Just bought Helibar - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Just bought Helibar

Even with just the MBL risers, the handlebars are moved back enough such that the protective grommets on the hydraulic and electrical lines are no longer located where they need to be. 98, I hope you're taking care and won't have a line chafed through.

This picture shows my handlebars with the MBL's installed and grommets that have been repositioned. My biggest concern was the brake line on the right side. The protective grommet is originally at the location of the red arrow; it's hard to see but that arrow points to a crimped hose-end. The grommet is stuck on here pretty good, but prying with a screwdriver can free it up and allow you to move it so that it remains located at the metal clamp... thus maintaining protection on your brake line.

The grommet on the clutch line at the yellow arrow cannot be moved because the inner diameter is too small. However, the clutch line has some sort of thin rubber sleeve that is not present on the brake line. Hopefully this provides enough protection.

The electrical lines at the green arrows have grommets that are taped on. These are easily moved; just unwrap the tape and then reapply it.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Even with just the MBL risers, the handlebars are moved back enough such that the protective grommets on the hydraulic and electrical lines are no longer located where they need to be. 98, I hope you're taking care and won't have a line chafed through.

This picture shows my handlebars with the MBL's installed and grommets that have been repositioned. My biggest concern was the brake line on the right side. The protective grommet is originally at the location of the red arrow; it's hard to see but that arrow points to a crimped hose-end. The grommet is stuck on here pretty good, but prying with a screwdriver can free it up and allow you to move it so that it remains located at the metal clamp... thus maintaining protection on your brake line.

The grommet on the clutch line at the yellow arrow cannot be moved because the inner diameter is too small. However, the clutch line has some sort of thin rubber sleeve that is not present on the brake line. Hopefully this provides enough protection.

The electrical lines at the green arrows have grommets that are taped on. These are easily moved; just unwrap the tape and then reapply it.
    Very good points! I did not know that the grommets would move. So, I added hose line over the hydraulics and the wiring for protection (where the clamps are). I even added the hose line over the hydraulic lines where they run along the MBL risers, because I thought they seemed kinda sharp.

Thanks for the advice.

Attachment 14517

Attachment 14518
    Albuquerque, NM

98, I know you didn't need to be told all that, but just wanted to throw it out there. I wanted to use hoses like you, but didn't have any on hand which prompted me to look closer at the grommets.

All in all, I bet the lines might be fine without grommets or hoses, but since Honda saw fit to use them I agree it makes sense to follow suit.

Diggin the analog clock btw!

Helibars

98Valk, your set up is exactly what I think I might need. I have the same risers as you and I have the Ultimate King Deluxe seat. In the beginning, I thought for sure that I finally found the perfect combo for my comfort zone with just the risers, but after riding about 3k miles, I'm feeling myself still reaching out to my handlebars a bit causing me to have those pain on my shoulder blades. I've seen the video of the Helibars on Utube by the creater of the bars and It did look to me that the bars still would not pull back far enough for my comfort. Now, after reading this thread and seeing your post, I'm 100% sure that what I need is exactly what you have and what you have done. Now that I know it will work with the risers you have and the Helibars mounted on top of it with plenty of movement up and back to spare, I'm sure I'll find my sweet spot. Thank you for your post and explanation of what you did. You have definitely helped me with the problem I'm having. Going to order my Helibars now.
    Thank you all for your input as well and for starting this thread. So, so helpful. 👍🏽😎

Great! I'm glad it was helpful.

I think that I have mine dialed in - at least for a while. I am real happy with the wrist angle. Once you are happy with the wrist angle, you can adjust higher or closer to your preference (there is a trade off there between height vs closeness).

Some have asked how far back the Helibars go. The way my are adjusted (and your miles will vary), the center of my grip handles (half way point on the grip) are about 11" back from the center of the ignition key. If that 11' is horizontal (using a level), the center of the grip handles is about 2" up from there.

So, 11" back and 2" up from the ignition key. And that is about as far back as they go. You can get a little more, but will sacrifice significant height at this angle. KEEP IN MIND, I HAVE MBL RISERS INSTALLED.
    Albuquerque, NM

Helibars / MBL risers

98, great info again. Thank you! 👍🏽😎
    Can't wait to get my Heli bars and start the adjustment prosses to find my sweet spot. Soo looking forward to being able to lean back and be comfortable. 😎👍🏽

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Great! I'm glad it was helpful.

I think that I have mine dialed in - at least for a while. I am real happy with the wrist angle. Once you are happy with the wrist angle, you can adjust higher or closer to your preference (there is a trade off there between height vs closeness).

Some have asked how far back the Helibars go. The way my are adjusted (and your miles will vary), the center of my grip handles (half way point on the grip) are about 11" back from the center of the ignition key. If that 11' is horizontal (using a level), the center of the grip handles is about 2" up from there.

So, 11" back and 2" up from the ignition key. And that is about as far back as they go. You can get a little more, but will sacrifice significant height at this angle. KEEP IN MIND, I HAVE MBL RISERS INSTALLED.
    Can you post a pic somewhere please? I have the Helibars on and am thinking about adding risers and a visual would be helpful. Thanks!

Jason