consensus on throttle lock? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: consensus on throttle lock?

Rick,
    I can come off as an ahole in written word sometimes.
    I find humor where others don't.
    I am the one that needs to apologize and I do.
    No harm intended.
    Be well and ride safe.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Rick,
    I can come off as an ahole in written word sometimes.
    I find humor where others don't.
    I am the one that needs to apologize and I do.
    No harm intended.
    Be well and ride safe.

Doug
    Doug
    [insert your quote above here]

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TnHeath View Post
    Mine has heated grips...no problem with interference.
    On the tested chart on the website it specifically says :
    F6B Goldwing
    Standard Only (No Heated Grips)
    NA
    6CP03

I wonder if it means they only tested it on the standard or that it only works on the standard...They also say (on their site):

Safety Warning! Heated grips with wire protruding from the grip flange are not compatible with any of the following Models listed below this line. The protruding wire has the potential of becoming entangled in the cruise control components when you turn the throttle which could cause the throttle to hang up and stick open.

Apparently your experience says otherwise...or at least our grip wire doesn't protrude from the grip flange?

I'll throw in my 2 cents, had a Go Cruise aluminum and used for most of last year but on a recent long journey found I had to fiddle with it too much. Took it off and replaced with the BrakeAway and won't go back. Others here don't mind the Go Cruise but did not pan out for me. BrakeAway is much safer IMO.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    I'll throw in my 2 cents, had a Go Cruise aluminum and used for most of last year but on a recent long journey found I had to fiddle with it too much. Took it off and replaced with the BrakeAway and won't go back. Others here don't mind the Go Cruise but did not pan out for me. BrakeAway is much safer IMO.
    , especially about the BrakeAway being safer. IMO, just having the disengagement happen as soon as you grab the front brake makes it so. I still have the Go Cruise aluminum but hope to upgrade to the BrakeAway before much longer. I just wish that was offered in black! Also, I've had concerns about using the BrakeAway with my heated grip but I see now several have done that with no apparent problems.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Another thumbs up for the Breakaway.Just a few pics of mine on a 13 non heated grip for those who wonder what one looks like installed..Works as advertised and the ability to instantly disengage with the touch of the brake is worth the cost to me.005.jpg003.jpg001.jpg

The Brakaway looks and sounds like the ticket- except that the site is really specific about not using it on heated grips where the wire comes out from where ours does. In fact- if you try to order online it specifically says standard only, non-heated grips. Tnheath, not doubting that it works for you...but also not doubting they have a reason for not wanting their product used on heated grips...?? any issues installing or using??

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    The Brakaway looks and sounds like the ticket- except that the site is really specific about not using it on heated grips where the wire comes out from where ours does. In fact- if you try to order online it specifically says standard only, non-heated grips. Tnheath, not doubting that it works for you...but also not doubting they have a reason for not wanting their product used on heated grips...?? any issues installing or using??
    I read the disclaimer on their site before I ordered mine. Having had several on past bikes I really wanted one. I thought I'd try it anyway and deal with any safety issues someway. I have watched it closely, the wire from the grips is very close to the frame of the breakaway but not touching. If it wasn't installed carefully I can see how it could keep the throttle from fully closing. In 5k mine hasn't caught...if it does I will cut or trim something. I think Breakway is being super cautious from a legal standpoint cause they have no control over the installation. I will take a close-up of it tomorrow and post so you can see the critical area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2013 F6B Motor Trike Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by TnHeath View Post
    I read the disclaimer on their site before I ordered mine. Having had several on past bikes I really wanted one. I thought I'd try it anyway and deal with any safety issues someway. I have watched it closely, the wire from the grips is very close to the frame of the breakaway but not touching. If it wasn't installed carefully I can see how it could keep the throttle from fully closing. In 5k mine hasn't caught...if it does I will cut or trim something. I think Breakway is being super cautious from a legal standpoint cause they have no control over the installation. I will take a close-up of it tomorrow and post so you can see the critical area.
    Thx for the post...I think you sealed the deal! Not sure if any sponsoring vendors carry this. {EDIT}wingstuff has it, And, yeah- seeing a pic would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Thx for the post...I think you sealed the deal! Not sure if any sponsoring vendors carry this. {EDIT}wingstuff has it, And, yeah- seeing a pic would really help.
    Rick, this is the throttle fully open...you can see how close the grip wire is to the BrakeAway.

Attachment 14386
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2013 F6B Motor Trike Raptor