Picked up my new bike yesterday...how not to pull a trailer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my new bike yesterday...how not to pull a trailer.

Picked up my new bike yesterday...how not to pull a trailer.

Went to the dealership and picked up my 2015 Matte Silver F6B with the Blade trailer hooked up and ready to go. First impressions were, I love the paint color and man that trailer tongue is long. Took it for a quick spin and was impressed with the exhaust, I rode a 2014 last week and mine is noticeably throatier. Going to have to get some Heli-bars, I,m 6'2", seat was very comfortable for a stock seat. The dealership installed a tall Honda windshield, has a rainbow quality to it riding into the sun, I like the vent on it. They also installed the receiver hitch for the trailer. Went back to the dealership and finished the paperwork and headed for home, almost 90 miles to my driveway. The bike pulls the trailer without any hesitation or complaint hardly knew it was back there. Until I crossed the railroad tracks 10 miles from the house, the ball popped out of the hitch and the trailer rammed my l left tailpipe. I hammered the throttle because one chain had pulled out and the tongue was heading to the left. When I did, the tongue shot the other direction and bent the hook on the chain and my new trailer disappeared behind a building. I circled the block and found that the nut had not been properly torqued and fell off. The ball was still in the trailer coupler. There is damage to the trailer, luckily no other property or anyone damaged. Contacted the dealership and they will repair the trailer, it is only cosmetic. Very eventful first ride and I am so excited to have more adventures on my F6B!

Red face Use grease..........

I only have a bit over 10,000 miles with a trailer, but here's a thought for you on the trailer ball - after you get it re-installed use a small amount of grease spread over the ball. Reese makes a grease specifically for this, I think Amazon carries it. Wipe it off after each use, otherwise the dirt from the road will accumulate and start to act like a grinding paste. Happy trailering.

Glad you didn't go down, or have much damage. Welcome to the F6 Group! Quite sure you will be a totally satisfied owner.

They will repair the trailer,that's good,but what about the exhaust that got hit.
    That should be taken care of also at no charge.
    Or did it no sustain any damage.

Doug

There is a small speck of paint that came off the end of the baffle, you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. I'm thinking Cobra exhaust anyway so I'm not worried about it. The bike handled the trailer tugging around on it really well. I'm going to replace the hooks on the safety chains with something more substantial, they both were pulled straight. I don't know if they crossed the chains at the dealership when they hooked it up, they should have. They should have also tightened up the nut, I'm sure the tech will always check it in the future. Got to find a body shop and I'm thinking about painting the lid matte silver and leaving the rest black, or changing the bottom of the trailer to matte black.

John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Congrats, and that sucks. Glad you're ok and not too much damage. Also glad they're taking care of it.

Congrats on the new bike. it could have been worse so glad to hear it was not a lot of damage to the bike or other property

Congrats on new bike luckily no injury's.
    This here is the reason I would and never will let anyone work on any of my vehicles.
    And at the STEALERSHIP no less I would have a call into mother Honda!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'll try the grease, and get pictures posted in the morning when I get to my work computer. Took a quick spin just a while ago and I think it got louder since yesterday. Is that possible? Loving the sound, the tunes and the bike. Thanks for all the comments.