High Performance Driving Lights - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: High Performance Driving Lights

Nice, Those look like they might fit into the traditional fog light location in the lower cowl. Don't know how much that would affect the down road distance the lights projected, but what do you think about that? I have the Honda line LEDs in my lower cowl. Wouldn't have bought them for the money they want for them. But they were part of the accessories I got with the promotional $1000 free accessories when I bought my bike.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Nice, Those look like they might fit into the traditional fog light location in the lower cowl.
    I was thinking the same thing......
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

My only concern is that they come without any means to change their output. They're either 100% on or off.
    As George stated he suggests a dimmer.
    By the time you're done and through with brackets and dimmers, IMHO you may as well just buy the Clearwater Krista 2's. They come with everything you need, and are dimmable to whatever setting you'd like.
    And I believe their GL1800 under mirror brackets will also fit the F6B without any modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Nice, Those look like they might fit into the traditional fog light location in the lower cowl. Don't know how much that would affect the down road distance the lights projected, but what do you think about that? I have the Honda line LEDs in my lower cowl. Wouldn't have bought them for the money they want for them. But they were part of the accessories I got with the promotional $1000 free accessories when I bought my bike.
    Yes and no Jimmy, I think they could be made to fit but I wouldn't do it. Little dips in the road cast shadows that, at times, can be indistinguishable from pools of standing water in the road. The lower you mount the lights, the less capable they are of throwing light at a good angle to highlight little things like this.

With them mounted under the headlight, all dips that I encountered were fully illuminated. The OEM foglight location may in fact be high enough to do the same... I haven't tried it... but my goal is to balance as much function as possible with keeping a somewhat clean form. I'm actually thinking about moving the lights higher to the mirror location but I'm gonna run them for a while as-is to see how they do; I'm not 100% satisfied having a bracket that's mounted to the plastic fairing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    My only concern is that they come without any means to change their output. They're either 100% on or off.
    As George stated he suggests a dimmer.
    By the time you're done and through with brackets and dimmers, IMHO you may as well just buy the Clearwater Krista 2's. They come with everything you need, and are dimmable to whatever setting you'd like.
    And I believe their GL1800 under mirror brackets will also fit the F6B without any modifications.
    True on all counts Terry.

I like the Clearwater dimmer because I *believe* it's fully adjustable from 0-100 %; and the knob can be used to easily change the amount of dimming anytime you want.

The Skene dimmer on the other hand produces an output in 10% increments from 0-100; and the setting needs to be programmed, therefore it's not as easily adjustable. However this seems fine to me; this would be a "set and forget" adjustment that you only need to do once.

The other differences are beam pattern and light output. I believe Clearwaters come fixed with 85% of the light in a 20 degree beam, and the remaining 15% of light in a 45 degree beam. This is *probably* perfect for auxiliary lighting intended for long range with a little bit of spill for the shoulders... but not quite as nice as the Baja's where the lenses can be swapped out. Frankly, the Baja Spot and Driving/Combo patterns are similar enough that a person probably wouldn't swap between these, but their WideAngle lens could be a nice feature for someone.

Lastly, the Baja's produce a little bit more lumens than Clearwater. The difference in lumens may mean nothing at all, however, *IF* the Clearwater optics more efficiently project that light. Forgive me if I missed it, but I don't recall seeing any published lux numbers from Clearwater... and that fact made me wonder. If you're in the business of lighting, and your lights are truly badass, wouldn't you publish the more meaningful spec of lux instead of just lumens?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    If you're in the business of lighting, and your lights are truly badass, wouldn't you publish the more meaningful spec of lux instead of just lumens?

Lux...lumens, it's all geek speak to me. I trust your and Hornblower's conclusions and recommendations.

If the LED auxiliary lights light up the road at night like the sun, in a reasonably narrow beam, are dimmable, and use less wattage than 55W each, then I'm in.
    I'm just waiting for a couple of questions to be answered by Clearwater and I'll likely go with Krista 2's under the mirrors.

I haven't seen anything bad about those lights. For all the talk about specs and numbers, they're pretty similar to mine and I'd bet there isn't really a noticeable difference outside of a laboratory. I hope you'll be posting pics and impressions. Riding around town with street lights, store lights, and other car lights washes out a lot of the light... but oh man, when you get on a pitch black road be ready for something that seems like alien technology

Thanks to Hbejar and his fog light thread I now know the OEM foglight connectors are Sumitomo HW 090 Series.

The female is wired into the bike and the male without terminals is used for the plug. I may revisit my installation and use the OEM connectors after all.