Suspension woes? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suspension woes?

Unfortunately... yes I get this too, but I don't think anything is wrong or broken.

If there's anything this bike doesn't do well, it's the front end on bumpy roads

Quote Originally Posted by nox View Post
    Does anyone know why the F6B and standard Goldwing have different part numbers for the progressive monotubes.
    Our tubes are *probably* damped a little differently

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    How much extra height in the seat is 17 clicks?
    Steve
    There's no extra height but less sag when you sit on the bike. Maybe an inch or so, I don't know. Depends how much you weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    There's no extra height but less sag when you sit on the bike. Maybe an inch or so, I don't know. Depends how much you weigh.
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Unfortunately... yes I get this too, but I don't think anything is wrong or broken.

If there's anything this bike doesn't do well, it's the front end on bumpy roads

Our tubes are *probably* damped a little differently
    I remember a comment made by a test rider in a recent mag that compared the "Three Wings" so to speak, GW, F6B, Valk. He said if the GW or F6B had any weakness it was the outdated suspension on the front forks that did not compare to the recent BMW Touring bikes which he felt was their main competition....Ride safe

That's is what I was wondering, my X has inverted forks and are very stable

Before you go progressive call Traxxion Dynamics. I had them in my wing and they are EH... They only have 1 spring rate, no real adjustment except a clip, and you don't even know if you need that until you install it and ride it and realize you need to do the opposite of what you did during install and tear it all back apart again.

Traxxion setups are awesome, hands down the best. What I would start with is a set of Traxxion springs that will get the ride height right and gain you about 1" more of ground clearance. That's about all your really gonna get no matter what you do. The suspension only travels so far. I have the Full Monty on my Wing and it's amazing. I'm going to do the Traxxion springs on my F6B as well and see how that clears it up. I would recommend there fork brace too, they make it in black, I'll be ordering one for my B. You can get both of those for the price of the Progressives's and I personally feel it's worlds better.

JMHO though...
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan2k View Post
    Before you go progressive call Traxxion Dynamics. I had them in my wing and they are EH... They only have 1 spring rate, no real adjustment except a clip, and you don't even know if you need that until you install it and ride it and realize you need to do the opposite of what you did during install and tear it all back apart again.

Traxxion setups are awesome, hands down the best. What I would start with is a set of Traxxion springs that will get the ride height right and gain you about 1" more of ground clearance. That's about all your really gonna get no matter what you do. The suspension only travels so far. I have the Full Monty on my Wing and it's amazing. I'm going to do the Traxxion springs on my F6B as well and see how that clears it up. I would recommend there fork brace too, they make it in black, I'll be ordering one for my B. You can get both of those for the price of the Progressives's and I personally feel it's worlds better.

JMHO though...
    Senior moment here perhaps. I'm unclear about your comparison of Traxxion and Progressive. Are you comparing fork springs only or the full deal with both Trxxion and Progressive. Is it Progressive that you are saying has adjustments to be made that can't be determined before the install is over? The Progressive Monotube Kit is $350 while the Traxxion is $1,200 plus there is installation for either. Is that correct. How do those compare in performance? I understood you to say you were going to go Traxxion springs only on your 6. How much improvement would you expect with just springs compared to the full AK-20? My aim would be to get the most bang for the buck. Spending more for a significant improvement would be OK but to spend quite a bit more for just a small marginal improvement probably wouldn't be worth it to me. I ride a lot of mountains and foothills in steep twisties but I'm not one who feels I have to spend the day dragging my pegs. When doing the install of either product, it would seem that adding All Balls would make sense. What do you think? Do Traxxions have to be installed at a designated install location? Thanks for any clarification you can help me with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    ... When doing the install of either product, it would seem that adding All Balls would make sense. What do you think? Do Traxxions have to be installed at a designated install location? Thanks for any clarification you can help me with.
    I have been following this as well for the F6B. From Traxxion's website for the complete fork kit:

"... ***The AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit for the Honda GL1800 Goldwing, fits all year models, and MUST be installed by Traxxion Dynamics or by one of our Independent Installers. ..."

AK-20-Axxion-Cartridge-Kit

I don't see on their site where it states it raises the ground clearance by 1".

Interested to hear from people who have them on their F6B.

HTH

I have the Traxxion Dynamics fork kits and it did NOT raise my front by any noticeable amount. It did however vastly improve front suspension performance. Big Dawg, on this forum, would be the expert on this subject.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Because the bike is properly sprung for the weight that's what gives you the ground clearance. The bike unfortunately SAGS about 50% of the suspension, it only has about 4.1 or inches of travel in the first place. When it's spring properly it only sags about half that giving you the extra clearance that you seek. It was a very very noticeable difference in performance between progressive and Traxxion.

I believe it would be a big help and equal to the progressive kit with just the springs in the B. The 60lb weight savings makes a difference. I didn't like the progressive kit at all it just seemed to make the ride more harsh than it needed to be and didn't really make the bike feel any better in the corners. The progressive kit only has 1 adjustment, a spacer. You either install it or you don't. It also retains the stock anti dive which locks the left fork leg when you use the rear brake. Which I hate. The spacer is a guess. You either put it in or you don't. If you do and don't like it you have to disassemble the forks to take them out and vice versa.

The Traxxion full front adds a full cartridge setup in both forks instead of the faux cat ridge right fork and dampening rod/anti dive left fork and it also adds dampening adjusters on the fork caps to fine tune the ride. It rides like a GoldWing should and it handles like nobody's business. It is a worthy upgrade and far superior to the progressive setup in my opinion from running both of them. The rear spring is also a good idea because it's also to soft for even the weight of the bike add a 200+lb rider and your way under sprung. Then add passenger and gear and you get the idea.

Since I have it do all over again with the B, which I feel isn't quite as bad as the Wing I'm going to start with springs. At least I'll get the travel out of the forks and the right sag. I've had friends ride my wing and comment it's the best riding machine they've ever been on.

I've been fortunate to ride Progressive Wings, RaceTech and Traxxion. Personally I rank them in that order. The RaceTech setup is more work and lots of modifications but retains the stock internals, it's better than the progressive for a little more money I believe. They say the best you know is the best you've ridden. I believe that. After riding the best it's definitely awesome!
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3