The Mustang Seat, yep again
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mustang Seat, yep again

The Mustang Seat, yep again

I dropped a line to Mustang the other day in reference to the fitting of the seat, and got a very helpful reply back from Gwen White, the details are below, may be of some help to others on the forum.

As an aside, I've read most of the forum posts regarding the fitting of the Mustang seat and I'm intending to try all the suggestions at one time, such as, reaming out the bolt holes, using anti-seize, the original bolts with a small taper and Gwen's suggestion of tightening each bolt a little at a time. The seat hasn't arrived yet so I'm still in the planning stage so wish me luck. Damn the seat does look good though.

Hi Gwen, many thanks for your update.
    While i am impressed with the style of this saddle, I am very concerned after reading reports on the F6B forum regarding the difficulty that the majority of members have had in fitting the seat to their Honda F6B. Has the fitting problem been addressed and rectified or am i looking forward to a frustrating time trying to make the seat fit? The fact that i am in Australia will make it difficult to return the item if i discover that i cannot fit it.
    Your suggestions regarding this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards and best
    Chris

Hi Chris,

The F6B seat is a very tight fit and can be difficult to install. Many customers call because they have trouble opening or closing their lids.

This can be rectified by loosening all 4 allen bolts and centering the seat on the bike. Slowly tighten each of the 4 bolts a small amount each time; checking to make sure that both lids are able to open. If lids on one side are not able to open, adjust the seat slightly. This technique will keep the seat in proper alignment and assure that you will be able to gain access to both bags.

We also show mounting instructions for our seats on our website. Go to www.mustantseats.com and enter the part number in the upper right hand corner “Search Box”. You will see a page that gives the seat description and a picture of the seat. Under the picture is a link that says “More Info”. If you click on that link, it will bring up another page (similar to the first) that will also have a link under the picture that says “Mounting Instructions”.

As I mentioned before, the seat can be difficult to install. When we first made this seat last year, we did decide to recall the seats. The seats were fitting the bikes, but the customers were having so much trouble getting into their saddlebags that they had to take their seats off. The recall affected our first 6 customers, so we were able to easily get the seats back for rework.

The seats are as difficult to build as they are to install and we only have 2 employees that make these seats. With all being said, I have never witnessed a situation where these seats have had to come back for repair or exchange because of not fitting on the bike or being able to access the bags. (After the initial 6, that is.) I checked with our Technician and he said that his experience with this seat is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post
    I dropped a line to Mustang the other day in reference to the fitting of the seat, and got a very helpful reply back from Gwen White, the details are below, may be of some help to others on the forum.

As an aside, I've read most of the forum posts regarding the fitting of the Mustang seat and I'm intending to try all the suggestions at one time, such as, reaming out the bolt holes, using anti-seize, the original bolts with a small taper and Gwen's suggestion of tightening each bolt a little at a time. The seat hasn't arrived yet so I'm still in the planning stage so wish me luck. Damn the seat does look good though.

Hi Gwen, many thanks for your update.
    While i am impressed with the style of this saddle, I am very concerned after reading reports on the F6B forum regarding the difficulty that the majority of members have had in fitting the seat to their Honda F6B. Has the fitting problem been addressed and rectified or am i looking forward to a frustrating time trying to make the seat fit? The fact that i am in Australia will make it difficult to return the item if i discover that i cannot fit it.
    Your suggestions regarding this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards and best
    Chris
    Before you install the Mustang seat order the "new and updated" tapered seat bolts from Rick at Value Accessories and your install will be much easier and far less frustrating...I speak from experience with my seat, but with the new bolts in work super...Some have had luck with the stock seat bolts, but these newer tapered ones are longer and do the job....You will love the Mustang seat......

Hi Chris,

The F6B seat is a very tight fit and can be difficult to install. Many customers call because they have trouble opening or closing their lids.

This can be rectified by loosening all 4 allen bolts and centering the seat on the bike. Slowly tighten each of the 4 bolts a small amount each time; checking to make sure that both lids are able to open. If lids on one side are not able to open, adjust the seat slightly. This technique will keep the seat in proper alignment and assure that you will be able to gain access to both bags.

We also show mounting instructions for our seats on our website. Go to www.mustantseats.com and enter the part number in the upper right hand corner “Search Box”. You will see a page that gives the seat description and a picture of the seat. Under the picture is a link that says “More Info”. If you click on that link, it will bring up another page (similar to the first) that will also have a link under the picture that says “Mounting Instructions”.

As I mentioned before, the seat can be difficult to install. When we first made this seat last year, we did decide to recall the seats. The seats were fitting the bikes, but the customers were having so much trouble getting into their saddlebags that they had to take their seats off. The recall affected our first 6 customers, so we were able to easily get the seats back for rework.

The seats are as difficult to build as they are to install and we only have 2 employees that make these seats. With all being said, I have never witnessed a situation where these seats have had to come back for repair or exchange because of not fitting on the bike or being able to access the bags. (After the initial 6, that is.) I checked with our Technician and he said that his experience with this seat is the same.
    Before you install the Mustang seat order the new style tapered and longer seat bolts from Rick at Value Accessories...It makes the install much easier and less of a hassle...I know some have used the stock bolts, but these aftermarket ones make a world of difference when removing and re-installing the seat....Pay attention to the info from Mustang work each bolt slowly and you should have no issues....

Cheers Opas, will do.

It will be interesting to see how it goes, i have picked up so many hints, hopefully if i combine them all. Lets see.

Chris

I installed my seat using the stock bolts at first since the replacement bolts took a little longer to get here. But the seat is a great one. I am going to put the one I have through its paces next week on a long ride
    Matt Russell
    First Officer
    SCRC Chapter 189
    Orangeburg SC

Good stuff Chris; here's to everything working out for ya.

Cosborn, when I installed my seat, I put painters tape on the sides of the bike and marked where the holes where... as I positioned the seat, I ran a screwdriver into each hole...when all four holes had a screwdriver in them, I then started with the bolts...one at a time...got it on the first try !!! Goodluck !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I'll try the same Steve, thanks

Chris

Does anyone else have a Mustang seat that doesn't seem to come forward enough to the tank area? Mine has a slight gap, and there are some black nubs on the tank that show. I contacted Mustang, but they basically said I was S.O.L. because I wasn't the original owner. Seat was less than a year old though at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock View Post
    Does anyone else have a Mustang seat that doesn't seem to come forward enough to the tank area? Mine has a slight gap, and there are some black nubs on the tank that show. I contacted Mustang, but they basically said I was S.O.L. because I wasn't the original owner. Seat was less than a year old though at the time.
    Yes I can see the black nubs on the tank nut it's not noticeable to others.
    I cleaned out the bolt holes and it helped a lot.
    Love the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock View Post
    Mine exposes these "nubs" just a little..Unless one really looks closely they are hardly noticeable...Only the owner/rider might see them...No big deal and the seat works great.....