New Tires and a Puzzling Discovery - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Tires and a Puzzling Discovery

What type/ style air pressure gauge are you guys using? I have 5 different gauges, and get a slightly different reading on each one. Some are cheap gauges, some not so. They will vary from1-3 lbs. Maybe some of you know the "best" gauge, and where to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    What type/ style air pressure gauge are you guys using? I have 5 different gauges, and get a slightly different reading on each one. Some are cheap gauges, some not so. They will vary from1-3 lbs. Maybe some of you know the "best" gauge, and where to get it.
    I don't remember the brand, but both gauges I use are digital.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    So it was time for a new pair of shoes my F6B. I was considering putting Avon Cobras on ,but this is my first tire change on the F6B and I really didn't have any complaints about the Stones that came on it. So I went to my dealer who is just a couple miles from my house. I asked the parts guy what he could get me a set for. I told him what I could get them for from Wingstuff. He beat the price and I got the set for $310. Had them put on last Friday and I rode it home in pouring down rain for those 2 miles. Hadn't had a chance to ride her. It rained all weekend. Well tonight I rode her. This is where the puzzling discovery comes in. No more famous 40 mph front end wobble. Not complaining about it , just trying to rationalize it. I mean , my bike had that wobble from new, just like about every other one.
    Jimmy..I have had that happen too me many times over the years on my Goldwings.Change the tires and the wobble goes away next set it comes back
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

7000 miles and never a wobble. Had the 6 almost a year now. I should probably check the air pressure. Haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    7000 miles and never a wobble. Had the 6 almost a year now. I should probably check the air pressure. Haven't yet.
    Try riding at 38 to 42 mph and removing both hands from the handlebar. It is very subtle and only occurs between those speeds. If you take your hands off the handlebars at those speeds and no wobble, then that is where I seem to be withthe new tires. Before the new tires, I'd get a wobble if I removed both hands anywhere between 38 and 42 mph and then it goes completely away above or below those speeds. I could feel it sometimes with a hand on the handlebars but mainly because I was consciously aware of it and looking for it.

38 and 42 check. Will make some low speed testing and report back post haste.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Try riding at 38 to 42 mph and removing both hands from the handlebar. It is very subtle and only occurs between those speeds. If you take your hands off the handlebars at those speeds and no wobble, then that is where I seem to be withthe new tires. Before the new tires, I'd get a wobble if I removed both hands anywhere between 38 and 42 mph and then it goes completely away above or below those speeds. I could feel it sometimes with a hand on the handlebars but mainly because I was consciously aware of it and looking for it.
    OH! That explains it. Don't know why I would ride with no hands. Doesn't sound like a good idea. I guess I will never experience the wobble "issue".

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    OH! That explains it. Don't know why I would ride with no hands. Doesn't sound like a good idea. I guess I will never experience the wobble "issue".
    Well, not that I'm suggesting that everyone go around riding with no hands on the handlebars. It's just to illustrate how subtle the wobble is. Literally , if you just have a finger on the grip, you could stop the wobble and it was only between those speeds I mentioned.
    Oh, I could sometimes feel it with my hands on the bars, but you would really have to be looking for it.

Quite a few chiming in that they have never had the wobble and I just wonder if they have it and have not noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    I use the Accutire MS-4400B. Idk how accurate it is but it seems reasonable. I particularly like the easy useability; it's always ready to go... no need to press any buttons, just insert it and get your reading. Go to the next tire and repeat. When done, again no need to press any button, just put it away.

I started wondering when the battery would die; with my luck itd be when I need it the most so I bought a mechanical analog gauge to carry on the bike; Slime from Autozone I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quite a few chiming in that they have never had the wobble and I just wonder if they have it and have not noticed it.
    I'm kinda wondering that about myself

[QUOTE=srt8-in-largo;78899]I use the Accutire MS-4400B. Idk how accurate it is but it seems reasonable. I particularly like the easy useability; it's always ready to go... no need to press any buttons, just insert it and get your reading. Go to the next tire and repeat. When done, again no need to press any button, just put it away.

Thanks for the info on the gauge. I'll hunt one down soon, and test it against my other 5.