should you meet forum members before setting up rides with them?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: should you meet forum members before setting up rides with them?

should you meet forum members before setting up rides with them?

I have found when setting up rides when people don't know each other is not necessarily a good idea.
    Setting up a neutral place to meet for the first time before committing to ride with them is a much better idea in my opinion.
    Here are my thoughts as to why:
    The only impression prior to meeting someone from a forum is their posts you read on that forum.
    You may not like the way they post or respond to someone else's posts.
    You have now made a negative first impression in your mind solely on written word.
    Others you may like the way they post and think the person is someone you would like to meet.
    Now you have made a positive impression in your mind of the person.Again solely on his written word.
    Once you meet the person face to face,speak to them and interact you may find that your first impression was totally wrong.
    As far as the ride is concerned...
    You know nothing about the way the person rides.
    Do they actually stop at stop signs/lights or do they just roll through them?
    Do they ride really close to you or do they stay way back?
    Do they speed or do they hold other riders up because they ride slower than the posted speed limit?
    These are just examples of what I think should be discussed when you meet them prior to a first ride together.
    How do you feel about this?

Doug

shooter
    So Doug , does that mean our meet and greet is off. Just cause I'm an Axe murderer don't mean you have to be squeamish. I can't believe it. How can you even think you wouldn't like Ole Shooter. I mean I'm personable , dang good looking , know almost everything about everything , my Ole Lady is Hot and I have the best looking F6B on the forum. What's not to like.

Most find me to be an idiot on forums, but I'm not a bad guy either...just not an admitted ax murderer like Shooter.

I can add this though....made some of the best friends that way. In one case, it was two rides and no one wanted to ever ride with the guy again.

shooter
    See Doug. Another ringing endorsement for Shooter. I'm actually loved by many , feared by a few , and hated by 2 or 3.

shooter
    Doug in answer to your question , I have done maybe a half dozen of the going in blind things. Most went OK. Had one bad experience with a guy on a Victory invited by another guy. He followed me so close I quit leading. Tried talking to him about it. I went to the back. About an hour later he ran into my buddy at a stop sign. Both guys ended up on the ground with damage to both bikes. You never know about experience level. Group rides can be tricky. Knowing what I know now I would be leery if I didn't have at least a good reference.

I actually hope it works out when I meet forum members.
    I have rode with two forum members and it was great.
    On the other hand I have rode with others from other forums that all I wanted to do was slap the crap out of them because they were riding way over their heads trying to impress me.
    I kept thinking if they really want to impress me,use some common sense,don't speed through turns,stop taking off like you are drag racing and don't try to run me over at stop signs.

Doug

I dont ride in large groups and don't ride in small groups. Just don't have the experience and I am not so afraid of the others, more afraid of me. 53 will skool me on the way to Franklin.

I have a lot of meets with folks I have met on forums, never a bad experience. Some I agreed with, some I didn't prior to meeting them. But face to face you pretty much become an amicable person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Doug in answer to your question , I have done maybe a half dozen of the going in blind things. Most went OK. Had one bad experience with a guy on a Victory invited by another guy. He followed me so close I quit leading. Tried talking to him about it. I went to the back. About an hour later he ran into my buddy at a stop sign. Both guys ended up on the ground with damage to both bikes. You never know about experience level. Group rides can be tricky. Knowing what I know now I would be leery if I didn't have at least a good reference.
    Shooter, he was on the 9 forum, but seems to have left it. One of my first big rides was up in NH, about 8 bikes. We would be in line, then he would pull out, passing cars and leave everyone behind. Then at rest stops, he and his g/f would run in the woods and smoke a joint....at the end of the day, they just took off and left us all to ride back. It was a blessing at that point.

shooter
    OMG!!!! Don't tell that story Duke. That was back in my wild days. That was a long time ago. Back in 2014. I've really grown up since then.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    I dont ride in large groups and don't ride in small groups. Just don't have the experience and I am not so afraid of the others, more afraid of me. 53 will skool me on the way to Franklin.

I have a lot of meets with folks I have met on forums, never a bad experience. Some I agreed with, some I didn't prior to meeting them. But face to face you pretty much become an amicable person.
    Stro , you and I have a checkered past. Buddy , keep both eyes on 53. You know he's ex military. Those guys can be batshyt crazy.