Clearview Windshield height question
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clearview Windshield height question

Clearview Windshield height question

I am anxiously waiting for a new large Clearview windshield light gray sport with recurve.

I am aware that they come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large, measuring 14'', 15'' and 16'', respectively, as measured from the center dash emblem to the top of shield.

I am a little nervous that the tall will be too tall for my height (5' 7.5'' with 29-30'' inseam) and be at eye level.

In short, does anyone know how it would compare to a stock Goldwing shield at its lowest level (16.5'') as measured from the rubber seal?

Or for those of you who have a Clearview do you know how long it is as measured the traditional way from the rubber seal?

The Goldwing at its lowest position is pretty good for me, perhaps an inch lower would be even better.

I would like to know how it compares to this known reference point.

Quote Originally Posted by buda315 View Post
    I am anxiously waiting for a new large Clearview windshield light gray sport with recurve.

I am aware that they come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large, measuring 14'', 15'' and 16'', respectively, as measured from the center dash emblem to the top of shield.

I am a little nervous that the tall will be too tall for my height (5' 7.5'' with 29-30'' inseam) and be at eye level.

In short, does anyone know how it would compare to a stock Goldwing shield at its lowest level (16.5'') as measured from the rubber seal?

Or for those of you who have a Clearview do you know how long it is as measured the traditional way from the rubber seal?

The Goldwing at its lowest position is pretty good for me, perhaps an inch lower would be even better.

I would like to know how it compares to this known reference point.
    I have the exact shield you are waiting for. I found it to be slightly shorter than the tall Honda one. For your height it should work perfectly. It does depend on which seat you have and how tall you sit in the saddle though. I'm currently using the stock seat with a back rest and I actually used a Rotozip to elongate the holes to get the shield a little taller. I'm 6'1" though and I sit pretty tall.

I have clear views tallest, I'm 5'7" but sit tall on a stock seat and can see the road 30ft in front of me over the screen.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    I have clear views tallest, I'm 5'7" but sit tall on a stock seat and can see the road 30ft in front of me over the screen.
    That's good to hear. I too sit on a stock seat.

So, if you had to redo, you would not get the medium to have the top edge less close to your field of vision?

They are making my shield tomorrow or Tuesday, so this is my last chance to chose size.

If it's shorter than Honda tall OEM, than I will probably be happy.

If anyone gets a chance to measure their tall from the rubber, I'd appreciate it to alleviate my concern..

And... I'm just curious how it compares to the Honda unit.

Thanks everybody for responding.

My clearview is my third windscreen. I wouldn't change a thing on it. I hear the radio at 14 doing 80. I have a vent for the heat in Florida and the curve at the top takes the wind over my helmet preventing wind turbelance. You should be good to go! Here is a pic of mine.

IMG_0352.JPG
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016

Hard to tell from picture. Is yours the wider touring one?

Thanks for the reassurance. Can't wait to get it. Suddenly I can't stand wind noise in my maturing age.

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    My clearview is my third windscreen. I wouldn't change a thing on it. I hear the radio at 14 doing 80. I have a vent for the heat in Florida and the curve at the top takes the wind over my helmet preventing wind turbelance. You should be good to go! Here is a pic of mine.

Attachment 14094

Yes the wider one
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016

Budda315, I have the Clearview medium sport w/recurve. I am 5' 11" and on the stock seat my eyeline was several inches over the top of the shield. The shield is mounted at the highest setting. I recently installed a Mustang seat which sits about an inch lower and I still look over the shield. Still get a slight bit of buffeting at 75-80 but wanted the shortest windshield possible. I love the looks of it!

DSCN2176.jpg

Great looking photo. I agree. IMHO, the best looking shield for the F6B. Really complements the bike and flows very naturally.

Is yours the dark tint or light gray? And do you have bar risers? They look a bit higher than stock.

Thanks for sharing your specs and experience with the shield.

Any chance you would mind measuring from the rubber seal to the top of the shield?

The traditional way to measure.

Curious what the actual height is compared to the OEM Honda tall at 16.75''.

Quote Originally Posted by Amipro View Post
    Budda315, I have the Clearview medium sport w/recurve. I am 5' 11" and on the stock seat my eyeline was several inches over the top of the shield. The shield is mounted at the highest setting. I recently installed a Mustang seat which sits about an inch lower and I still look over the shield. Still get a slight bit of buffeting at 75-80 but wanted the shortest windshield possible. I love the looks of it!

Attachment 14108

Shield arrived

Update:

Ordered shield on Sat. May 2nd. Received June 3rd. Was quoted 15-20 business days to manufacture.

Regarding some of the sizing questions I had. Other responders are correct. The tall clearview is a little shorter than a Honda tall or stock Goldwing screen. I measured 16'' from rubber to top in the lowest setting.

I am 5' 7 1/2'', with 29'' inseam. The screen hits me right at the tip of the nose in the low setting (stock seat). I'm almost thinking that I might have been better off with the medium. With the recurve I think I could still get the protection and have the screen a little further from my site line.

Haven't fully tested it though. Just a quick run around the block. Even at low speeds, the recurve definitely seemed to really throw the wind up and over. More than I would have even guessed.

I did remove the protection, b/c I figured if it is not where I want it, I could elongate the hole and drop it an inch.

Really nice looking screen. I don't think I would personally consider another brand just based on aesthetics.

Of course everyone has their own personal preference on height and wind protection, but my suggestion would be anyone 5' 10'' or taller should get the tall and any shorty's like me at 5'9'' or under would probably be fine with the medium.

I don't see a reason to get the small unless you are totally just going for looks and a short screen.

Other members who are 5'6''- 5'7'' reported getting too much turbulence with the small screen, but just right with the medium or large.