Rear shock setting - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear shock setting

Cool

Turn the knowb until you see 4 lines showing...that would be on the soft side....the more lines showing the more firm...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Okay, Brian, I see your point, I was calling it backwards from what it should be called. Yes, you are right that the highest setting, all the way counter-clockwise, is the softest setting, because...as you stated...we are getting the most dampening at the highest rate, and....the opposite end of the adjustment is the lowest dampening rate, which is the firmest...all the way clockwise. I believe that we all knew what was being said, it came down to a matter of semantics. But I do agree with what you said.

Here is my point...there is a problem with this adjuster. Period. No if's ands, or buts about it.

The majority of us are finding that we are only using the (highest) 5 to maybe 10 % of the adjustment range. There are a very few people that have found they can use much more of the adjustment range...and I would love to know the last 4 digits of their VIN's. I think that possibly Honda reealized they made a mistake somewhere along the production line, and they corrected this error, and finally sent out units with a pre-load adjuster that was corrct for this bike.

I find it very highly improbable that this is the correct pre-load adjuster, when my own bike is set at the maximum dampening rate...all the way counter-clockwise, and that anything more than 1 full rotation of the adjuster...2 clicks...is too firm for me, meaning the dampening rate is not enough, and the bike is WAY to harsh to ride. Okay, a very few people have found they can adjust theirs to the mid range or more on their adjusters, but when 93.14159% of us are using the highest settings...the 5 % to maybe 10% of the adjusters range...and that is it...then there is a problem.

Nicely put!

Never thought about until you put it down, but your right. If we are only using the lower 10% the rest is wasted. It would have made more sense to install something that the base setting is in the middle or a little less.

Is this the same preloaded that is on a full wing with the added weight?

Any aftermarket items that could change this?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    So, you tell me...if a shock pre-load adjuster has a total travel of 19 full turns, or 38 clicks, and we are using it at 1 click, or maybe 2 clicks...and those that have tried it at 6 clicks or up to 15 clicks have all found it to be toooooooooo firm, then in reality we are only able to use the lowest 10 % of the adjustibility of this pre-load adjuster.

That means, the remaining 90 % of the pre-load adjuster is of no use to us. To me, that indicates that they have used the WRONG pre-load adjuster on this bike. We should be able to use up to 50 % of more of the pre-load adjusters range...not the lowest 10%.
    "Ride Shiny Side Up"

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    Is this the same preloaded that is on a full wing with the added weight?

Any aftermarket items that could change this?

I cannot say with certainty that this is or is not the same, but the adjustment manner is completely different. On a GL-1800 Wing, you have two adjustment buttons, for a setting # 1, and a setting # 2. When you choose to adjust either of these setting, for example, setting # 1...you push that button for a moment, then push the up or down buttons to electrically adjust the rear shock pre-load. The range on that is 0 to 30. On all 3 of my previous full sized Wings, I always used a setting of 13 for a solo rider...setting # 1...and a setting of 22 for a heavier load...setting # 2.

And that is my point. On a full sized Wing, with a range of 0 to 30...I would use a setting of 13 as a solo rider, wanting to ride a sport mode bike.
    On this F6B, with a range of 0 to 38 clicks...or 0 to 19 full turns of ther manual adjuster...I am set at 0...zero. I am set at the softest possible setting that can be made, and anything firmer is too firm for me. And...I ride the bike like it is a CBR600RR.

Whether Honda is using the same adjuster or not...and if they are...does it make a difference that the F6B uses a manual adjuster, whereas the full sized wing uses an electric adjuster...I do not know.

What I do know, is that there is a problem with these adjusters.