Clearview Windshield height question - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clearview Windshield height question

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    I have touring, large with Vent. Can't Touch this!
    Damn skippy I ain't touchin' THAT!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Damn skippy I ain't touchin' THAT!
    Good Thing Guido!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

I planned to go that route. Probably go with the light tint in case I get stuck in rain and want to hide behind it..... A medium with a recurve or large without? Seems a large with a recurve is overkill?
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Wisc. Rider

I just installed the medium, light smoke sport model today and couldn't be happier. I'm 5' 10" with 32" inseam and I'm able to look over but yet very comfortable. Glad I didn't go with the large myself. Great shield!

just installed the small sport touring shield.

So I read up quiet a bit about the various shields and went with the Clearview Sport touring small dark grey . Im 5'10" 32 inseam, ride with a half helmet and I have a Mustang DLX tripper on a 2013 F6B (in neverclean black) that i put the shield on. at its lowest it sits 13.5 inch from the emblem on the "dash" with about an 1.24 inch adjustment upwards. At its lowest I look just over the shield at approx 35ish ft in front of the bike and I hear the radio fine @ 15/16 going 80mph. Buffeting is pretty much gone but there is the vacuum pocket effect and almost zero air movement. Using the stock seat I look over the shield @ 15ft in front of the bike. Still Zero buffet but there is slightly less of a vacuum and a little air get to my face. Much better. The shield needs to be about 1 - 1 1/2 in shorter IMO which mean elongating the slots. Maybe over the weekend or i'll try a trick to bracket the screen lower to test out before making bigger holes.

Wink

What I don't want is to have to feel like I have to sit super duper upright just to comfortably see over the windshield. They do tell you the proper technique with the object 50 ft in front of the bike etc. Maybe I'll do that first. Instructions, directions, explanations, they're all so un-manly.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Quote Originally Posted by Skhunt View Post
    So I read up quiet a bit about the various shields and went with the Clearview Sport touring small dark grey . Im 5'10" 32 inseam, ride with a half helmet and I have a Mustang DLX tripper on a 2013 F6B (in neverclean black) that i put the shield on. at its lowest it sits 13.5 inch from the emblem on the "dash" with about an 1.24 inch adjustment upwards. At its lowest I look just over the shield at approx 35ish ft in front of the bike and I hear the radio fine @ 15/16 going 80mph. Buffeting is pretty much gone but there is the vacuum pocket effect and almost zero air movement. Using the stock seat I look over the shield @ 15ft in front of the bike. Still Zero buffet but there is slightly less of a vacuum and a little air get to my face. Much better. The shield needs to be about 1 - 1 1/2 in shorter IMO which mean elongating the slots. Maybe over the weekend or i'll try a trick to bracket the screen lower to test out before making bigger holes.
    That's GREAT INFO!!!

The site says it's 14" at the lowest point. You measured 13.5". So what is your actual high measurement? I want it just low enough to get air in the vent on the top of my helmet. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam. Stock seat. I'm torn between small and med.

Sounds like you didn't get the vent.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    That's GREAT INFO!!!

The site says it's 14" at the lowest point. You measured 13.5". So what is your actual high measurement? I want it just low enough to get air in the vent on the top of my helmet. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam. Stock seat. I'm torn between small and med.

Bobby the vent has 5 positions and can be angled to the top of your helmet? But if the height of the shield was perfect then the top of the helmet is where the wind from the shield wound hit. Then the vent could be used to hit the chest area. I wouldn't go with the small Bobby if I have a 29" inseam am 5"7" and use a tall!

2940A06D-5E22-474F-9B2D-30A6F37B6F32.jpg
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Well the best part is I can test ride the shield with the plastic on and return or exchange it for a different size. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    That's GREAT INFO!!!

The Vent isnt an option/available on the small/short screen. If you wear a full faced helmet you will most likely get air in the top vent and see over the shield on a stock seat and the small would be perfect for that without modification. you would even be able to raise it by and inch.

So last night i did a quick test using some scrap metal to make 3 brackets to drop the screen down some. everything worked and the screen was about an inch (just over 3/4s)lower and touching this metal bracket by the air/dust deflector under the top fairing or whatever its called. after a brief ride at high speeds it puts my view over the shield at 15/17ft. This allows the same air as un-modified shield on stock seat. So I then elongated the holes about 3/4ish and mounted the screen. The side of the screen needed a little trimming around one of the flares for the wider section* to fit under the top fairing. At this point its sitting about 12.5ish inches at its lowest and the wind/vacuum is perfect with the tripper seat and half helm. if i remember correctly from the rubber mold it is not something like 11.75 inche and if you measure from the emblem on the dash its about 12.5 ish.

*i ordered the sport tourer version with re-curve. since its wider than stock it flares out where the rubber seal is. when i lowered it, the flares needed to be ground down in order for the top fairing to fit.