Driver's Backrest for stock seat - Utopia vs Smart Mount - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which driver's backrest do you have?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Utopia - I'd buy it again

17 42.50%
  • Utopia - I wouldn't buy it again

3 7.50%
  • Smart Mount - I'd buy it again

17 42.50%
  • Smart Mount - I wouldn't buy it again

3 7.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driver's Backrest for stock seat - Utopia vs Smart Mount

Unhappy Have Utopia BUT.......

I have the Utopia, but have not been overly impressed with the quality. For one thing, the bolts that secure it to the seat pan are only 1/4". After a trip up to Lake Superior last fall, I noticed that the seat seemed to be loose. Inspection revealed that the bolts had both sheared off, probably from bumpy roads. After removing the broken off portions, I drilled and tapped the mount for 5/16" high strength bolts and all seems to be good. The second issue is that the mount on the pad itself was off center, and no way to move it. I had to make a wider bracket and use washers on one side to move the pad back to a centered position.

So a little re-engineering and it works well, wouldn't ride without it.

Smart Mount

The pad only needs two screws because it has a steel pan inside the pad that they fasten through.

Any long time users of the smart mount that dont feel cramped?
    I was going to install a Utopia,but cant get past the looks.
    Seems only two options for rider backrests.

Doug

Cool

I just put the Utopia on and am "satisfied" with it. I agree with others that it might be a little big. I came from a Mustang seat on an older Valkyrie that I liked alot. I also agree I would like it a little lower so I plan to see about a little mod to lower it a little. I am getting used to it but still want to try it lower. I think it looks good with my show chrome rear backrest
    I woould add a PIC but I'm not smart enough to do it

I also installed the Smart Mount and have since taken it off due to being cramped and the backrest irritating my back. When I look at myself in shop windows (as you do ) I look like I'm sitting too far forward. I'm 6' and had it mounted to it's furtherest 'back' position. I'm thinking of a way to mount it to my MP3 Rear Rack as a pillion rest. I was happy with the quality and match for the materials to the Stock seat.

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Ok,still no one has answered my question.
    How do you keep water from seeping past the backrest and not soaking the seat foam?
    Utopia provides a thick vinyl plastic gasket with adheasive and velcro. When the backrest is removed the cover snaps over the hole and seals it as well.. Hard to explain and I can't find any photos on file. Actually keeps it dry...............Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

I decided to not install any backrest.
    I can not bring myself to slicing a seat.
    I also think either in rain,washing?etc. it would be impossible to totally keep water out of the foam.

Doug

Backrest 003.jpgBackrest 005.jpgBackrest 002.jpg
    I decided to not install any backrest.
    I can not bring myself to slicing a seat.
    I also think either in rain,washing?etc. it would be impossible to totally keep water out of the foam.

Doug
    With my back problems I have to have a back rest...Lol. The slicing is the easy part.. I cut into my Mustang seat and converted a Utopia to fit......................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

You would think some company would come up with a backrest that does not have to have the seat sliced to install it.

Doug

You would think some company would come up with a backrest that does not have to have the seat sliced to install it.

Doug

Doug I forgot to say I sealed around the post with Black 3m sealant Adhesive, though the Mustang leaks through the seams when it rains. Mustang say's thats the nature of the beast.......Dickie