Santana
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santana

Santana

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ibIlGlBufyw

Not sure what most people thought about his rendition of The National Anthem. I liked it. His wife did a great job on the drums also!!!

Don't get me wrong...I'm a musician too and love Santana but not this performance. Maybe it's my age but I really didn't enjoy it. Otherwise, I'm a big Santana fan. I'm sure others will have different opinions. Speaking personally as a musician, there is a need not to "play it straight" but to do something special with it. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. And for sure, no matter what you do, some will like it and some won't. People routinely "butcher" the National Anthem. My favorite trumpet renditions, so far, have come from Jesse McGuire and Arturo Sandoval. They literally give me chills!
    Ken (Hornblower)

That was badazz!
    A biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a moving car window.

Who in the freak is Amalka? It's about the song, not the the performer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

I would have much preferred a more "reverent" version.
    I know he's capable of it.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Some things are just better left alone in my opinion.
    After all we have already shortened the song by three verses.

Doug

Didn't like it when Hendrix or SRV did it. This is not a song to be played, it should be sung. When it's played it takes the focus off the words and puts it on the music. The words are the whole focus, an eyewitness account, of the song/poem that's why it is best done when sung - see Whitney Houston. What the hell is his wife doing there with those distracting, annoying drums? I guess if he didn't take her he'd be on that pill - Noassatall. BTW saw Santana quite a few times, never blown away, hits a lot clams for one concert.

I know it is a personal thing among us all as to how one likes the National Anthem played and Santana did it his way and it's okay by me, but personally in the day(1969) and at that place(Woodstock NY) I loved Jimi Hendrix's version.
    https://youtu.be/sjzZh6-h9fM

Shure a hell of a lot better the Roseanne Barr's rendition(I won't post it).
    Now days this one by Whitney Houston before Super Bowl XXV 1991 in Tampa still send shivers down my spine every time I hear it.
    https://youtu.be/N_lCmBvYMRs

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Good for me, any way he does it.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Didn't like it when Hendrix or SRV did it. This is not a song to be played, it should be sung. When it's played it takes the focus off the words and puts it on the music. The words are the whole focus, an eyewitness account, of the song/poem that's why it is best done when sung - see Whitney Houston. What the hell is his wife doing there with those distracting, annoying drums? I guess if he didn't take her he'd be on that pill - Noassatall. BTW saw Santana quite a few times, never blown away, hits a lot clams for one concert.
    For me this IS America's song...and it sets my ass on fire when people dick it up! Whitney did a great job when the song...my problem begins when people have their rendition of it...it is not a rendition ...it is what it is...leave it alone !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com