Who runs a Belly Pan.....and why - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who runs a Belly Pan.....and why

, BGLRY. It's hard to say exactly what effect, temperature-wise, the BP makes. In my case, with the Macgyver BP mounted up close and actually in contact with the exhaust and other hot parts, it may be acting as a radiator of sorts .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    , BGLRY. It's hard to say exactly what effect, temperature-wise, the BP makes. In my case, with the Macgyver BP mounted up close and actually in contact with the exhaust and other hot parts, it may be acting as a radiator of sorts .
    The BP if touching hot parts in your case could be a big heat sink sucking the heat away.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    The BP if touching hot parts in your case could be a big heat sink sucking the heat away.
    Yeah, BIGLRY, I like that theory! Let's go with it
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I need to go look at what "hot parts" are actually in physical contact.
    I got this strictly for protection of the underside.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

In the electronics world it would be called an insulator. Not to be sour juice but I like the pan for protection but would weigh in on the side that heat would not be sinked away but kept from escaping. What are the hot components underneath the pan and how hot are they? Maybe I need to borrowsteal a IR thermometer and check some temps. I don't think a pan causes undo increases to the underbelly components temps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Maybe I need to borrowsteal a IR thermometer and check some temps. I don't think a pan causes undo increases to the underbelly components temps.
    I would also like to see some actual temps of the sump with and without a BP.
    To me, the insulating effect of a louvered piece of sheet metal over the exhaust pipes and oil sump would trump any heat loss due to conduction of heat to the BP.
    Logic tells me that the engine's cooling system would have to work a lot harder with a BP in place.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I would also like to see some actual temps of the sump with and without a BP.
    To me, the insulating effect of a louvered piece of sheet metal over the exhaust pipes and oil sump would trump any heat loss due to conduction of heat to the BP.
    Logic tells me that the engine's cooling system would have to work a lot harder with a BP in place.
    My thinking is the air under the bike would be very turbulent because of the uneven area, the BP would to some extent smooth this path. Do you think air rushing past would create
    a ventury affect and suck hot air away.

I about went out and purchased an IR thermometer after reading this.
    I have the Showchrome black BP on a 2014 D.

Anyone else have a 2014 D with an IR thermometer? We can compare temps.

Now to get opinions on the data points.....

My thinking......
    Actually take the readings on (parts visible with a BP installed)
    1. oil filter at 6 o'clock from the front
    2. aft on the BP, center of the BP
    3. aft bolt that holds the BP in place on the starboard side
    4. The center thingy in the front that looks like Ironman's heart (the crankcase cover) at the 12 o'clock position.

Dynamics:
    1. Shade, idle until the fans come on.
    2. A 10 minute 40 mph neighborhood ride with nice easy shifting.
    3. A 10 minute "spirited" ride with RPMs and shifting and other such things - making the fans cycle a few times kinda thing
    4. Shade, bike off, at 1 minute, again at 15 minutes and then 30 minutes to check dissipation

So, 4 data points at four dynamic intervals.

I'm NOT a systems engineer or even a decent wrench, and certainly not a proud author, so I'll take any suggestions on where to take a reading or if there's a better methodology as to what to do prior to taking a reading.

Standing by....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

How hard is it to remove the shield(s). Plural for the different styles. Shooting an IR reading of a nonBP at the different areas would give a baseline to be used against a BP bike in which the temps of the same areas below the BP can be readily made. I think our quest is; does the heat shield insulate or evacuate or does nothing? I guess if the IR is shot at the BP in the same locations you may read similar temps, but does it tell us what the temp of the components under the shield are?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    How hard is it to remove the shield(s). Plural for the different styles. Shooting an IR reading of a nonBP at the different areas would give a baseline to be used against a BP bike in which the temps of the same areas below the BP can be readily made. I think our quest is; does the heat shield insulate or evacuate or does nothing? I guess if the IR is shot at the BP in the same locations you may read similar temps, but does it tell us what the temp of the components under the shield are?
    That's why I was trying to pick points that would show a variation in heat that I could get to without removing and reinstalling the pan.
    I'll look at the holes in the BP, maybe there's some way to shoot through them to get to "warmer parts."

To answer your question though, it can take some futzing with to reinstall.
    And to be honest, it takes more time than I am willing to devote.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce