Raising the F6B
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising the F6B

Raising the F6B

Looking ahead for installing a car tire. Wanting to know if it is safe to raising the bike, take the rear wheel off, and leave it on the jack for half a day while I take the wheel to get the tire changed?

Are there any issues with leaving the bike on the jack? Of course I would put a block under it so it would not fall. Wondering about the balance when the wheel comes off?

I really don't want to lay it on its side for half a day, or purchase another wheel.

With my Valkyrie I raised it, took the wheel to get changed, came back and reinstalled it. All was fine. Just wondering if I can do that with the F6B?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Although I do have a motorcycle lift ( not a table lift) in the shop, I haven't yet had need to put the F6B on it for any work. My only concern in the past having used it to lift a variety of bikes was to ensure that the points the lift come in contact with on the bike, are appropriate and strong enough to support the weight of the entire bike ( ie do not break any casting or crush exhaust components ) and equally level in relation to the underside of the machine to keep it level and secure. In some cases this has required making some spacers, usually out of wood to keep everything in good order. And I am getting to my point here......

once you have the bike elevated, level, balanced and secure, then it shouldn't make any difference if it is up there five minutes or five hours. A couple of caveats to that though....first that the location is locked up so kids or other folk that don't understand how tippy the bike might be don't have the opportunity to tip it over and perhaps injure themselves. Secondly, most good jacks have a locking device once elevated to act as backup against leaky hydraulics or what have you. I have seen some of these ratcheting devices wear out over the years and stop working as they should....however I have never seen this on a quality lift.....just an observation.

Also, the bike may be in a balanced position when lifted with the wheel on and become less so when the weight of the wheel and rim are removed/

My.02 for what it is worth.

tink

As a second thought I remember the Heritage in particular was quite front heavy when doing a rear tire change. In that case I used to lift the rear of the bike and leave the front wheel on the shop floor.....likely someone here knows the balance point of the F6B.....otherwise it might require a little trial and error to get it right.

I haven't quite got my head around putting the bike down on its side yet to change a tire either.....although this beast has changed a lot of my ideas on bikes so perhaps that will be just another small step to take when that time comes.

Looks quite painless on the videos online.

tink

dont even bother with a jack, just put down some cardboard and lay it over on its side to remove the rear.. It rests on the crash bars and you can take it off in about 10 minutes.
    Attachment 16316
    2013 Honda F6B #374 (darksided)
    2004 Honda NRX1800 RUNE #274
    2008 Can Am Spyder #21 (basically factory darksided. )
    1989 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police
    1992 Yamaha FJ1200

Quote Originally Posted by mtcgun View Post
    dont even bother with a jack, just put down some cardboard and lay it over on its side to remove the rear.. It rests on the crash bars and you can take it off in about 10 minutes.
    Attachment 16316
    This is how I do it. I make sure the gas is low. It shouldn't hurt it to lay there while you have the tire mounted.

Center Stand?

Your bike appears to have a backrest, so it's probably a Deluxe with center stand. If so, why not just use that rather than a lift? You could leave it on a center stand indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by mtcgun View Post
    Attachment 16316
    From this point do you have to rotate it even further pull the tire and wheel off?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    From this point do you have to rotate it even further pull the tire and wheel off?
    yea, pull the center stand out and that tilts it over a bit more.
    2013 Honda F6B #374 (darksided)
    2004 Honda NRX1800 RUNE #274
    2008 Can Am Spyder #21 (basically factory darksided. )
    1989 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police
    1992 Yamaha FJ1200

Sweet. That's awesome soldier work there. Thanks for the pic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

But if I leave it on its side in the garage my wife can't pull the mini van into the garage. I do not want to bring the wrath of god upon myself. Plus I think I will just use the lift with the jack stands it seems more practical than laying the bike on its side for a day while I get the tire mounted.

I have read somewhere that if I get the McGiver belly pan you can lift the bike with it. It seems to me that would give me a nice flat surface to jack up the bike.
    Steve