Lane Splitting... - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane Splitting...

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    That is the general rules not "set in stone" law, but unless the LEO motorman who catches you is a azzclown you can do a tad more easily In fact I like a lot of riders like to follow the motormen as they lane split as they will run much faster and cages always open up more as they come through. Only a LEO motorman is going to catch you as LEO cages are just stuck in traffic like everyone else.
    I too grew up in Calif. and spent a lot of time overseas. I always lane share when legal. So for more than 35 years I split lanes, but now being in Virginia I can tell you it pisses people off here because what I read it as they are stuck in traffic and why should I be able to move on when they can't. Second issue for the longest time bikes were all air cooled and it just wasn't real good for them to set in traffic and heat up.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfndad View Post
    I too grew up in Calif. and spent a lot of time overseas. I always lane share when legal. So for more than 35 years I split lanes, but now being in Virginia I can tell you it pisses people off here because what I read it as they are stuck in traffic and why should I be able to move on when they can't. Second issue for the longest time bikes were all air cooled and it just wasn't real good for them to set in traffic and heat up.
    Isn't it amazing how someone trapped in claustrophobic cage stopped on the super slab due to the mass congestion is mad at someone who is just trying to get along and not bother anyone by riding a less polluting, cheaper to operate vehicle and get to their destination sooner?
    Maybe some day the haters will look in a mirror and see themselves for what they are...I doubt it though.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Basically that is very true, but I have found the motormen are more on the look out for bad cage drivers and due to their expert skills know when a two wheeler is over their head while splitting.
    I have a nephew who is a 6 yr. veteran motorman with the CHP in the LA area and as much and as long as I have been on two wheels, 50+ yr. and conceder my skills above average he is superior in his ability to make his machine walk, talk & dance like no other. I have MUCH respect for the CHP motormen.
    Yes, any LEO on two wheels has been trained by the best of the best of the best. I tip my helmet to them every chance I get.

I actually have a CHP leather jacket. Weighs 478 pounds. A complete side of cow was used to make it.
    Even has the holes for the badge.
    Awesome riding jacket. Built in toy holder.
    I know when I start putting on some extra weight and I go to zip that jacket, I can only think, "Oh hell no. I do NOT want to have to buy another one of these."
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Isn't it amazing how someone trapped in claustrophobic cage stopped on the super slab due to the mass congestion is mad at someone who is just trying to get along and not bother anyone by riding a less polluting, cheaper to operate vehicle and get to their destination sooner?
    Maybe some day the haters will look in a mirror and see themselves for what they are...I doubt it though.
    Heck, in 1998 in San Diego/Miramar on the 805, I actually had people open their car doors so I couldn't get by.....and scream at me for being unsafe and questioning the authenticity of my ancestry.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Heck, in 1998 in San Diego/Miramar on the 805, I actually had people open their car doors so I couldn't get by.....and scream at me for being unsafe and questioning the authenticity of my ancestry.
    Yea the "good old days".
    Now with all the educational billboards, TV and print news in Calif. over the last few yr. the public has been made very aware that "lane sharing" is legal in Calif. and you can be heavily fined if you do something to purposely obstruct a riders progress.

Interesting video... but I didn't hear a compelling argument for why it's safe. I heard what they said were their reasons, but to me it sounded like justifications rather than sound reasons of safety. I don't think it's necessarily safer than not splitting... and I kinda think it's not even of equal safety as not splitting.

However, I do in fact lane split all the time but I do so out of convenience; why be held up by traffic if you don't need to be? It's not a legal practice in Florida, but oh well

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Interesting video... but I didn't hear a compelling argument for why it's safe. I heard what they said were their reasons, but to me it sounded like justifications rather than sound reasons of safety. I don't think it's necessarily safer than not splitting... and I kinda think it's not even of equal safety as not splitting.

However, I do in fact lane split all the time but I do so out of convenience; why be held up by traffic if you don't need to be? It's not a legal practice in Florida, but oh well
    The part about getting to the front of the queue whilst stopped for a red light and that keeps cagers from hitting you from behind was the only "safer" thing I took away from that video.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

cherry picking stats?

According to the video, lane splitting is 'safer' because it reduces rear-end collisions (30% fewer in CA vs TX and FL). They don't mention any possible increase in lane-change collisions or sideswipes. Are they cherry picking their safety stats?
    hossners in OR

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

I tend to agree with you there with this caveat, when inline bumper to bumper, side by side with cages my biggest fear being rear-ended by a cage driver who is scanning way ahead at brake lights and not paying attention to what is right in front of them. I have had way more close calls inline than I have had while splitting and even bumped and pushed into the cage in front of me while stopped. Another nice advantage of "lane sharing" is the ability to go to the head of the line at a stop light.

Quote Originally Posted by hossners View Post
    According to the video, lane splitting is 'safer' because it reduces rear-end collisions (30% fewer in CA vs TX and FL). They don't mention any possible increase in lane-change collisions or sideswipes. Are they cherry picking their safety stats?
    hossners in OR
    Not sure what their sources for numbers are.
    I like to see the raw data and the method by which it was gleaned and recorded.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce