Suspension woes? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suspension woes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    The Traxxion full deal sounds like the ideal way to go and I haven't heard any negatives. Wondering if anyone out there has done the complete Traxxion mod and has been less than happy with it. Before I write a check, I'd like to hear both sides of the story but my guess is that a list of concerns would be a real short list. I'd also like to hear folks experience with the All Balls upgrade. When the fork is being done would seem to be the time for the All Balls too, as long as it's a worthy upgrade. Opinions, please.
    Hi Bruce,

I had the full Traxxion (Penske rear and AK-20 front, no fork brace) done on my Victory Vision with good results. The only rough spots I had was with the installer who really didn't know how to set it up and configure it (his first install). I was pretty much on my own. I see on Traxxion's website that they are now stating that they are only installed by Traxxion or their authorized installers which should avoid the problems I had. The Traxxion on the Vision got rid of the dive, sag in the suspension and increased ground clearance which was great for corning when riding 2 up. Once it is installed, you need to consider having access to someone authorized to service it and it's service schedule.

I am considering the front for my F6B and also want to learn about the All Balls upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Hi Bruce,

I had the full Traxxion (Penske rear and AK-20 front, no fork brace) done on my Victory Vision with good results. The only rough spots I had was with the installer who really didn't know how to set it up and configure it (his first install). I was pretty much on my own. I see on Traxxion's website that they are now stating that they are only installed by Traxxion or their authorized installers which should avoid the problems I had. The Traxxion on the Vision got rid of the dive, sag in the suspension and increased ground clearance which was great for corning when riding 2 up. Once it is installed, you need to consider having access to someone authorized to service it and it's service schedule.

I am considering the front for my F6B and also want to learn about the All Balls upgrade.

I'm 75 freeway miles from an authorized installer so the install wouldn't be an issue. What kind of a service schedule are we looking at here? Reasonable or a pain? Did you get a readily noticeable improvement in handling on your Vision? Thanks for the info.

I'm 75 freeway miles from an authorized installer so the install wouldn't be an issue. What kind of a service schedule are we looking at here? Reasonable or a pain? Did you get a readily noticeable improvement in handling on your Vision? Thanks for the info.
    My wrench thought the Vision's kit had a pretty frequent service schedule if I remember correctly, but I do not think it is the same kit as the F6B.

The Vision uses the same size tires as the Wing with similar wheelbase, rake and trail (Wing weighs more). I didn't notice much better handling other than the things I mentioned. The top of the fork tubes allowed you to adjust the compression and rebound independently. You could do this with an allen wrench on the Vision without taking anything off. The F6B has a cover that needs to be removed so there maybe a little more work to get at the adjustment points (or possibly 2 inconspicuous holes could be added to the cover?). This adjustment got rid of the dive once it was dialed in properly and made braking and downhills more controllable. When I would sit on the Vision, the suspension would compress (@ 230lbs). With the Penske/Traxxion preload, this no longer happened. It would no longer bottom out under load when hitting a dip in the road while cornering. Not the best time to bottom out.

My biggest concern with the kit on the Vision was having knowledgeable local support for it. Traxxion seems to be less prevalent on the West coast which seems strange because we have riding year round with plenty of twisties and mountains. The same goes for other Victory mods/tuners. Much more support back East for the Victory community.

The service interval for the Wing and Traxxion is 20,000 miles. Not sure how that compares to stock but it doesn't need a lot of attention. Just ride and enjoy.

All Balls. Yes. yes. and Yes. Steering and feel is so much better! No more headshake which a lot of the GoldWing Wobble and can be attributed too. So much smoother and easier at low speeds when you actually have to turn the bars. I also did the Fork Brace and the Triple Tree's. Awesome. The Triple Trees take the flex out of the front end and the fork brace keeps the forks from flexing around.

I now have zero headshake, no decal wobble, longer tire life, better ride, better handling, more ground clearance and overall more pleasure riding. Here are a few pics to show the difference:

Stock ball bearings (just in a race and loose) vs All Balls Conical Bearings, big difference (stock is left if your curious):

Triple Trees = Flex no more

Even the rear shock just looks cool and you don't even see it but the sock keeps crap out of it and the adjuster:

Hope that helps...
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan2k View Post
    The service interval for the Wing and Traxxion is 20,000 miles. Not sure how that compares to stock but it doesn't need a lot of attention. Just ride and enjoy.

All Balls. Yes. yes. and Yes. Steering and feel is so much better! No more headshake which a lot of the GoldWing Wobble and can be attributed too. So much smoother and easier at low speeds when you actually have to turn the bars. I also did the Fork Brace and the Triple Tree's. Awesome. The Triple Trees take the flex out of the front end and the fork brace keeps the forks from flexing around.

