Big THANKS! to Show Low Motorsports.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big THANKS! to Show Low Motorsports.

Big THANKS! to Show Low Motorsports.

Long story short... after losing the main bolt for the left front brake caliper in the middle of nowhere between Globe and Show Low, AZ, the kind folks at Show Low Motorsports (NOT a Honda shop, btw) went out of their way to assist me with finding a suitable temporary replacement to get me the 170 miles back home to Phoenix.

Service adviser Ron and Parts Mgr J.R. both deserve kudos, and definitely get my thanks and appreciation. Instead of just shrugging off me and my Honda, they took the extra time to look up parts and make phone calls to make sure I could get what I needed, an 8x45 socket head bolt.

Here's a pic of the road fix that got me 45 miles to their shop. It's a metal cargo net hook, bent on both ends and wedged into the caliper and bracket. Catastrophe averted! Workin' them Angels!

Attachment 14644
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    Long story short...
    Had you ever had it out??

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Had you ever had it out??
    Yes. (sheepishly)
    Apparently I was careless w replacement. Locktite is my friend...
    and God has other plans for me than to perish of stupidity.

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Wonder if that's why Honda recommends replacing not reusing those bolts.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    Wonder if that's why Honda recommends replacing not reusing those bolts.
    There are 2 different opinions, maybe both are true, maybe not.
    Opinion 1: Honda is covering their ass, as some DIY'ers would not recognize loctite on the removed caliper bolts.
    Opinion 2: The bolts themselves are deformed from torque stretch and should not be re-used.

I'd go with door #1. I don't think the torque specs on the bolts would cause stretch. What are the specs, something like 20 ft-lbs? I've re-used caliper bolts before, always reapplied loctite, and never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    There are 2 different opinions, maybe both are true, maybe not.
    Opinion 1: Honda is covering their ass, as some DIY'ers would not recognize loctite on the removed caliper bolts.
    Opinion 2: The bolts themselves are deformed from torque stretch and should not be re-used.

I'd go with door #1. I don't think the torque specs on the bolts would cause stretch. What are the specs, something like 20 ft-lbs? I've re-used caliper bolts before, always reapplied loctite, and never had an issue.
    Correct, you will notice on all OEM bolts that have Loctite on them from the factory are the ones that Honda recommends replacing with new any time they are removed, that goes for calipers, rotors and all other fasteners that could cause a catastrophic failure if loosened or fell out. The new fasteners will have some form of Loctite on them. I reuse all fasteners when ever possible and use Loctite on all the critical safety components.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Long story short... after losing the main bolt for the left front brake caliper in the middle of nowhere between Globe and Show Low, AZ, the kind folks at Show Low Motorsports (NOT a Honda shop, btw) went out of their way to assist me with finding a suitable temporary replacement to get me the 170 miles back home to Phoenix.

Service adviser Ron and Parts Mgr J.R. both deserve kudos, and definitely get my thanks and appreciation. Instead of just shrugging off me and my Honda, they took the extra time to look up parts and make phone calls to make sure I could get what I needed, an 8x45 socket head bolt.

Here's a pic of the road fix that got me 45 miles to their shop. It's a metal cargo net hook, bent on both ends and wedged into the caliper and bracket. Catastrophe averted! Workin' them Angels!
    Wow, crazy. Nice road side fix though.

If you ever want company on a ride let me know, I sat home all day yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Wow, crazy. Nice road side fix though.

If you ever want company on a ride let me know, I sat home all day yesterday.

I'll keep that in mind, Bobby. This was an unplanned, spur-of-the-moment ride. I just finished a work shift and left for home, but instead of turning right, I turned left... and just kept going!

I was just glad I had that cargo net and some tools w me. It sucks to be broke down w no way to continue.

I'll keep that in mind, Bobby. This was an unplanned, spur-of-the-moment ride. I just finished a work shift and left for home, but instead of turning right, I turned left... and just kept going!

I was just glad I had that cargo net and some tools w me. It sucks to be broke down w no way to continue.
    That's the best kind of ride. Sometimes the planned ones suck the fun out.

Speaking of planned rides, I signed up for this one:

http://www.goaz.com/eventslist.htm?g...&itemId=242179

My wife and I will be staying here:

http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/bestv.cfm?idp=1224

Not many options in Springerville. I've stayed there before on business and it wasn't a bad place.