Our front tire on tar patches in the heat - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our front tire on tar patches in the heat

shooter
    Larry that graphic is true but we all know its not possible. I was riding on a road in Arkansas last week that would have taken me 3 years to make five miles obeying that graphic.

I wish they were that easy. Our snakes run parallel with direction of travel. That's an exit hole squeezer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

shooter
    I might have damaged my seat a little in Arkansas. 90 degree corners , tar snake overload and 97 degree heat. It was a pucker-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Larry that graphic is true but we all know its not possible. I was riding on a road in Arkansas last week that would have taken me 3 years to make five miles obeying that graphic.
    Oh I understand completely, and only proffered that graphic as general info for people that may not have encountered bad tar snakes or know a good way to approach them when possible.
    Definitely not possible when you encounter ones like below

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

fl1madmax

Yea Buddy there SLICK !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Oh I understand completely, and only proffered that graphic as general info for people that may not have encountered bad tar snakes or know a good way to approach them when possible.
    Definitely not possible when you encounter ones like below

I rode on 129 to 75 from Cleveland to Murphy NC. the road was full of Tar Snakes, because Florida is so Flat and Straight, never experienced the feeling that I did , 96 degrees and winding roads, I've been across US on my Harley but even accelerating in a straight line the F6B wanted to brake the rear tire lose, lots of power small foot print, just have to behave , and enjoy the mountains ! Ride Safe , Ride Often...........so ready to retire, 6 more Months !

160 front tire

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    I'm guessing since the front tire on my 109 was a 160 I didn't notice it for the 5 years prior to the B.
    I had a 2010 m 109 r and I put a avon storm 160 60 18 ,rear tire on the front. I couldn't believe how much better the bike handled.

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I have been riding motorcycles for over 50 years on and off and never had this issue until this last month when it was very hot and humid outside here in Michigan..As said above it scared the "hell" out of me for a while on the road I was on, which was full of "tar snakes", until I turned off and it went away...Thought for sure I was going down and the front end had come apart or something very serious...Came right home, checked the tire pressure (40) and then gave the front end a good inspection....After reading this thread, and others like it, I realized it came from the type of tire on the F6B. Others have said it comes from the big rain groove down the center of the OEM tire on the front....Now that I know this info I will make a point to avoid roads with a large number of these patches on it....although it will be a challenge as Michigan roads "suck"....Ride safe....
    Ok I feel better now. I thought my tire was shot, my front end was shot, the suspension was shot....

HMMOG I did not enjoy that.

More Noticeable on the F6B

My F6B seems more susceptible to tar snakes than my two old Valkyries. The tar can be downright scary on the F6B, but only an irritation on the Valkyries. Maybe that wide (150) front tire on the Valk minimizes the effect. I run Avon Cobras on the Valkyries, and have thought about trying them on the F6B.

Without a doubt, this bike is the worst of any I've ever ridden. I guess it's an unlucky combination of wheelbase, rake, weight and tire....

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    My F6B seems more susceptible to tar snakes than my two old Valkyries. The tar can be downright scary on the F6B, but only an irritation on the Valkyries. Maybe that wide (150) front tire on the Valk minimizes the effect. I run Avon Cobras on the Valkyries, and have thought about trying them on the F6B.
    Dave you might have something with the width of the tire. I was used to my 109 with the 160 on it. It was really solid on the snakes. The B gas scared the shyt out of me several times.