Our front tire on tar patches in the heat
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our front tire on tar patches in the heat

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar

Our front tire on tar patches in the heat

I'm not sure how I didn't notice this last year in the heat but our stock front tire is unsettling on the tar patches! I was in a round about with a good amount of patchwork and I thought several times I was going over. The front tire felt like it was going to wash out from under me first right then left. I intentionally hit a few of them in a forward straight up direction and the same thing happened, it literally felt like I was going to go down. Front tire pressure at 41psi checked before I left, girlfriend on the back, 10,000 miles on the tire. I'm not sure at this point what the outcome for me will be, I've never experienced this with any tire on any bike before. I think I will go out solo on the same road and ride it a few times back and forth and carefully watch what's happening. I'm sure it's more of a feeling of going down than the bike physically actually doing it but it's something I'm not used too and scared the doo doo out me. Anyone else experience this? It's 90+ here with high humidity so that tar is soft as butter.
    The force is strong in this one.....

shooter
    I had it with the stock stone and I had last weekend with a Metz 888. I think if the tar is plentiful enough you will have it with any tire.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I had it with the stock stone and as if kadt weekend I have it with a Metz 888. I think if the tar is plentiful enough you will have it with any tire.
    I'm guessing since the front tire on my 109 was a 160 I didn't notice it for the 5 years prior to the B.

Road snakes and 100 degree heat. not a good combination. imagine riding on this road! https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...8f20d2ab?hl=en

I've noticed it on every bike I've ever owned, but I live in southern Arizona where triple digits are normal.

Stocker on the 109

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    I'm guessing since the front tire on my 109 was a 160 I didn't notice it for the 5 years prior to the B.
    Stock tire on the M109R was a 130/70/18 just the same size as the front tire on the 6 only difference was the nine had Dunlops not stones.
    I ran the 130 Dunnies for 7 seasons and never had one fail to grip, but like the man said, don't trust any tire on hot asphalt. That is a big error in judgment!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Stock tire on the M109R was a 130/70/18 just the same size as the front tire on the 6 only difference was the nine had Dunlops not stones.
    I ran the 130 Dunnies for 7 seasons and never had one fail to grip, but like the man said, don't trust any tire on hot asphalt. That is a big error in judgment!!!
    The front tire on my 109 was a 160, it didn't do this at all.

Tar snakes are always a concern of mine when the heat gets up there around 90+....I am always mindful of the snakes while riding..
    When a Man Lies He Murders
    Some Part of the World
    These Are the Pale Deaths Which
    Men Miscall Their Lives
    All this I Cannot Bear
    to Witness Any Longer......

shooter
    I was in North West Arkansas last weekend and hit a stretch of pavement where the tar snake area exceeded the pavement area for about 5 miles. Honestly for the man hours it took to patch this road Arkansas could have laid a new road. The B did OK but I could feel it. It was 98 degrees that day which didn't help any. My 109 with the 160 front does better on the snakes.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    The front tire on my 109 was a 160, it didn't do this at all.
    Yeah when all I had was the 9 I used to wonder what all the fuss was about. That Metz 160 up front was rock solid in the snakes.