Picked up my new bike yesterday...how not to pull a trailer. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my new bike yesterday...how not to pull a trailer.

Glad to hear you are OK. That could have ended differently than it did.

Attachment 14305At the dealership

Attachment 14306Attachment 14307The wall and the result.

Is the pic of the trailer and bike have the trailer on the hitch? Front end of trailer looks low?
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

The trailer is on the bike, it may just be the angle I took the picture.

Did you have to add and buy the vent for that windshield? If so, how much did that run if you don't mind me asking? I already know I'm getting a larger windshield and was recommended a vented one.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

The windshield is a Hondaline accessory, I really like the vent. Not sure of the price but I think the catalog said around $150. They knocked some off because I bought the bike and a trailer.
    I was noticing that when I put on my brakes the left blinker would light up. I was looking at the receiver hitch and the wires were run between the hitch and the tire and the tire was rubbing on the wires. Rerouted the wires and put a splice on the two that were exposed and everything works fine now. One screw up I can kinda overlook but two becomes a pattern. I'm going to have to talk to the owner at the dealership, about the tech that installed the hitch.

Just wondering if the vent came with the shield. The catalog makes it sound like it doesn't. You should talk to the service manager first if you haven't already. That's pretty shoddy workmanship, not to mention it could have been much worse.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

As a virgin trailer tower I was leery about the safety of towing a trailer. The Bushtec trailer I bought recently tows like it’s not even there but I understand if something goes mechanically wrong it could be catastrophic. Once you add a trailer to a bike you have a lot more moving parts to be concerned with. You can’t check all your connections and hook ups TOO many times before a trip and during.

This event is someone’s worst nightmare when towing a trailer. And to think it’s neglect from a professional dealership! I’d be going back to that place raising hell and demanding sh!t and getting everything fixed like new. (You might even mention the sue word). It’s a pretty serious mistake on their part and they need to learn from it. I think it’s very lucky the bike and the trailer were not both totaled, not to mention your safety.

You might also be looking at that hitch installation real close too. This is why I try to do most of my own work. That way I ”know it” and I understand it.

Just my two cents.
    Save a biker........Open your f-ing eyes!! (and get off your phone)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am pretty sure the vent comes with the shield, but they installed it so I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the advice, I was inspecting the hitch installation when I discovered the wiring issue. Everything was good and snug, I don't know if the guy just wanted to get home or was hung over but I am going to be having a talk at the dealership.