Suspension woes? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suspension woes?

Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan2k View Post
    Because the bike is properly sprung for the weight that's what gives you the ground clearance. The bike unfortunately SAGS about 50% of the suspension, it only has about 4.1 or inches of travel in the first place. When it's spring properly it only sags about half that giving you the extra clearance that you seek. It was a very very noticeable difference in performance between progressive and Traxxion.

I believe it would be a big help and equal to the progressive kit with just the springs in the B. The 60lb weight savings makes a difference. I didn't like the progressive kit at all it just seemed to make the ride more harsh than it needed to be and didn't really make the bike feel any better in the corners. The progressive kit only has 1 adjustment, a spacer. You either install it or you don't. It also retains the stock anti dive which locks the left fork leg when you use the rear brake. Which I hate. The spacer is a guess. You either put it in or you don't. If you do and don't like it you have to disassemble the forks to take them out and vice versa.

The Traxxion full front adds a full cartridge setup in both forks instead of the faux cat ridge right fork and dampening rod/anti dive left fork and it also adds dampening adjusters on the fork caps to fine tune the ride. It rides like a GoldWing should and it handles like nobody's business. It is a worthy upgrade and far superior to the progressive setup in my opinion from running both of them. The rear spring is also a good idea because it's also to soft for even the weight of the bike add a 200+lb rider and your way under sprung. Then add passenger and gear and you get the idea.

Since I have it do all over again with the B, which I feel isn't quite as bad as the Wing I'm going to start with springs. At least I'll get the travel out of the forks and the right sag. I've had friends ride my wing and comment it's the best riding machine they've ever been on.

I've been fortunate to ride Progressive Wings, RaceTech and Traxxion. Personally I rank them in that order. The RaceTech setup is more work and lots of modifications but retains the stock internals, it's better than the progressive for a little more money I believe. They say the best you know is the best you've ridden. I believe that. After riding the best it's definitely awesome!

Thanks for a great answer to my questions. Very comprehensive and it's a big help

From Traxxion's Harley Davidson page:

"... Put some American GUTS into those wimpy Japanese forks on your Harley! (No, they aren't made in America...) You don't weigh 120 pounds, and that front suspension on your bike can't hold you up! If you are tired of the bouncing, wallowing, bottoming, chattering, wobbling of your stock forks, then TRAXXION DYNAMICS has the CURE! ..."

I am guilty, I do not weigh 120lbs !

Because the bike is properly sprung for the weight that's what gives you the ground clearance. The bike unfortunately SAGS about 50% of the suspension, it only has about 4.1 or inches of travel in the first place. When it's spring properly it only sags about half that giving you the extra clearance that you seek. It was a very very noticeable difference in performance between progressive and Traxxion.

I believe it would be a big help and equal to the progressive kit with just the springs in the B. The 60lb weight savings makes a difference. I didn't like the progressive kit at all it just seemed to make the ride more harsh than it needed to be and didn't really make the bike feel any better in the corners. The progressive kit only has 1 adjustment, a spacer. You either install it or you don't. It also retains the stock anti dive which locks the left fork leg when you use the rear brake. Which I hate. The spacer is a guess. You either put it in or you don't. If you do and don't like it you have to disassemble the forks to take them out and vice versa.

The Traxxion full front adds a full cartridge setup in both forks instead of the faux cat ridge right fork and dampening rod/anti dive left fork and it also adds dampening adjusters on the fork caps to fine tune the ride. It rides like a GoldWing should and it handles like nobody's business. It is a worthy upgrade and far superior to the progressive setup in my opinion from running both of them. The rear spring is also a good idea because it's also to soft for even the weight of the bike add a 200+lb rider and your way under sprung. Then add passenger and gear and you get the idea.

Since I have it do all over again with the B, which I feel isn't quite as bad as the Wing I'm going to start with springs. At least I'll get the travel out of the forks and the right sag. I've had friends ride my wing and comment it's the best riding machine they've ever been on.

