Lane Splitting... - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lane Splitting...

On riding in the center of the lane I agree. Car goes over it and you run into or onto it. Kinda like drafting an 18 wheeler. They hit something it goes under the truck and you see it way too late.Thye wont stop or even slow down for animals in the road..Besides,that black streak in the middle of the lane is oil and anti freeze and whatever else leaks from cars that diminish my stability.
    On lane splitting or sharing,I used to do it all the time before I knew it was illegal. It just makes sense to so I did. One thing I would add is not only watch the cagers eyes,check their front wheels to see if they are moving over in the lane . Stay alert to everything and yes,cover the controls.
    My latest experience in Colorado where it is illegal was getting stuck in morning traffic,just crawling and long stop intervals so I went to the apron which was about the width of a lane.Lots of debris and sand so I went about 10 15 mph. Cager saw me coming up and pulled into the apron to cut me off !.Now for the good part.
    The space he left open -I just swerved into that,got in front of him went back to the apron and kept going. I would have been furious but the joke was so good I just laughed the rest of the trip.
    The real question though is why he would do that,I was not and would not be in his way?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfndad View Post
    That is correct, you misunderstood what I said, I stated if you ride in the middle you can't see what's coming at you and a car or truck won't hit it and you might.
    (I learned was don't ride in the center of the lane)
    Ahhhh... got it. Yes, I too like riding in the tire tracks of the car ahead of me for the same reason.

However, when cars are coming up behind me to pass in an adjacent lane, I'm not yet sure what position is best. Do I stay in the far tire track to give the passing car more room... or should I move over to the near tire track to make sure the passing car doesn't pull into my lane too soon. Any opinions on this?

Quote Originally Posted by grendl View Post

Cager saw me coming up and pulled into the apron to cut me off !.Now for the good part.
    The space he left open -I just swerved into that,got in front of him went back to the apron and kept going. I would have been furious but the joke was so good I just laughed the rest of the trip.

The real question though is why he would do that,I was not and would not be in his way?
    We're all a bit frustrated in traffic and drivers who do this feel like they're being cut-in-front-of. You may have been on the apron but at some point you'll need to get back into the lane... thereby getting ahead of everyone else. Even so, the cager was being petty and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Ahhhh... got it. Yes, I too like riding in the tire tracks of the car ahead of me for the same reason.

However, when cars are coming up behind me to pass in an adjacent lane, I'm not yet sure what position is best. Do I stay in the far tire track to give the passing car more room... or should I move over to the near tire track to make sure the passing car doesn't pull into my lane too soon. Any opinions on this?
    I normally ride in the left side of the lane as to be in view of the cage drivers left side mirror, but if I see a rear approaching cage is going to pass me in an adjacent lane, if needed I will change sides of the lane to be away from the cage to give them the most clearance I can, this would be on multi-lane freeways. On a two lane road I still ride to the far left of the center of the lane and will move to the right if being passed.

I have a few core beliefs or rules that I have rode by all my life that have saved my azz more than once.
    1. I am invisible to every other vehicle on the road and ride accordingly.
    2. The only vehicles that can see me are out to kill me.
    3. Never forget rule number 1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Sounds right to me Larry; I was leaning towards those exact positionings.

And +1 on the Rules to Ride By

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I have no problems with lane splitting on my F6B even with the ergo footrest, but a person has to know their bikes limits like going between an 18 wheelers and city buses, the space can be a tad narrow and I'll just wait till one passes the other then go on my merry way. I run headlight on high and wave as I pass cages who move over to give me a little more room as I pass. I also get a lot of thumbs up from drivers as I pass with that good looking F6B
    X 2.