High Performance Driving Lights
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: High Performance Driving Lights

High Performance Driving Lights

I've been in the market for some good driving lights but I'm having a hard time making a decision. I've been suggesting two brands to others who are seeking more light and I think I've narrowed my choices to one of these, but if there are other good driving lights out there, please advise. I'm not interested in fogs or conspicuity lights; I want to use the full 35W available on the OEM wiring to throw as MUCH light as FAR and WIDE down the road as possible. Also not interested in trying eBay lights; I'd rather have a known and trusted manufacturer who clearly publishes their light specs even if it costs more.

I *believe* both of these systems are small enough to tuck under the fairing beneath the headlights, and definitely small enough to mount under the mirrors. Each also produces about 3,000 lumens per light (6,000 total for two lights).

Clearwater Lights - Krista 2

The appeal of this system is it comes with a "dimmer" switch that allows you to dim the power and use these with your low beams; when low beams are on, the dimmer switch allows you to use a setting that won't blind oncoming traffic. However when you hit the high beams, the dimmer is bypassed and the lights turn on full strength.

The downside, if it is one, is that 85% of the light is concentrated in a 15 degree beam and the other 15% is concentrated in a 45 degree beam. Using this generic illustration it's clear that these lights are made for distance... and I'm wondering if they'll give me enough side coverage... ?

Rigid Industries - D2 Series

Rigid Industries takes a slightly different approach in that they offer different versions of their lights to be chosen according to your use. The graphs below are from the RI website and show the different versions.

If you got one driving and one hyperspot, would that be a better setup than having two "Krista's"?

Outside coverage...?

Use a 'quasi-beaming' style light in an angled mount in the fog light bay and throw those to the outside?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I have the dually d2 driving lights mounted in the oem fig light location. They are very bright nice and wide but they don't shine as far as the hight beam and I do get flashed oNce in a while.

Before I solved similar to yours dilemma , I was reading on this Forum comments related to all kinds of experiments. Most were suggesting HID conversions , which I knew couldn't apply for the simple reason , that GW headlight optic units are not designated for that purpose and can NOT provide expected results . Those aftermarket HID sets produce much better glare and radiation effects , but DO NOT increase much expected illumination ahead of the bike . However , most of them do provide distructive brightness , causing blinding impression to the road users from opposite direction .

I found , that PIAA XTREME H7 WHITE PLUS bulbs , with 4000k ( Kelvin ) temp. are producing sharp , pure , clear , bright and white color , doubling conventional halogen's bulbs output and visibility , and most importantly - without drawing more power .

Made in Japan PIAA bulbs are proven quality and work for me without any modifications .
    Probably that's the only company , which is honoring "electrical guaranties" , replacing defective bulbs within ONE YEAR from the time of documented purchase .

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Use a 'quasi-beaming' style light in an angled mount in the fog light bay and throw those to the outside?
    I *think* I know what you're saying... that if you have two lights with narrow beams, you're suggesting angling them outward from each other for better coverage on the roadsides? Seems like that should work.

Quote Originally Posted by thatonebiker View Post
    I have the dually d2 driving lights mounted in the oem fig light location. They are very bright nice and wide but they don't shine as far as the hight beam and I do get flashed oNce in a while.
    Why Dually's? I'm under the impression that these are different than D2's and only have half the lumens, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Before I solved similar to yours dilemma , I was reading on this Forum comments related to all kinds of experiments. Most were suggesting HID conversions , which I knew couldn't apply for the simple reason , that GW headlight optic units are not designated for that purpose and can NOT provide expected results . Those aftermarket HID sets produce much better glare and radiation effects , but DO NOT increase much expected illumination ahead of the bike . However , most of them do provide distructive brightness , causing blinding impression to the road users from opposite direction .

I found , that PIAA XTREME H7 WHITE PLUS bulbs , with 4000k ( Kelvin ) temp. are producing sharp , pure , clear , bright and white color , doubling conventional halogen's bulbs output and visibility , and most importantly - without drawing more power .

Made in Japan PIAA bulbs are proven quality and work for me without any modifications .
    Probably that's the only company , which is honoring "electrical guaranties" , replacing defective bulbs within ONE YEAR from the time of documented purchase .
    PIAA? Idk; the guys here eat and breathe lights and they are pretty down on the brand: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-halogen-bulb .

Why do you say these have double the output?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I *think* I know what you're saying... that if you have two lights with narrow beams, you're suggesting angling them outward from each other for better coverage on the roadsides? Seems like that should work.
    Maybe, but what I was attempting to communicate was that you could put the "long, narrow throw lights" in the headlamp area and then for outside coverage, use a medium/narrow beam lamp in the fog lamp mounts and angle them outboard.

Make more sense????
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

Why Dually's? I'm under the impression that these are different than D2's and only have half the lumens, no?

PIAA? Idk; the guys here eat and breathe lights and they are pretty down on the brand: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-halogen-bulb .

Why do you say these have double the output?
    CandlePowerForum was dated in 2012 . Having to many problems before , PIAA improved their products significantly and don't have past issues .

Why double ? Proprietary gas mixture is combined with an aerospace alloy filament that produces greater light output than its rated power consumption: i.e. 55W = 110W

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/52-H7-XT...gen-Bulbs.aspx

Again - works for me . Will I look for "better" one ? Any time and with Forum's help ( if available ) ...

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Maybe, but what I was attempting to communicate was that you could put the "long, narrow throw lights" in the headlamp area and then for outside coverage, use a medium/narrow beam lamp in the fog lamp mounts and angle them outboard.

Make more sense????
    You're some kind of genius Steve... yeah that makes sense now, brilliant again!

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    CandlePowerForum was dated in 2012 . Having to many problems before , PIAA improved their products significantly and don't have past issues .

Why double ? Proprietary gas mixture is combined with an aerospace alloy filament that produces greater light output than its rated power consumption: i.e. 55W = 110W

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/52-H7-XT...gen-Bulbs.aspx

Again - works for me . Will I look for "better" one ? Any time and with Forum's help ( if available ) ...
    Both PIAA and Hella have been off my list for a while; sounds like I should re-evaluate and re-consider using them... at least PIAA. Thanks Les.

Both PIAA and Hella have been off my list for a while; sounds like I should re-evaluate and re-consider using them... at least PIAA. Thanks Les.[/QUOTE]

Any time . Here is one more link :

http://bestheadlightbulbs.com/

Thanks Les. The color temperature is interesting. Max spectral power density occurs at 4100K... but some research says that the human eye recognizes features best in 5000K light.

So, which is better... the color at which more light is produced or the one that the eye prefers?