Rear shock setting - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear shock setting

Finally took the wife on our first ride this morning. I clicked up the suspension 3 full turns. What a remarkable bike. Riding two up on this is still so incredible. It was easy for her to tell how well this bike handles over the Ultra. She still isn't used to being out there, without all the extra support the back seat on the Ultra provides, but I can tell she enjoyed it.

By the way, how in the hell are you supposed to take the right cover off to get full access to the rear shock adjuster. I only removed it enough to slide my hand in to make a few turns. I felt as if I was going to permanently rip this cover off. Any advice?

Open the saddle bag......
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Tried open and closed. I'll try again.

I have been running the preload all the way down to the first click (softest setting). Still very stiff for my weight at 155lbs, that is not including helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, etc. My wife went out with me for the first time on Saturady together we are in the 300 to 325lbs range. I first set the preload at 16 clicks from full soft but thought it was a little to light so we stopped and I went up to 20 clicks (4 more clicks) on preload and that seemed to be pretty good. Yes I would agree the shock spring is to stiff.

So from what I've read here- clockwise all the way in is full soft?
    The way the manual explains is counterclockwise all the way out is full soft.

Frontier, the manual is right...only in this one case

Turn the adjuster knob all the way counter-clockwise to go to the lowest setting...full soft setting.

Most of us have been finding that only 1 or 2 full turns out from the lowest setting is where we have ours adjusted.

Considering that the adjuster will turn a full 19 turns clockwise...to the full FIRM setting, that shows that we are using about 5% of the adjustment range for our riding.

Thanks Miles!

your looking at it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    This rear shock pre-load adjuster bothers me. WHY ? Because it is NOT the correct one for this bike. Period.

After having tried several different settings, from half-way...to one quarter way...to one ten way...I just coleted my ride down to Redding, Cal to have my seat done, and the entire ride I had it set at 2 clicks...one full turn...out from the lowest setting. It was even a little bit firm there. I will adjust it today down to only 1 click...a half turn out from the lowest setting possible.

So, you tell me...if a shock pre-load adjuster has a total travel of 19 full turns, or 38 clicks, and we are using it at 1 click, or maybe 2 clicks...and those that have tried it at 6 clicks or up to 15 clicks have all found it to be toooooooooo firm, then in reality we are only able to use the lowest 10 % of the adjustibility of this pre-load adjuster.

That means, the remaining 90 % of the pre-load adjuster is of no use to us. To me, that indicates that they have used the WRONG pre-load adjuster on this bike. We should be able to use up to 50 % of more of the pre-load adjusters range...not the lowest 10%.

Miles,

Low is firm and high is soft. The high and low are referring to dampening rate, not the firmness. If you have a high dampening rate, then the ride is softer because the dampening rate is faster. Which means the wheel is able to move with less restriction. Low is firm because it is slowing down the dampening. Read in owners manual. Bumpy road = hi and smooth road = low.

Think about it like this. If the piston inside the shock can move faster, this translates to a smoother ride because it is absorbing the bumps. If the piston is not allowed to move freely , then this translates to a firm ride. Dampening rate is sometimes also spoken in terms of frequency. How that piston moves at speed is like a frequency. Well truth be told it is a spring frequency and dampening is just controlling spring frequency (rate).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Brian

Brian hit the nail on the head with that info.I go 350lbs so I am what you would call two up all by my lonesome.I have adjusted the preload knob from a 1/4 to full and have settled on arond 3/4 of the way full up.The lower I would set it the harder the ride and I did feel a difference in all the settings with my size.At 3/4 I feel firm on the road and it gives well on the bumps.This bike handles awsome for it's mass and I am getting more comfortable and confident with every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Brian hit the nail on the head with that info.I go 350lbs so I am what you would call two up all by my lonesome.I have adjusted the preload knob from a 1/4 to full and have settled on arond 3/4 of the way full up.The lower I would set it the harder the ride and I did feel a difference in all the settings with my size.At 3/4 I feel firm on the road and it gives well on the bumps.This bike handles awsome for it's mass and I am getting more comfortable and confident with every ride.
    Just for clarity! If I turn the control knob full counter-clockwise the firmer/harder the ride! As I turn the knob clockwise the softer the ride becomes!

I currently have the knob four clicks clockwise from the factory setting of 0. The ride is very firm

I'm confused by the info in the owners manual