I've been fortunate to ride Progressive Wings, RaceTech and Traxxion. Personally I rank them in that order. The RaceTech setup is more work and lots of modifications but retains the stock internals, it's better than the progressive for a little more money I believe. They say the best you know is the best you've ridden. I believe that. After riding the best it's definitely awesome!
    I agree with Bruce; this is great Morgan and thanks for sharing.

What is the 60 lb weight saving?

Sorry should have been more clear i was referring to the 60lb difference between my Goldwing and the F6B, which honestly cause I have stuff on the wing it's probably about 80lbs heavier than my F6B. Makes a difference in suspension.

Also last point on the progressive stuff. You can't order any different spring rate with progressive, the rate is the rate and you can't change sprints it's part of the mono tube. So if that rate works for you then your good, if it doesn't well, nothing you can do, not even replace the springs.

Just some thoughts... If your gonna spend the money to open the forks up and the suspension bothers you that much to make the change, do it once, spend a few bucks and be done with it. I spent over $6000 between tires, progressives, a botched fork job and then finally the Full Monty from Traxxion. Don't make the same mistake I made lol
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

Thanks for that clarification on the weight.

Why do you dislike the anti-dive? Maybe I don't pay as much attention... or am not as sensitive to the effect... but when braking HARD, the 6 seems to stay very level which I like. I'm assuming the anti-dive mechanism is responsible for this.

Question

I'm interested to know, what about the Progressive fork spring complete cartridge kit, not just the spring, anybody here run these? Seem reasonably priced. They still run the original antidive but I would think with this replacing both sides to be same it would make more of a difference that just the springs alone.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Thanks for that clarification on the weight.

Why do you dislike the anti-dive? Maybe I don't pay as much attention... or am not as sensitive to the effect... but when braking HARD, the 6 seems to stay very level which I like. I'm assuming the anti-dive mechanism is responsible for this.
    My The stock fork springs are so soft that, without ADV, the front dives with any front braking at all. I assume that's why the ADV was added. Also, and I don't know how true this is, the ADV can cause fork seals to fail . Anyway, my upgrade to Traxxion remedied all that so the ADV was no longer necessary. After this upgrade, I hardly notice any excessive diving at all.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    My The stock fork springs are so soft that, without ADV, the front dives with any front braking at all. I assume that's why the ADV was added. Also, and I don't know how true this is, the ADV can cause fork seals to fail . Anyway, my upgrade to Traxxion remedied all that so the ADV was no longer necessary. After this upgrade, I hardly notice any excessive diving at all.
    Thanks Ken. I never seriously considered upgrading the front... but all this info makes a compelling case.

If these things, either Traxxion or Progressive, smooths out the rattling and jarring way the OEM front handles bumps... I might have to join you guys.

Sorry should have been more clear i was referring to the 60lb difference between my Goldwing and the F6B, which honestly cause I have stuff on the wing it's probably about 80lbs heavier than my F6B. Makes a difference in suspension.

Also last point on the progressive stuff. You can't order any different spring rate with progressive, the rate is the rate and you can't change sprints it's part of the mono tube. So if that rate works for you then your good, if it doesn't well, nothing you can do, not even replace the springs.

Just some thoughts... If your gonna spend the money to open the forks up and the suspension bothers you that much to make the change, do it once, spend a few bucks and be done with it. I spent over $6000 between tires, progressives, a botched fork job and then finally the Full Monty from Traxxion. Don't make the same mistake I made lol
    Do you have a brace on your forks or are they necessary with the Traxxion Full Monty?

The Traxxion full deal sounds like the ideal way to go and I haven't heard any negatives. Wondering if anyone out there has done the complete Traxxion mod and has been less than happy with it. Before I write a check, I'd like to hear both sides of the story but my guess is that a list of concerns would be a real short list. I'd also like to hear folks experience with the All Balls upgrade. When the fork is being done would seem to be the time for the All Balls too, as long as it's a worthy upgrade. Opinions, please.