High Performance Driving Lights - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: High Performance Driving Lights

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    That looks like about 18 Vpk... 12.7 Vrms... Power=Vrms^2/R = 162/4 = 40W ?

Could the problem be how the specs are defined? Maybe 8W is the rated power at a certain distortion level.
    Sorry about the hijacking. But, since this subject is up again, I thought I'd do some searching.

I found this link advertising the 2009 GL1800. It states in there:
    80-watt-per-channel power amplifier provides clear, crisp sound at all highway speeds.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...t-GoldWing.htm

Maybe it's peak, maybe it's into 2ohms, don't know ....
    Albuquerque, NM

Baja Designs - Squadron Pro

Now how to mount them...
    Are you contemplating hanging them under the mirrors like the Krista's mount on the GL1800?
    Will Clearwater sell you just their GL1800 mirror mounting brackets (if they even fit the F6B?), which would give you a good starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Are you contemplating hanging them under the mirrors like the Krista's mount on the GL1800?
    Will Clearwater sell you just their GL1800 mirror mounting brackets (if they even fit the F6B?), which would give you a good starting point?
    FWIW, Firecreek also makes some of these mounts (for lights up to 6.5" in diameter) for the GL1800 and F6B.

Firecreek under mirror light mounts

Attachment 14127

Attachment 14128

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Sorry about the hijacking. But, since this subject is up again, I thought I'd do some searching.

I found this link advertising the 2009 GL1800. It states in there:
    80-watt-per-channel power amplifier provides clear, crisp sound at all highway speeds.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...t-GoldWing.htm

Maybe it's peak, maybe it's into 2ohms, don't know ....
    Not a hijack at all Valk; very relevant and I appreciate the input

If someone needed to do a more precise power budget, they'd want to know the real power draw of the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Under the mirror is probably the best location for throwing light far and wide down the road, but aesthetically, not so much.

I'm gonna mount them under the headlights in the opening in front of the forks and see how they do here first.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    FWIW, Firecreek also makes some of these mounts (for lights up to 6.5" in diameter) for the GL1800 and F6B.

Firecreek under mirror light mounts
    You're quite resourceful T, thanks for the link!

The thing I don't like about these, other than the aesthetics, is that you have to cut a slit in your mirror boots. These are kinda like the PIAA 74181, except you can mount two sets of lights one on top and one on bottom. I'm not sure if the 74181's require the boot to be cut; I think they slide under it. Unfortunately these are discontinued but if I went with a mirror mount I'd try to modify the Firecreek mounts to be more like this.

The new PIAA mounts are their 74008 which was made for their 1100 series lights. The Baja Squadron Pros are only slightly bigger then these lights so I *think* this setup should work fine; I'll know shortly.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer part number for the OEM foglight connector is some sort of closely guarded secret. I gave up on trying to find the mating connector that would allow me to plug my new Baja lights directly into the bike's wiring.

I found the Sumitomo MT Series which looks like it should work fine in a wet and dirty environment; these connectors are fully sealed.

I think I'll cut the connectors off the Baja lights and replace them with these. For the bike, I won't cut those but instead tap into them with Posi-Taps to install the Sumitomo mate on the bike.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer part number for the OEM foglight connector is some sort of closely guarded secret. I gave up on trying to find the mating connector that would allow me to plug my new Baja lights directly into the bike's wiring.

I found the Sumitomo MT Series which looks like it should work fine in a wet and dirty environment; these connectors are fully sealed.

I think I'll cut the connectors off the Baja lights and replace them with these. For the bike, I won't cut those but instead tap into them with Posi-Taps to install the Sumitomo mate on the bike.

Not sure if this is correct or not but wth. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...ed/sealed.html

I bought a headlight kit prior bike great quality!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by naga viper View Post
    Not sure if this is correct or not but wth. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...ed/sealed.html

I bought a headlight kit prior bike great quality!
    How was the shipping time from these guys? Looks like he works out of Japan.

I actually tried ordering from these guys first but something is messed up with their online order form. Add a $4 part to your cart and a $400 shipping cost automatically got added I almost clicked "accept"... glad I took my time and looked at all the info. I cancelled that and ended up going through Corsa Technic.

http://www.corsa-technic.com/categor...ategory_id=107

I actually tried ordering from these guys first but something is messed up with their online order form. Add a $4 part to your cart and a $400 shipping cost automatically got added I almost clicked "accept"... glad I took my time and looked at all the info. I cancelled that and ended up going through Corsa Technic.

http://www.corsa-technic.com/categor...ategory_id=107
    That's because he has a minimum order amount built in. IIRC it's $25.

I had met minimum $ amount for order
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That makes sense Terry, that he's trying to implement some special ordering features... but doesn't quite have it right.

Hope he figures it out soon; I can't be the only person to bypass his sight due to the funkyness. I mean I didn't take the time to seek out and read all the fineprint, but I didn't see a minimum order or any info about such high shipping fees; I was able to add 4 parts and get all the way to the "submit order" page with the $400 shipping fee inconspicuously added. My jaw woulda hit the ground after seeing the credit card bill.