I now have zero headshake, no decal wobble, longer tire life, better ride, better handling, more ground clearance and overall more pleasure riding. Here are a few pics to show the difference:

Stock ball bearings (just in a race and loose) vs All Balls Conical Bearings, big difference (stock is left if your curious):

Triple Trees = Flex no more

Even the rear shock just looks cool and you don't even see it but the sock keeps crap out of it and the adjuster:

Hope that helps...

Thanks, Morgan. That's a big help. I just put on new Stones at 14,750 miles. The rear had to be changed but the front looked like it was good for a couple thousand more. Absolutely no cupping or uneven wear. I do have a Superbrace. I'm getting close to popping for this deal but because of cost, will skip the billet triple tree set. The local (75 miles) dealer/installer made me an offer to try out Traxxion on his '09 GL. He has a 9 mile suggested loop of varied roads and conditions and sends prospective customers out for a ride to help them make up their minds. He says they return from the ride ready to write a check. Can't beat an offer like that so I'll be taking him up on it soon. I may do the rear later but that's not part of my thinking now. Thanks again.

FYI they offer a nice financing option if you go Full Monty, just saying keeps more cash in the bank and the interest is almost nothing. That's what I did. 12 months and the last payment is next month WHOOT!
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan2k View Post
    FYI they offer a nice financing option if you go Full Monty, just saying keeps more cash in the bank and the interest is almost nothing. That's what I did. 12 months and the last payment is next month WHOOT!

Do you have any idea how much doing the rear helps? Did you do the billet triple tree also? That's some pretty pricey billet and it's beautiful, but how necessary? It seems that in the Forum conversations on suspension, the main focus is on the front end. I'm not knowledgeable at all so I want to do what's needed but also want to proceed with caution and not blow a bunch of cash for a very small marginal improvement.

Do you have any idea how much doing the rear helps? Did you do the billet triple tree also? That's some pretty pricey billet and it's beautiful, but how necessary? It seems that in the Forum conversations on suspension, the main focus is on the front end. I'm not knowledgeable at all so I want to do what's needed but also want to proceed with caution and not blow a bunch of cash for a very small marginal improvement.
    Bruce I'm new here but I have been riding and working on bikes since my early years. How hard do you ride your bike, do you do quick lane changes, run hard in the canyons ect? If your suspension feels ok to you now don't spend a lot of money on that, it's not needed if you don't ride it hard. Maybe start with a fork brace and if you ride two up with luggage and it doesn't feel right in corners(wallowing) you might go with a shock but in my opinion all this top notch suspension stuff is not needed. I only give this opinion because you say your "not knowledgeable at all" and you were looking for answers. If you want to spend your money buy a good set of tires for safety and other things for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Bruce I'm new here but I have been riding and working on bikes since my early years. How hard do you ride your bike, do you do quick lane changes, run hard in the canyons ect? If your suspension feels ok to you now don't spend a lot of money on that, it's not needed if you don't ride it hard. Maybe start with a fork brace and if you ride two up with luggage and it doesn't feel right in corners(wallowing) you might go with a shock but in my opinion all this top notch suspension stuff is not needed. I only give this opinion because you say your "not knowledgeable at all" and you were looking for answers. If you want to spend your money buy a good set of tires for safety and other things for comfort.
    Thanks for the good advice, TailGunner. You got the point of my questions. I don't mind spending for a noticeable improvement but don't want to spend for a marginal upgrade that would be useful only to a guy who rides like he's in a Superbike race. I do hit the Sierra mountains and foothills fairly hard on a regular basis. I've got new tires and a Superbrace so I'm good to go there.Also have all the comfort stuff to meet my needs like a Rick Mayer seat, Madstad, Utopia drivers backrest, Aero pegs, Kury risers, and so on. I agree with your advice to do those things first. I found a great YouTube video (a set of three) on Gold Wing suspension. It was done by the CEO of Traxxion so I realize that it was inclined to stress the need for upgrades in suspension but it still provided a lot of good info. Others may find this YouTube video useful too if they haven't already seen the set of three videos. It was done in front of an audience of Gold Wing owners at Wing Ding or some other big gathering. Check out "GL 1800 Suspension 101 Part 1", ............Part 2, and ...............Part 3. Very good tutorial on how suspensions operate. Thanks again, TailGunner.

I have miles and miles of switchbacks right out the back door. Don't know how this compares to the dragon or not.