High Performance Driving Lights - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: High Performance Driving Lights

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Yeah they're pricey; for what they cost the engineering sure better be as thorough as they claim... mechanically, electrically, optically, and thermally.

I took a quick look at the power budget on our bikes, and as you might expect the GL1800B seems to have more than enough to drive some crazy powerful lights and whatever other accessories you could dream up.

I plan to power my aux lighting using the fog light connectors and a quick look at the manual doesn't show a power rating, however, it shows the fogs being connected through a 20A fuse. As such, whatever wire gauge is being used is expected to handle a helluva lot of current and, hence, power.

Any of these high power lights, even multiples of them, should be as fine as sweet tea on a summer day. If you wanted to jump up to the Erica's from Clearwater, you could (6,000 lumens each).

How much does the radiator fan draw ?

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    Good lead . You made quite great homework .

It's just superficial... and loaded with unstated caveats mostly due to the fact that I don't have a full understanding. Most notably is that alternator output is lower at lower RPM (I wonder how much lower) and there are other power draws not on the list... like fans

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    How much does the radiator fan draw ?
    Good question... could be as much as 200W... ? This question seems particularly important since the fans should only come on at low RPM.

It's just superficial... and loaded with unstated caveats mostly due to the fact that I don't have a full understanding. Most notably is that alternator output is lower at lower RPM (I wonder how much lower) and there are other power draws not on the list... like fans

Good question... could be as much as 200W... ? This question seems particularly important since the fans should only come on at low RPM.
    If I am reading the manual correctly, the fans are fused @ 30A and the power amp is fused @ 40A. The amp seems to be fused rather high for 8 watts / channel.

As far as low RPM's is concerned, sitting at a stop light with lights, brake lights and accessories on @ idle was an issue with my former Vision. The stator would not kick in until faster than idle speeds. I would have to artificially keep the throttle on.

I have Clearwater Lights on my last five bikes ... Have been the best for more ... Great adjustment ...

I just pulled the trigger on the Baja Squadrons; should be here next week.

If I am reading the manual correctly, the fans are fused @ 30A and the power amp is fused @ 40A. The amp seems to be fused rather high for 8 watts / channel.

As far as low RPM's is concerned, sitting at a stop light with lights, brake lights and accessories on @ idle was an issue with my former Vision. The stator would not kick in until faster than idle speeds. I would have to artificially keep the throttle on.
    If we were closer to the limit, I think more digging would be worthwhile but for now I'm not too worried about it all. I've been planning for awhile to get a voltmeter to keep a general eye on my alternator; I guess this could also serve to keep an eye on power draw at low RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by WIRED2 View Post
    I have Clearwater Lights on my last five bikes ... Have been the best for more ... Great adjustment ...
    Which lights did you have (Glenda, Darla, Krista, etc)? Great adjustment... you mean with the dimmer switch?

Have you ever compared these side by side with another brand?

I just pulled the trigger on the Baja Squadrons; should be here next week.
    Keep us posted on your impressions.

and the power amp is fused @ 40A. The amp seems to be fused rather high for 8 watts / channel.
    I don't know where this 8 watts/channel rumor got started, but it ain't true! The amp puts out at least 40 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

This is a o'scope pic into a 4 ohm load. It's putting out 40 watts and is not even clipping yet.

100_3263.jpg
    Albuquerque, NM

Keep us posted on your impressions.
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I don't know where this 8 watts/channel rumor got started, but it ain't true! The amp puts out at least 40 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

This is a o'scope pic into a 4 ohm load. It's putting out 40 watts and is not even clipping yet.

Attachment 14077
    That looks like about 18 Vpk... 12.7 Vrms... Power=Vrms^2/R = 162/4 = 40W ?

Could the problem be how the specs are defined? Maybe 8W is the rated power at a certain distortion level.

Might need to take Rigid Industries off the suggestion list until they fix this:

Interesting... Rigid Industries vs. Baja Designs