Who runs a Belly Pan.....and why - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who runs a Belly Pan.....and why

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Can you still have a center stand with a belly pan?
    Yup.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    OK so I've been wanting to get one. Which is the 'preferred' pan. I like the louvered stainless one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vondawg View Post
    Much appreciated ! About the only thing not mentioned is the lifting aspect....But as I look, it's attached to the frame and maybe the middle rests on the engine (?) so it's strong enough ? ?Just seems like a lot of weight.....I guess best case scenario have a lift that's lifts both wheels.

If you are going to get one ...get the Macgyver pan...you can paint the sides if you want, it is the strongest pan on the market, can easily take lifting the bike with a floor jack... as I posted...why not.... can't think of a reason not to unless you are short on $$$$...Lifting my bike is the main reason I installed one...protection of the soft parts came second...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I've heard some mention that a belly pan helps stabilize the bike with strong side winds.

I would like someone to take a temp readings with a laser temp gauge.
    One at the side just under the cowl with it on and another in the same location with it off.
    I would be interested to see if there is a significant increase in temperature at idle, such as stop lights,etc. with the pan being installed.
    I don't need any more heat on my legs when stopped.
    That is the only down side I could imagine for having one installed.
    More curious than anything since no one seems to complain about it.

Doug

I actually put some extra holes in my pan using a Uni bit added some air flow and will do the same once I get around to ordering another pan .

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    I would like someone to take a temp readings with a laser temp gauge.
    One at the side just under the cowl with it on and another in the same location with it off.
    I would be interested to see if there is a significant increase in temperature at idle, such as stop lights,etc. with the pan being installed.
    I don't need any more heat on my legs when stopped.
    That is the only down side I could imagine for having one installed.
    More curious than anything since no one seems to complain about it.

Doug
    Can't answer that...I will tell you the big bitch is hot, and hot all the time!!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Blocking the air from laminar flow under the engine stops the crankcase (read oil sump) and exhaust pipes from shedding heat.
    That cannot be a good thing.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Blocking the air from laminar flow under the engine stops the crankcase (read oil sump) and exhaust pipes from shedding heat.
    That cannot be a good thing.
    imho, a belly pan actually smooths out the air flow under the bike and between the pan and engine. Directing air flow up against the sump and coolant tank as well as the pan acting like a heat sink. My two bobs worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Roberts View Post
    imho, a belly pan actually smooths out the air flow under the bike and between the pan and engine. Directing air flow up against the sump and coolant tank as well as the pan acting like a heat sink. My two bobs worth.
    Hummm you may have something there.
    I'm curious and would like to see how the wind really goes around, under and over a F6B/Goldwing. Anyone seen any test done in a wind tunnel with smoke on a Goldwing?
    I do run a belly pan with louvers and felt it has helped in bad cross winds or when passing an 18 wheeler going in the opposite direction on a two lane road.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/