New Tires and a Puzzling Discovery - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Tires and a Puzzling Discovery

Slow speed instability..

I've just replaced the original tires at 20,000 kms. For the last few thousand km's, I've noticed a significant loss of slow speed stability and front end "feel". The original 'stones had center tread left (approx 1 mm), yet the profile must have changed to the point that the bike just didn't feel right. It felt like it had over boosted power steering, and would tram - line like crazy at speed. Most noticably, it would wobble back and forth as I came to a gradual stop in urban traffic, making me feel like a total newb. The final straw was a ride around a regular route where I normally have all kinds of bits dragging, yet I couldn't come close to a reasonable pace. The bike just felt wrong.. So, on went the new Bridgestones, and I can't believe the difference. I can actually feel the front end again, and she feels like NOTHING will push her off line.. Just like I remember. Just thought I'd bring it up, because to look at my old tires, you really wouldn't have thought they were done. So I guess that 15,000kms (call it 10k miles), is about all they will do...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    I've just replaced the original tires at 20,000 kms. For the last few thousand km's, I've noticed a significant loss of slow speed stability and front end "feel". The original 'stones had center tread left (approx 1 mm), yet the profile must have changed to the point that the bike just didn't feel right. It felt like it had over boosted power steering, and would tram - line like crazy at speed. Most noticably, it would wobble back and forth as I came to a gradual stop in urban traffic, making me feel like a total newb. The final straw was a ride around a regular route where I normally have all kinds of bits dragging, yet I couldn't come close to a reasonable pace. The bike just felt wrong.. So, on went the new Bridgestones, and I can't believe the difference. I can actually feel the front end again, and she feels like NOTHING will push her off line.. Just like I remember. Just thought I'd bring it up, because to look at my old tires, you really wouldn't have thought they were done. So I guess that 15,000kms (call it 10k miles), is about all they will do...
    I didn't really seem to notice any what I'd call instability. I did immediately realized what a difference there was with the new tires. I usually experience that feeling with new tires on my Valkyrie. But I think you're right, it seemed a little more obvious this time with the F6B. My thoughts were that I didn't realize how much the handling had changed as it happens so gradually over the course of tire wear. This was my first tire change with the F6B. On my next one, I might go ahead and try the Avon Cobras out of curiosity.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Had a bad wobble on my 1500 due to tire cupping. New tires cured the wobble. Was suggested to install a fork brace to help the cupping.
    Installed one on my B with a couple hundred miles on the bike. So far no wobble but only have about 3k on her. Don't know how many miles it would take for the wobble to show up (if it does). Will be keeping a sharp eye on tire pressures from now on.