New Comp-S Slip-On Exhaust for F6B - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Comp-S Slip-On Exhaust for F6B

Any acceleration or gas mileage performance difference?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    The pipes don't sound too loud from your clip, but what's your take on them?
    Your clip is very different than the TBR clip, as expected.
    Can you summarize your findings?
    Thanks for taking the time to share. Not many do that.
    BB, I wouldn't want my pipes to sound any louder than they currently are. The pipes have a nice growl and deep rumble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Very good job on that, VP8 . I really liked that you provided different views for sound comparison. It's hard to tell for sure but it seems the drone problem, like we notice from many of the aftermarket exhaust systems, is not so bad with these. What's it like cruising at highway speeds?
    Hornblower, Thanks for the compliment. I can hear the pipes at freeway speeds and I can still hear my stereo with a volume setting of 15.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Thanks for taking the time VP8, nice video. I was surprised at how nice the exhaust sounded in the "off the line" clips. I was a little disheartened after reading about your install difficulties, but your video may have sold them for me....
    Elroy, it was a tougher install than expected... but it became easier after I made all my mistakes on the one side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by toy_collector View Post
    Any acceleration or gas mileage performance difference?
    Toy, maybe a little faster acceleration. It's still early to determine mph changes. I just installed them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by VP8 View Post
    I just finished installing it early this morning. First of all, one of TBR exhaust's arrived with gouges and scratches on one of the exhausts near the mounting bracket. This was because TBR didn't put a barrier of some sort between the two pipes in the middle. This caused the pipes to shift and turn during transport, so one of the mounting brackets kept scratching/gouging the other exhaust. The good news is, the scratches/gouges are on the inside of the bike, so at least its hidden... but it would have really been upsetting to wait so long and receive pipes that are damaged. I've already notified TBR they should improve their packing to prevent this problem from occurring in the future.

Man, it was a pain in the neck to install. The stock pipes are way easier to install than these TBR pipes. The stock pipes have a fixed connector that connects to the bike's pipe so once it's on, all you have to do is turn the stock pipes to meet it with the mounting bolt under the saddlebags... then Walla, it's all lined up.

But with the TBR pipes, you install an included connector which you insert into the TBR exhaust and connect it to the bike's pipe. You will have to continually turn the connector to it's desired position so the exhaust points to the proper position. I spent a lot of time trying to make the two exhausts even. The TBR instructions say it may be easier to remove the front heat shields (due to the grommet hooks on the pipe that need to slide into the heat shield) prior to the install. Well...I tried to install the TBR pipes without removing the heat shields, and it just didn't work. If you are installing the pipes yourself, you will need to remove the front heat shields. If there are two installers, than you may be able to get away with not removing it. The pain in the ass was lining up the grommet hooks from the TBR exhaust to the heat shields. I thought the front heat shield would be lined up flushed with the exhaust pipe like the stock setup... well, nope... the heat shield actually overlaps the TBR exhaust.

I haven't started up the bike yet. I had to touch up my paint on the front heat shields because when I was trying to initially install the TBR exhaust, I kept scratching the edge of my front heat shields. So I have to allow the paint time to completely dry before I start up the bike.

I'll provide my feedback of these pipes hopefully later today. I'm also working on a video comparison between the stock and TBR pipes.
    VP8, is it required to remove the lower exhaust covers in order to remove the heat shields? Just going by memory I believe it would be....

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    VP8, is it required to remove the lower exhaust covers in order to remove the heat shields? Just going by memory I believe it would be....
    It is not required to remove the exhaust in order to remove the front heat Shields. You will need to remove the front lower cowl and protector assembly to remove the front heat shields. Refer to my how to video if you'd like as a reference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vp8 - what windshield are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by VP8 View Post
    Hornblower, Thanks for the compliment. I can hear the pipes at freeway speeds and I can still hear my stereo with a volume setting of 15.
    Is the sound you hear at freeway speed a nice exhaust note sound or is it a very resonant and annoying hum?
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    or is it a very resonant and annoying hum?
    AKA drone