No helmet but jacket withs pads
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No helmet but jacket withs pads

No helmet but jacket withs pads

I am not trying to start anything but lately I have seen a lot of rider with no helmets but they are wearing a leather or padded motorcycle jacket. Just seems odd. I am wondering if they thinking they can protect their heads in a crash.

Last September I had a crash at about 35 mph. It involved a pothole and curve. What I learned from it is I sure am glad I had a helmet on plus my jacket that I don't always wear. My helmet took most of the hits.

So you helmetless riders, what are your thoughts?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

I see about 70/30 here in Houston area. 70 without, 30 with. Incredulous but it's their eggs to scramble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

It is about 60/40 here in Michigan around where I ride/live. Used to be mandatory to wear a helmet but laws changed a while back..(For the worse in my opinion)...I have family members, in others states besides Michigan, who are emergency room nurses who maintain a certain level of job security trying to patch up riders that are in accidents riding without a helmet.....Most of the HD riders I see go without a helmet...Guess they think it is part of the HD culture...As they get older they wonder why they cannot hear anymore???...Duh!!

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    It is about 60/40 here in Michigan around where I ride/live. Used to be mandatory to wear a helmet but laws changed a while back..(For the worse in my opinion)...I have family members, in others states besides Michigan, who are emergency room nurses who maintain a certain level of job security trying to patch up riders that are in accidents riding without a helmet.....Most of the HD riders I see go without a helmet...Guess they think it is part of the HD culture...As they get older they wonder why they cannot hear anymore???...Duh!!
    About the same here in Wisconsin. The great majority of H-D riders go without. Like most of us, I have friends that ride H-D and go without. Definitely part of the culture. But, it is their choice. What cracks me up is when I see a biker smoking while riding. Hot ash up the nose , or in the eye wouldn't be fun.

I'm a “snowbird” living in Massachusetts (a Big Brother state) in the summer and Florida (a Free State) during the winter. I much prefer to ride free. I know that each time I throw a leg over my motorcycle I'm taking a risk with or without a helmet. I know the risks associated with motorcycles and I'm willing to accept them.
    It's nobody’s business but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ratsass View Post
    I'm a “snowbird” living in Massachusetts (a Big Brother state) in the summer and Florida (a Free State) during the winter. I much prefer to ride free. I know that each time I throw a leg over my motorcycle I'm taking a risk with or without a helmet. I know the risks associated with motorcycles and I'm willing to accept them.

Plus One !!!!!!!!! Mine your own business......LOL
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

For me...I have taken to wearing a helmet 98% of the time...On a long haul my Schubert , med ride my 3/4 helmet...short trip my half helmet...all of this is what I chose to do... bear in mind here in FLA temps can reach 115 with the heat index...is it better to sweat than bleed ? Absolutely ...did anyone ever wake up and chose to die today...maybe not so much..... I don't think you should have to wear seat belts either
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Here's a question that maybe someone here can answer. How many guys have gone down without one, lived to tell about it, sustained a head injury and still won't wear it?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I got hit April last year broadside at about 35mph, had full gear and went down in a heap, helmet hitting the road. I never rode without, but respect what each individual decides on their own. Just curious if they'd do it again.

It's About

For many "Ego" and "Image" outweigh "Common Sense"! It's as simple as that

Quote Originally Posted by ratsass View Post
    I agree - as long as it remains your own business.
    When you make it my business by imparting the costs to me....that's an issue.
    Brain salad surgery ain't cheap.
    Many uninsured/underinsured motorists/motorcyclists leave medical bills behind that "law-abiding" Americans must cover indirectly.
    Not cool.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce