Suspension woes? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suspension woes?

Dam; I wanna ride THOSE roads!

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

Dam; I wanna ride THOSE roads!
    I got stuff like that all around my place, a run up the One to Big Sur starts at my back door, I'm a block off the One. Come on over and I'll show some of the best riding road in Calif.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I got stuff like that all around my place, a run up the One to Big Sur starts at my back door, I'm a block off the One. Come on over and I'll show some of the best riding road in Calif.
    Careful what you ask for

As you can see from my rider map I'm due for an interstate run!

I have to ride 20-30 miles or so to get to that kind of twisties. It's a struggle, I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    BigLry,

Have you done the pass from Fort Hunter Liggett to the ocean?

That is a beautiful run as well as the 1 down the coast.

You have a lot of beautiful land and ocean bluffs up there.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    BigLry,

Have you done the pass from Fort Hunter Liggett to the ocean?

That is a beautiful run as well as the 1 down the coast.

You have a lot of beautiful land and ocean bluffs up there.
    I've made that run more times than I can count, even hiked it as a kid. The road comes out just above Gorda http://www.gordaspringsresort.com/ on the coast, but be warned you travel through a military base so NO weapons of any kind, since 911 they may check you. Right now there is a lot of gravel and sand on the tight turns it is a slow ride, don't take it if you think you are going canyon carving.

I have walked once and rode the One from Big Sur to my home many times over the last 50 years, in fact I'll bet there is not a road in San Luis Obispo county or southern Monterey county I have not rode on a scoot. I can show you places where there are huge steel dinosaurs roaming in the fields out on Huasna rd. that most people here don't even know about or vitas of the Pacific Ocean from the top of Hwy 46 (Green Valley Rd.) where you can see Morro Bay to San Simeon and beyond .

Another good ride that takes you through and over the coastal range is the Carmel Valley Road from Greenfield on the 101 to Del Rio road on the south side of Carmel.

I do a "Run Up the One" every year for the last 12 years every Aug. and have had as many as 92 bikes in tow.
    This year I am calling it "Bash at the Beach" here is more info http://www.californiavtxriders.com/p...ff999da4f931fb

And to keep from being a thread jacked post.... you do need to have your scoots suspension in good order if you want to be comfortable on a lot of these roads.

I would say if you have the opportunity to ride a Traxxion Wing to do so and judge for yourself. It's a HUGE improvement over the stock ride quality, which is very important to me and I don't ride like a super bike rider all the time. It's just more comfortable period to ride no matter where you are or where your going or what your doing from interstate to backroads to trying to be Rossi. It's just better everywhere, low speed, high speed, better tire wear, easier parking lot maneuvers it's just all around better. You don't have to pump your tires to oblivion either, I run 34F and 36R instead of the usual 40/41 so i get quicker warm up and better feel as well.

Your choice your money, it made me love my wing even more. The Triple Trees and All Balls help a good bit at taking the flex out of the front end, part of the front end problems are the flexing, not just the suspensions. This fixes that. Sure it's $450 but its well spent in my opinion.

The rear, absolutely. Now I can run 0 on the adjuster solo and it runs fantastic, I run it at 3 to 5 loaded with a passenger (5) is the max the recommend because that's how much difference in spring rate is on there. Plus Penske units are just awesome anyway. Doesn't make sense to spring the front properly and leave the rear undersprung.

A lot of people "tolerate" the Goldwing issues because the rest of the bike does so well. So they put up with decel wobbles, cupped tires at 5k miles, shaky handlebars, wallowing in the corners, etc. Because I think a lot of them get out and hit the slab and enjoy a buttery smooth ride at 70mph, or the lazy stroll through the backroads and because the Wing just does everything else so well, comfort, radio, accessories, reliability, wind protection, crash protection, the list is long. So many put up with the little idiosyncrasies the bike has because the greater good, is well, good. For those that don't want to put up with all those issues, we buy Traxxion
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I have miles and miles of switchbacks right out the back door. Don't know how this compares to the dragon or not.
    Ah Yes, in that next to last pic you can see the area where RNickeyMouse sets up his cameras to catch the crashes. You can view them on youtube under Mulholland Crash Compilation. The dragon has more trees, and more turns, but switchbacks are switchbacks. I haven't ridden Mulholland in years, may be time to head out west.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Ah Yes, in that next to last pic you can see the area where RNickeyMouse sets up his cameras to catch the crashes. You can view them on youtube under Mulholland Crash Compilation. The dragon has more trees, and more turns, but switchbacks are switchbacks. I haven't ridden Mulholland in years, may be time to head out west.
    Some of the pictures are of Decker Canyon which crosses Mulholland and has more twisties than Mulholland. It is the only road that I made myself carsick on.

Larry has a lot more trees up by him including some redwoods. We have a lot of rocks.

The corner you mentioned is also the corner where the RockStorePhotos.com photos are taken. Cops like to patrol that stretch because the crotch rockets like to play.

_F6B WIP.jpg

Yea Rock Store runs that is a fun one, I've seen some cool machines there on some of my trips south.