that is very true, but I have found the motormen are more on the look out for bad cage drivers and due to their expert skills know when a two wheeler is over their head while splitting.
    I have a nephew who is a 6 yr. veteran motorman with the CHP in the LA area and as much and as long as I have been on two wheels, 50+ yr. and conceder my skills above average he is superior in his ability to make his machine walk, talk & dance like no other. I have MUCH respect for the CHP motormen.