Changing exhaust what are the benefits?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing exhaust what are the benefits?

Changing exhaust what are the benefits?

I guess I am running out of thing to buy for the bike because I am now thinking about the exhaust.

On the Harley that is one of the first things I would have done.
    Ergonomics, pipes, fuel management, breathing. Make you pump more free flowing ASAP to get the best our of the bike.

My question is do most members on the forum agree on the best exhaust system?
    If I change the exhaust,fuel management (Power Commander), and air intake will I get performance results that are worth making the changes?

I thought I read somewhere that the F6B was set up fairly well and already has a built in fuel management system that compensates for any changes you make.

Last night I saw a video on how to install the Power Commander and a M--??? on a Valkyrie. This made me start to wonder if I can get better results with a few changes. Can I use the Power Commander from the Harley (most likely not ???)

If it is just about sound / I kind of like the nice quiet sewing machine of my F6B. After all of the years on the Harley It is nice to be able to hear the stereo again.
    Steve

Do a search for exhaust on this site. Opinions vary.

The cost compared to the minimal gain is not worth IMO. Did it to other bikes I've owned but not happening to this one.
    2013 F6B in black of course

I went with the Cobra because I thought the bike was too quite...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

When I eventually get an exhaust, it will be for sound and looks. There are alot of options coming down the pipe. Someone should start a thread on all the exhaust optopns available. Among the ones already available, 2 brothers, delcavic, freedom exhaust and the one Phantom was talking about, are coming.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's when it was all about glass packs and such. Nothing sounded better than a V-8 with a good exhaust note. Maybe it's an acquired thing . What I do know is that I like to hear an engine run and, for me, the stock exhaust was too quiet. So, for no other reason, I bought a set of Rush pipes. Unfortunately, I do have considerable drone so I will be considering smaller baffles or Torq Loopz and maybe both. Anyway, to answer the OP's question, the benefits might include (depending on personal tastes) better sound and appearance and possibly, slightly better performance.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I bought a set of Rush pipes. Unfortunately, I do have considerable drone so I will be considering smaller baffles or Torq Loopz and maybe both.
    I just bought the Rush slip-ons with 2.0" baffles. In talking to "Catfish" at Rush, I told him that I wanted some character to the exhaust sound, but not too loud and no droning. He suggested the 2.0" baffles.
    What size baffles are giving you too much drone, Ken?

Many people equate louder pipes with more performance, but it doesn't always work that way.

On my V-Twin, I gained performance at higher RPMs and lost torque on the low end (which was a bad thing).

Does anyone know if similar scenarios happens on the 6 ? I haven't seen too many before and after dynos (same dyno, same altitude, same temperature, etc.) for this on the GL1800's.

Because of the drone issue I had with the Cobras, if/when I decide to do it again it will be with Torq Loops and Torq Masters.

I've also thought about getting a custom system done locally. Not sure if it would be any better or cheaper.

How about a pair of Cherry Bombs?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I just bought the Rush slip-ons with 2.0" baffles. In talking to "Catfish" at Rush, I told him that I wanted some character to the exhaust sound, but not too loud and no droning. He suggested the 2.0" baffles.
    What size baffles are giving you too much drone, Ken?
    2.5" and I'm thinking of trying the 2.25" next.
    Ken (Hornblower)