Your summer riding jackets
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your summer riding jackets

Your summer riding jackets

Franklin will be my longest trip ever and I will need at some moment in my 2400 plus mile trip a waterproof riding jacket. Tell me what you have, have had and hated, have had and wish you could find it. Seems I can get very lost in the online motorcycle websites like Revzilla with the diversity of jackets. I want something waterproof but light for summer riding. I ride year long in Houston and have an extremely adequate lined leather jacket for the below 50 days. I need something for warm/hot weather travels.

53 has clued me into BMG which at first I thought it was higher than giraffe azz. Then a visit to the online retailers and BMG suddenly appears to be middle of the road.

So tell me what you got.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Go down to your local Cycle Gear and try some stuff on. I am wearing a white/black Bilt mesh jacket from cycle gear. Also bought the Bilt rainsuit last summer. When it gets really hot, I wear a long sleeve, plain white, fishing tee shirt. Bought these at Academy, they still sell them, and they wick moisture. You can pack several of these, rainsuit, and mesh jacket in a small area. When it's cool I love my aerostich stuff for warm and dry.

I had plans on that. Want some experiences on what vents well, what does not. Guess I could always buy, try, deny and rebuy. Like the fishing jacket idea as well. Maybe a trip to Gander.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    I had plans on that. Want some experiences on what vents well, what does not. Guess I could always buy, try, deny and rebuy. Like the fishing jacket idea as well. Maybe a trip to Gander.
    I don't even want to admit how much stuff I've tried. Truth is everything is a compromise. Find what works, is comfortable, and be done with it. (Easier said then done).

On a trip that long, I hope you have a bit of storage room.
    Always have a leather.
    I have a Fieldsheer Hi-Temp Mesh Jacket, it includes two fully removable liners: one waterproof liner and one quilted liner for warmth.
    The highly breathable mesh material offers a high degree of abrasion performance, while allowing the me to stay cool in warm temperatures.
    With the quilted liner removed, you get a great breeze through the jacket on warmer days, and has back and elbow protection. In Hi-Viz people also see you and respect your lane.

You'll get a great debate on the "best" rain gear.
    I went with the Dri-Rider Hurricane Rain Suit, mainly because I had one for over 20 years and it never leaked, probably still be wearing it if I could l get back to the same weight I was 20 years ago.

I have a Tourmaster mesh jacket that has a liner that I can put on underneath. I have never had it on in a rain so not sure how well it works. I do like the elbow and shoulder pads though.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

shooter
    Stro I have been using a Joe Rocket mesh for four years. The plastic liner that comes with it is useless. It will sweat you so bad that you may as well be in the rain. JR makes a dri-plus liner that is breathable and is the best combo I have used. Not cheap but well made. Mine us a little faded after four summers but still works great. I keep the liner in the saddlebag until needed. Revzilla has both.

Danke gang.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

I switch between a Tour-Master and a Sedici. Both have the removable liners, and are mesh. The Sedici is very water-resistant, without the liner, and totally with it in place. It is slightly warmer than my Tour-master, as the Tour-Master has several zip-vents. Got the Sedici at Cycle- Gear, the other on-line, from Cruiser Customizing.

I had a basic jacket called Power Trip that cost about $150 three years ago. Used it year round, had a removable liner, all the vents you need, and it did it's job in my accident. It had two zippers...if you undid the outer, the inner would keep it closed but had an open mesh that breathed nicely in the heat. Of course, when you stop, it's going to get hot no matter what. You don't have to buy brand name to get a good one.

My next one will have white or yellow reflective stripes, don't care what it looks like.