I think I want a F6B, convince me. - Page 10
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: I think I want a F6B, convince me.

Interesting posts on those links. Doesn't sound like a well thought out or a well made system.

Keyfobs use EXACTLY the same wireless transmission technology as TPMS in your tires. The batteries in those things can EASILY be made to last 5 to 10 years; I didn't read too deeply but if these guys are having dead batteries after only a year or two... that's just not cool.

And it is typically not an issue if you set a PIN and remember it correctly if the FOB dies.

But if you don't...

So you will blame the bike for a stupid rider? Like I said, BS, my PIN is set...

And quoting a 6 year old post, too funny...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Interesting posts on those links. Doesn't sound like a well thought out or a well made system.

Keyfobs use EXACTLY the same wireless transmission technology as TPMS in your tires. The batteries in those things can EASILY be made to last 5 to 10 years; I didn't read too deeply but if these guys are having dead batteries after only a year or two... that's just not cool.
    Those batteries are made to last BUT so I've been told that if those fobs hang around your cell phone they can pre mature die. My Camry has push button start with a wireless fob and so does my wife's altima. I have had to change the batteries a few times

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Does the flat 6 generate a lot of heat. On hot days with the Harley you not only get the heat from the day but the engine heat rises up making it twice as bad.
    I wore shorts yesterday but the pavement wasn't hot. The most heat comes up from blacktop or cement. Would take a miracle design change to get me back on a Harley.

Shorts on a motorcycle?
    2013 F6b Deluxe Black
    2000 Confederate Confederado
    1951 Harley Davidson Hydraglide

Quote Originally Posted by tozco View Post
    Shorts on a motorcycle?

I was wondering about that same exact thing.
    I don't even do that when I am riding in our small town.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    I was wondering about that same exact thing.
    I don't even do that when I am riding in our small town.

Doug
    I was up at 3 Rivers for a few day trip when I saw a guy roll up on a wing wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip flops. Might as well been riding barefoot. For some reason, ground beef came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzzPhotos View Post
    I wore shorts yesterday but the pavement wasn't hot. The most heat comes up from blacktop or cement. Would take a miracle design change to get me back on a Harley.
    Your just asking for a good case of pavement rash my friend riding a large motorcycle with shorts on....A few years back I got stung by a bee right in my crotch riding with shorts, and as I am allergic to bee-stings, I almost did not make it home...If you want to hear some other negative reasons, ask those that work in Emergency rooms in hospitals...My son-in-law, who also rides, is a Supervisor in an Emergency room in Oklahoma and he will be more than willing to share his horror stories with you....Please be careful and ride safe.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D View Post
    Those batteries are made to last BUT so I've been told that if those fobs hang around your cell phone they can pre mature die. My Camry has push button start with a wireless fob and so does my wife's altima. I have had to change the batteries a few times
    Idk about that Brian; you'd have to explain that one to me.

The batteries are what they are from the battery vendor. The problem as I see it with key fobs or TPMS sensors that don't last long is either they cheaped out and are using low mAhr batteries, or they designed the form factor too small to use the *slightly* larger high mAhr batteries. The 25 mm coin cells can now be had in 1,000 mAhr versions; look up the part number on your battery and find the spec for it. If Toyota or Nissan are using lesser batteries, they didn't do you any favors.

Battery rating is only half of the equation; power draw of the circuit is the other half. These circuits spend most of their time in sleep mode in which case the current draw should be well down into the single digit microAmp range for an IC using modern technology. A 1,000 mAhr battery could drive this usage continually for literally 20 or 30 years. The big power draw occurs during signal transmission where current draw can jump to 50 to 200 milliAmp, again depending on the technology of the IC's.

So, for the battery in a fob to get drained prematurely, it must be transmitting quite frequently. The transmissions can ONLY occur in one of three ways: 1) the software is programmed to transmit at a fixed interval; as in the case of TPMS sensors, 2) a standard 125 kHz low frequency comm device has been incorporated and it received a transmission instruction from a diagnostic tool; as in the case of what shops use to test TPMS, or 3) a button is pressed; as in the case of most key fobs.

There's nothing a cell phone can do to cause a key fob to transmit, other than pressing against a button in your pocket. Cell phones transmit in the GHz range and there's no POSSIBLE way to interfere with the 125 kHz circuit... and even if it did, there are safeguards in the software to minimize interference; certain signal patterns have to be recognized before a device will accept an instruction as valid, otherwise the signal and instruction are ignored.