Turn your stock windscreen into gold - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turn your stock windscreen into gold

So I'm thrilled! I'm almost certainly going to try this is some configuration -- just have to decide which one. I tend to try and get too much flexibility and ultimately get no one thing I'm truly satisfied with so I want to run my potential options by you. All are based on a "tour" size version.

I've thought about blacking out my stock screen for a long time. To be "safe" as far as going back, I've considered Plasti-Dip so it could be peeled off. I'd like to use the clamp version with it so it could be removed for the short, "fashion" rides. But would Plasti-Dip or really any finish stand up to repeated on/off of the clamp? Maybe I just go drilled and live with it that way, huh? Blacking out the original shield shouldn't give me too poor of a viewing angle, should it? I haven't had the stock shield on since week one so I don't really remember the view. Also I now have a Mustang seat so I sit slightly lower than stock changing the sightline that way too.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mounting Hardware Only?

Hey,
    I think I found how to get the mounting hardware only. This way one could use the spare shields they have around already. Plus, I might want to try something a bit wider.

Here is a link. Looks like the price is around $65 - don't know about shipping ...

Oops - Just tried checking out. They do not deliver directly to the USA.

'nother update: Can get these on ebay, but the shipping is more than the item. Time to mull this over ....

https://www.mrashop.de/erp/catalog/n...066132065.html

Attachment 14884
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe View Post
    So I'm thrilled! I'm almost certainly going to try this is some configuration -- just have to decide which one. I tend to try and get too much flexibility and ultimately get no one thing I'm truly satisfied with so I want to run my potential options by you. All are based on a "tour" size version.

I've thought about blacking out my stock screen for a long time. To be "safe" as far as going back, I've considered Plasti-Dip so it could be peeled off. I'd like to use the clamp version with it so it could be removed for the short, "fashion" rides. But would Plasti-Dip or really any finish stand up to repeated on/off of the clamp? Maybe I just go drilled and live with it that way, huh? Blacking out the original shield shouldn't give me too poor of a viewing angle, should it? I haven't had the stock shield on since week one so I don't really remember the view. Also I now have a Mustang seat so I sit slightly lower than stock changing the sightline that way too.
    Blacking the stock should not, IMO, hurt any visibility. One question, what about getting some window tint instead of a Plasti-Dip as an experiment so it would be easier to remove in case it doesn't work out. If it does you can go with a more permanent solution. The bolt on version folds all the way down to almost the height of the stock shield so there is no need to keep taking it on and off. You could also lay it flat to bring the air right at you (picture attached). However, if you go with the bolt on try Baggershield as the have a short tinted shield that will hold because the hardware for the shorty screen is plastic, a very hard plastic, so it wouldn't be as harsh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FWIW, the opaque black MadStad F6B base is 2" taller in the center than the stock shield.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Blacking the stock should not, IMO, hurt any visibility. One question, what about getting some window tint instead of a Plasti-Dip as an experiment so it would be easier to remove in case it doesn't work out. If it does you can go with a more permanent solution. The bolt on version folds all the way down to almost the height of the stock shield so there is no need to keep taking it on and off. You could also lay it flat to bring the air right at you (picture attached). However, if you go with the bolt on try Baggershield as the have a short tinted shield that will hold because the hardware for the shorty screen is plastic, a very hard plastic, so it wouldn't be as harsh.
    The tint is a fantastic idea! You have the sport and not the tour size pictured correct? I don't like the look of the Baggershield (or the Madstad) at all. Windbender I like OK, but I don't really want to spend that much as I'm not dissatisfied with the short Clearview. It's more an aesthetic thing I'm looking at.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe View Post
    The tint is a fantastic idea! You have the sport and not the tour size pictured correct? I don't like the look of the Baggershield (or the Madstad) at all. Windbender I like OK, but I don't really want to spend that much as I'm not dissatisfied with the short Clearview. It's more an aesthetic thing I'm looking at.
    I have the touring pictured, and I think the tint will just work fine.