Our front tire on tar patches in the heat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our front tire on tar patches in the heat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stocker on the 109

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    I'm guessing since the front tire on my 109 was a 160 I didn't notice it for the 5 years prior to the B.
    Stock tire on the M109R was a 130/70/18 just the same size as the front tire on the 6 only difference was the nine had Dunlops not stones.
    I ran the 130 Dunnies for 7 seasons and never had one fail to grip, but like the man said, don't trust any tire on hot asphalt. That is a big error in judgment!!!

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Stock tire on the M109R was a 130/70/18 just the same size as the front tire on the 6 only difference was the nine had Dunlops not stones.
    I ran the 130 Dunnies for 7 seasons and never had one fail to grip, but like the man said, don't trust any tire on hot asphalt. That is a big error in judgment!!!
    The front tire on my 109 was a 160, it didn't do this at all.
    The force is strong in this one.....

Tar snakes are always a concern of mine when the heat gets up there around 90+....I am always mindful of the snakes while riding..
    When a Man Lies He Murders
    Some Part of the World
    These Are the Pale Deaths Which
    Men Miscall Their Lives
    All this I Cannot Bear
    to Witness Any Longer......

shooter
    I was in North West Arkansas last weekend and hit a stretch of pavement where the tar snake area exceeded the pavement area for about 5 miles. Honestly for the man hours it took to patch this road Arkansas could have laid a new road. The B did OK but I could feel it. It was 98 degrees that day which didn't help any. My 109 with the 160 front does better on the snakes.

shooter
    Yeah when all I had was the 9 I used to wonder what all the fuss was about. That Metz 160 up front was rock solid in the snakes.

Which 109 did you have?

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Yeah when all I had was the 9 I used to wonder what all the fuss was about. That Metz 160 up front was rock solid in the snakes.
    The 160 was awesome in the twisties! It absorbed bumps much better, handled better in the rain, gave a much more comfortable and secure ride, and looked incredible while doing it. All pros no cons for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Which 109 did you have?
    I had an 07 109. I put a 10 inch rim on the back and ran a 280, I had a 160 on a 4 inch rim up front. I had $3,000 in Coastal Moto rims on that bike, pricey but they looked great. Since you asked.....

The force is strong in this one.....

Like others have mentioned, I have experienced issues with every motorcycle and various brands of tires I have owned. Texas is hot and humid in summer months and tar snakes definitely get your attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[QUOTE=GiddyupF6B;85327]The 160 was awesome in the twisties! It absorbed bumps much better, handled better in the rain, gave a much more comfortable and secure ride, and looked incredible while doing it. All pros no cons for me.

I had an 07 109. I put a 10 inch rim on the back and ran a 280, I had a 160 on a 4 inch rim up front. I had $3,000 in Coastal Moto rims on that bike, pricey but they looked great. Since you asked.....

How many clutch cables did you break Had a 06 with a 250 on the stock rim. A great bike but it was hell on clutch cables. Went through 3 while I had the bike Decided to trade it after several owners cracked the driveshaft tube

The 160 was awesome in the twisties! It absorbed bumps much better, handled better in the rain, gave a much more comfortable and secure ride, and looked incredible while doing it. All pros no cons for me.

Very nice. That's why I asked.