Ahh...welcome to the sunny state of Californication!
Them numbers sound about right, I use Progressive(22 years never a claim) for my steel steeds and AAA for my cages and house insurance(32 years never a claim). Progressive gives discounts if you have more than one bike with them and a generous allowance for your add-ons.
AAA gives breaks for multiple policies, good driver, 65 and older and take their senior diving course, cage is garage parked and has burglar alarm.

Also insurance companies red line by where you live, if in LA county it is a higher rates than say in San Luis Obispo county where I live, they say they don't do this anymore, but I think they don't do this any LESS just a different terminology today .
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/2014/10/13/insurance-industry-redline/

they may also check your past driving record from the state you came from

If ya own your scoot and can afford to take the hit and repair your scoot then get Calif's minimum PLPD that is the cheapest way that I know of. Now on the other hand if you are rich then put up a self insurance bond with DMV and screw the insurance companies....yea right, I wish I were that rich.

The cost of living in Calif is so bad none of my kids can afford to live here and if I were starting over I could never affored to live here. I bought my cracker box, 4 bedroom 1200 sq.ft house just off the beach for $22K and is now appraised at $280K+ 40 years later...talk about inflation.