I'm Pissed Off - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pissed Off

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    You got it Stroguy, those are the right ones. I went with them because the are for marine use and I ride in all kinds of weather .......
    NavVet,

Did you consider these 2x30 set with projector lenses? They look to be the same size with longer distance output.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-30W-6X5W-o...algo=undefined

Attachment 13906

Attachment 13912

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post

I'll keep you informed as to my decision being the correct one or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    From the brief review of the ad for these lights, several concerns immediately arise. First, they claim 0.4 amps draw per fog light. Even at a running voltage of 14 volts, that equates to only 5.6 watts, NOT the 10 watts they claim. Second, they will be lucky to get 100 lumens per watt so the total lumen output per fog light is more like 560 lumens, NOT the 800 lumens they claim. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting pretty sick and tired of all the false and misleading advertising I'm seeing these days .
    I hear ya Ken... but is the problem one of advertising maximum ratings that are different from typical usage? Would 10W and 800 lumens be the max rating on the LED's... and then 5.6W and 560 lumens be more of a typical usage?

I understand what you are saying Str8 .... I have also been burned also by cheap quality. I am a retired USN Electronics Tech and am in the RTP, NC area (the location of Cree) and I have personal knowledge as to the durability of these "marine grade" lights (use them on a friends boat) and feel very confident in them.

I am not recommending them for anyone else's use, just saying what I am using. I have put 8,000 miles on my bike in the last 10 months in all kinds of weather and they have helped me see the road, but more importantly, be seen .....

Of course, saving on them also lets me enjoy more
    If they work good for you, then by all means, recommend them from the mountain top

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    NavVet,

Did you consider these 2x30 set with projector lenses? They look to be the same size with longer distance output.

Attachment 13906
    Any bets on how long until we see LED lights with adjustable beam patterns?

Driving lights made for distance typically have narrow beams, which doesn't pickup roadside critters as well as flood beams... but flood beams don't lightup as far down the road.

Someone posted a brilliant idea that I may end up trying; putting a long distance spotlight on one side and a wide pattern floodlight on the other. Would this give you the best pf both worlds, or result in lackluster performance on both fronts?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

Any bets on how long until we see LED lights with adjustable beam patterns?

Driving lights made for distance typically have narrow beams, which doesn't pickup roadside critters as well as flood beams... but flood beams don't lightup as far down the road.

Someone posted a brilliant idea that I may end up trying; putting a long distance spotlight on one side and a wide pattern floodlight on the other. Would this give you the best pf both worlds, or result in lackluster performance on both fronts?

I have read about that configuration on off-road bikes (1 spot + 1 flood), but have never tried it myself.

I was thinking the same thing with these 2 sets, they are cheap enough, both have 6 LEDs, about the same size, but their color and mounting brackets are slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    NavVet,

Attachment 13906

Attachment 13912
    Did not see those when I installed mine last year, they look interesting .....

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

If they work good for you, then by all means, recommend them from the mountain top

:
    Does that mean our buying the first round next time I'm down there ?????

Does that mean our buying the first round next time I'm down there ?????
    Yup... we'll be two F6's at the Harley bar

You got it Stroguy, those are the right ones. I went with them because the are for marine use and I ride in all kinds of weather .......
    Other than the connectors,do you have to do anything else so as not to damage the electrical system?
    I know nothing about how LEDs work with the F6B wiring.Could someone post a link or number for the exact connectors and the switch?
    I would like to add these to my bike.

The LED is just like any other lamp, just typically a lower current draw than an incandescent bulb. But these CREE LEDs can draw some juice. A relay is always a recommended form of wiring any new electrical device on your bike or auto. I believe most adding the driving lamps are using the prewired connector that is used on the full bore Goldwing which I am assuming is relay protected. I am looking for the link on wiring driving lights onto the F6B.

Edit....here is a great basic relay drawing for adding any electrical device to a system utilizing a relay.
    Just substitute your add on in place of the lamps here. Adjust fusing and wire colors to suit your needs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Thanks Stroguy.
    I was wondering about the need for a relay as I heard horror stories pertaining to guys installing CREE lighting on an UTV and burning up wiring harnesses.

Proper planning doesn't take long and precautions with relays is always advisable. These CREE off-road lamps when ganged can draw major amperage. Here is another good tool you should apply when planning. I never plan on going over 33% below maximum current rating for a wire before upping to the next larger AWG, which going down in AWG goes up in physical wire size.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Take a look at this puppy.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/92161em

If you ain't not planning on a nearly doubled current draw of 15 amps you are asking for burnt wiring. These lamps are awesome but plan ahead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver