Anybody else just can't get comfortable? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else just can't get comfortable?

I'm 5'10, 250# and a 30" inseam. The OEM seat would start hurting at about 30-45 minutes of riding, and I couldn't flat foot the bike.

I sent my seat to Mean City Cycles for work. They shaved the sides making it narrower, lowered the seat by about 1.5", installed memory foam in the seat and backrest, and added seat heaters.

Rode for almost 4 hours straight yesterday and no problems whatsoever. Well cagers are still a problem, but that has nothing to do with the seat. And now I can flat foot the bike in sneakers!

Quote Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post

Man, that's a gorgeous bike!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Man, that's a gorgeous bike!
    Thank you!

I disregarded standard suggestions, and have put several coats of liquid glass on her. It makes her shine a little in the sun, and I think looks better than the flat matte white. Also makes it easier to clean the 4,367 bugs off of her I seem to pick up on every ride! lol

Quote Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
    I'm 5'10, 250# and a 30" inseam. The OEM seat would start hurting at about 30-45 minutes of riding, and I couldn't flat foot the bike.

I sent my seat to Mean City Cycles for work. They shaved the sides making it narrower, lowered the seat by about 1.5", installed memory foam in the seat and backrest, and added seat heaters.

Rode for almost 4 hours straight yesterday and no problems whatsoever. Well cagers are still a problem, but that has nothing to do with the seat. And now I can flat foot the bike in sneakers!

That is a beautiful looking seat!

Can I ask? What did Mean City charge?

WP_20151215_16_03_06_Pro.jpg

I spent the extra money to get the Russell dual saddle for me and the wife. She then agreed to write a check for the Heli bars plus a trike farkle.

resized.jpgWP_20150714_16_35_11_Pro.jpg

Pictures included for the print impaired.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    That is a beautiful looking seat!

Can I ask? What did Mean City charge?
    It was $700 something for everything they did, which included shipping and express service. I had the drivers back rest done with memory foam, the front and back seating areas done with memory foam and luxury heaters, and the trimming of the front part of the seat pan to make it narrower and a bit shorter.

And with the exception of the two seat heater switches that you can see in the pic, and the backrest that was added previously, it looks stock.

They do an amazing job, and schedule all of their work in advance. Lead time for reservations seems to be running at about a month.

They have a web site & facebook page, so you can see the work they do.

very customer friendly and I would definitely use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    If I were thinking like you----

Indian. I was impressed with the Dark Horse or Vintage at the demo ride in Daytona. Hi quality and great ride. Dealer network would be a serious concern to me, so it depends what you have close by.

OMG, I rode the Indians. Gutless pieces of art. That's about it.

Here's my .02 w/ similar screwed up body parts;

6' 2" here w/ 36" inseam also w/ 2 herniated discs - AND 27 yrs ago 3 lower back disc fusion (6 screws attached then taken out) as well as portions of 3 ribs cut off - and a shoulder replacement 7 years ago. humpty dumpty fall off the wall. lol As Nick Nolte kinda said in North Dallas Forty, 'different parts of my body wake up at different times'.

Yes, a tad difficult getting used to but acclimating quickly and seems better and better with each ride. So, for leg comfort, I've added the roadsmith lowering kit, kuryakyn mini-floorboards, kuryakyn ergo III's, and Ultimate KIng - and it helps a lot. Getting used to riding in the B's normal position more and more especially with the roadsmith kit. Anything after 4 gear, I"m on the ergo III's. The fairing thing does bug the shit out of me and I do miss the enjoyment of stretching out in the normal position of my V-twin HOWEVER,- I definitely DO NOT feel beat up after riding 400 miles. It would have been nice if Honda would have went the BMW 1600 route with an in-line 6, but the GW 6 is bullet proof and very proven so there's no need for them to change out for a few tall guys.

In 2nd week of June, I'll be doing my first 3K, 8 day trip - (Hollywood to Sedona to Moab to Park City to Salt Lake City, back to Moab, to Zion to N.Rim Grnd Cyn, to Mesquite to Vegas back to Hollywood) w/ two different BBBC's (Big Breasted Blonde Companions) passengers along the way. Plan on putting 15-20 K miles the B this summer and fall. Giving this bike 1 yr hopefully it's everything I desire, 'cuz I do not wish to go back to a V-twin. If I do, it would be an Indian. Or may a BWM 1600.

I'll be 58 this summer, and God willing, I'm able to ride until I'm 75. That's not 17 yrs - that's ONLY 17 summers remaining - so I want to thoroughly enjoy each one of 'em - and I'd like this bike to be my last touring bike.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

I have Helibars with MBL risers and ultimate king seat. the setup is comfortable but I don't like how high the seat sets me. I'm 6'2" and sit up straight due to a bad back. I'm going to see if I can have some foam removed from the seat. If mustang offered a backrest I would try that.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous1 View Post

In 2nd week of June, I'll be doing my first 3K, 8 day trip - (Hollywood to Sedona to Moab to Park City to Salt Lake City, back to Moab, to Zion to N.Rim Grnd Cyn, to Mesquite to Vegas back to Hollywood) w/ two different BBBC's (Big Breasted Blonde Companions) passengers along the way.
    It appears that you have the custom backrest covered. Enjoy that trip. I've covered it a couple of times in July no less. Are you camping in Zion?